The best route to south of France? (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hi busby, so it's you I get stuck behind on those slow bits, jogin along like your on holiday!! ( Joke )
So correct,,but I do pull over for trucks,,they have a wage to earn. BUSBY.

Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
Trucks travel faster than me,,i sit at 50mph in France most of the time,,,BUSBY.

Thats fine as long as you move over and stop periodically to let faster traffic past.

Holding other motorists up is the main reason why we have such a bad reputation with other motorists, most of whom are not on holiday and working for a living.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
Getting back on topic (sorry!), if using toll roads then from the Perpignan Region back to Callais then we go slightly further wide by going viw Reims. We travel quite fast but last time we never took it off cruise control and never had to slow down the entire route.

It avoids Paris and Rouen, we particularly dislike the Rouen route and have had horrible delays. In a car we go via Paris but I don't like it in the camping car.

Have a great trip.

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
So correct,,but I do pull over for trucks,,they have a wage to earn. BUSBY.
I do that all the time, I drove the big uns for quite a few years,even when I am out in the car I see a parcel delivery van, I flash him and let him go, probably got about 200 drops for that day .did it pre 1986 when I had a caravan. Bruce Just spotted post 34 we are off topic ( sorry)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
We did the avoid the abbeville toll section detour once never again I would rather pay the 12 euros

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Thats fine as long as you move over and stop periodically to let faster traffic past.

Holding other motorists up is the main reason why we have such a bad reputation with other motorists, most of whom are not on holiday and working for a living.n
Speed limit on non dual carriageway
roads in France is 80 kph,,ie 50 mph,,odd places it's 55 mph,Spain it's 55 mph so not holding any one up really.BUSBY.

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
A little off topic, what route would be best to the south of France in winter ?? I will be making this trip in Jan/Feb

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
A little off topic, what route would be best to the south of France in winter ?? I will be making this trip in Jan/Feb
Westerly one but not much open sitewise in South of France then and the weather although better than UK don't expect much warmth...or sunshine.That time of year you need to be south of The Ebro. BUSBY.

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
Thanks I should have been more specific, I want to take a ferry from Toulon to Majorca for the winter, we have accommodation there and want to use the van to tour the island, the routes I know are all over high ground (massif central) Google shows the northern route to be the quickest Reims, Dijon, Lyon, Avigon. I have never travelled in France in winter so don't know what to expect crossing from west to east.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Thanks I should have been more specific, I want to take a ferry from Toulon to Majorca for the winter, we have accommodation there and want to use the van to tour the island, the routes I know are all over high ground (massif central) Google shows the northern route to be the quickest Reims, Dijon, Lyon, Avigon. I have never travelled in France in winter so don't know what to expect crossing from west to east.
Unlike UK even high routes like the 75 over Millau Bridge seldom get closed all though temps get down to minus 20 sometimes because of the altitude..BUSBY.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Clickem 's route is the classic caravaners REDC route. Rouen, Evreux, Dreux, Chartres ->Orleans -> Clermont-Ferrand.
Paris and the peripherique is not that bad an alternative if you are a confident driver especially if you are aware of your route and the exit points (use your route planner then examine using Google Maps with Streetview)
If you ever do use the Peripherique then stay away from the right hand lane as it is the lane for exiting and only get into just after passing the one just before your exit so a good navigator or SatNav is essential otherwise you get severely held up. Have done this several times including at peak times and not too bad and go with the flow!

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
If you ever do use the Peripherique then stay away from the right hand lane as it is the lane for exiting and only get into just after passing the one just before your exit so a good navigator or SatNav is essential otherwise you get severely held up. Have done this several times including at peak times and not too bad and go with the flow!
The issue with that tactic is that if it goes to 3 lanes and you sit in the middle one then the French will let you know about it. Going with the flow means someone will fill the gap in front of you and with exits both left and right it just adds to the fun. Peak times are easier as the trafic is more sedate. There is definitely a learning curve to get to 'not too bad'.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back