Best Route To Bavarian Alps in May (1 Viewer)

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
We are heading down to Bavaria area in May and just wondered what the best route to take would be I was thinking of going on the tunnel then into Belgium over to the border at Archen then Stuttgart Munich and onto Bavaria. This is the route I used to take whilst driving trucks 25 years ago but wanted to know if there is a better motorhome route rather than just ploughing down the autobahns

We have 2-3 weeks to complete the trip start to finish

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Watching with interest,,BUSBY.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We have 2-3 weeks to complete the trip start to finish
With only 2-3 weeks available, I'd be reverting back to the Trucking days, and ploughing on down the Autobahns. ;)

We love Bavaria. Your time would be better spent touring the various tourist routes through the region, and doing the 2 x day hit on the way back too. (y)

Just as a wee taster. ;)

Enjoy,

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
You can cut a corner off your route and get cheaper fuel by going via Luxembourg. Then head for Prinsen -a section from there to near the Rhine that isnt autobahn but it is quite direct. We went from Stafelsee to Saar Louis in a day ( on the way back).

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Yep, totally agree re Luxembourg for the cheaper fuel. (y)

Our route previously.

Cheers,

That looks interesting Jock, from what I can see it's all motorway? I have to go to just Nth of Munich to collect my Morelo at the end of April. I will be going out in the Flair. Did you per chance have some good aire/campsite stops en route, as we will manage it in 2-300 mile chuncks.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
You can cut a corner off your route and get cheaper fuel by going via Luxembourg. Then head for Prinsen -a section from there to near the Rhine that isnt autobahn but it is quite direct. We went from Stafelsee to Saar Louis in a day ( on the way back).
Oops -seeing @JockandRita s post I realised that it is Pirmasens not Prinsen.The route we took (427 on the map) also cut off the corner between Pirmasens and the Rhine. Shorter distance and pretty but probably not faster than autobahn all the way.
Paddy

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
That looks interesting Jock, from what I can see it's all motorway? I have to go to just Nth of Munich to collect my Morelo at the end of April. I will be going out in the Flair. Did you per chance have some good aire/campsite stops en route, as we will manage it in 2-300 mile chuncks.
We stopped at the stellplatz at Saar Louis (ok but didnt particularly like the town tho it was raining cats and dogs at the time. Previously when less hurried we have stopped at the stellplatz at Saarburg. €10 I thunk but v convenient for a picturesque little town. I think there may be a free stellplatz a bit further out of town (easily cyclable)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Hi Michael, our first stop would normally have been the Aire at Han Sur Lesse, but on the last time we did it, we were recommended the Camperstop on Port De Plaisance, at Peruwelz. Then we went on to Hans Sur Lesse. Our next overnighter was at the Aire in Redange, as we weren't in any rush. Avoiding Capellan Services on the A6 (Luxembourg) didn't deprive us of cheaper fuel, as it appears to be the same price throughout the country, regardless of which route you are on. :)

After Luxembourg, I am at a loss to remember where we stayed, prior to arriving at Erding, near Munich. :) However, there are Stellplatz along the route somewhere. (y)

Revised Map.

Cheers,

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Previously when less hurried we have stopped at the stellplatz at Saarburg. €10 I thunk but v convenient for a picturesque little town.
Thanks for reminding me Paddy. (y)

Yes, well worth the stopover, and such a beautiful small German town, with waterfalls running through the centre. (y)

Cheers,

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I now have some dates for my trip I will be getting the tunnel on the 9th May around 9.30am.

I am booked on the carthago factory tour so need to be down there by the evening of the 12th so can anyone please recommend any must see places on my way down.

I have been to Germany 100's of times in a truck but just steaming up and down the motorways so I want to do this trip avoiding as many motorways as possible and seeing some sites on the way down

Many thanks
LB

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
We always stop on the aire in Peruwelz , Belgium. Then on to Luxembourg for cheap petrol and any of the nice sites. Then somewhere along the Mozelle . Then on to the beautiful Rosenbourg au der tauber. then Nordlingen. After that it depends on your preferences but we enjoyed going down to Fussen to see the castles in the area.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back