Best route planner App for cycling routes (1 Viewer)

Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
Hi everyone,
We are looking at route planning some trips and want to do a fair bit of cycling whilst away.
There seem to be various apps for walking/cycling such as Komoot, Strava, Alltrails etc but can anyone recommend the best one?
Google maps doesn't seem to use cycle routes at all.

cheers
Chris

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
I use a combination of OS Maps, Strava or Komoot for planning. OS Gives you the most accurate idea of where you can ride, Komoot has good suggestions from other people on where to Ride and Strava tracks it all.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Kano it is excellent for both cycling and walking

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Viewranger app you can add a destination then click plan route from your location and it will do it for you.
Does need an internet connection to do this though.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Do you have access to a PC?
For UK walking & cycling I’ve used <Broken link removed>’s OS maps for years. Occasionally I look at other routing programs but not for long.

If there’s a route on Strava I’d like, I’d export it as a gpx file and edit it in MM.
Then export from MM to my GPSr
They support other operating systems it Windows is what I’ve done 99.9% of my use.

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
I still use "Where's the Path" if you Goggle it you can use the OS maps and look for the thick red dotted lines.
Bing maps also uses OS maps.
Phil

OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
Wow - thanks everyone! :clap:
I didn't realise there were so many different ways! That's made it even more interesting :giggle:
Mainly we are looking to use existing cyclepaths when we go away - is there one way of finding them by just typing a location in?
We found a main cycle route came through our local area and we didn't even know!
Now we seem to spend all our time looking for the little blue signs while we are out.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Wow - thanks everyone! :clap:
I didn't realise there were so many different ways! That's made it even more interesting :giggle:
Mainly we are looking to use existing cyclepaths when we go away - is there one way of finding them by just typing a location in?
We found a main cycle route came through our local area and we didn't even know!
Now we seem to spend all our time looking for the little blue signs while we are out.
Are you looking for UK cycle routes?

Sustrans does our cycle routes.
The link I pasted is to a general routes page but from somewhere there you can get to a OS hosted “live” map of our routes. Sustrans mapped ones and other cycle friendly tracks, iirc

edit. Found this “you can get to a OS hosted “live” map”. It’s “view this route in OS map” 😎

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Yes just type in "Manchester cycle trails" it will show you all the most used trail maps, kamoot, gps trails, local council routes.
Phil

MikeLeics

Free Member
Nov 11, 2020
Midlands
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
camping for decades!
I would recommend https://cycle.travel/map - AWESOME piece of work, from what I have seen.
Favours cycle routes, quieter roads. Slightly tricky to do a multi-destination route, but easy to use and VERY simple to drag-to-adjust route on map.
I am starting to use it in prep for a gentle LEJoG I hope to complete next year....
Also easy to save and export GPS to use on devices.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Ride with GPS is a very popular app with cyclists, i use it quite a lot when cycling whilst away in the van and i find it works very well.

Additionally if you're looking for routes that people have already ridden in a particular area then Wikiloc is very good especially for MTB, trails and tracks etc

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I’ve been trying Trailforks and AllTrails for my mountain biking, and both are useless. Will try a few of the above.

Deleted User
I don't ride for competition and I've found Google maps are pretty good if you have a smartphone.

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Plotaroute...... I tend to sort several routes out before I travel...... they are then in various formats....I use a GPS cycle computer so they are on there....but you can with Plotaroute pop the route into your phone app of choice or print off as a hard copy..... I also check any new route via the KML download into Google Earth....
You can use this for walking too but the KML option is only good on the roads..... the other good thing is....you can opt for your map screen....open street maps, Paths maps, Cycle maps....etc.... You can also have the Free option or the paid option like most sites and apps these days

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I’ve been trying Trailforks and AllTrails for my mountain biking, and both are useless. Will try a few of the above.

Try Wikiloc, used it for my recent MTB excursions and have been amazed at some local routes i never knew. All there and ready to download for free.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Will do. I paid to upgrade Trailforks, but it only lists what others put up. Which so far is nowhere that I’ve been too.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
IF you just want cycle paths and track not off grid MTB tracks, Maps.me takes a lot of beating by comparison Google maps is totally useless for cycle and footpaths.

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
However, cycle.travel.map only shows selected trails. If you look at os maps you will see every bridlepath and every one is available to you on a bike.
Phil

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Whatever you decide on be careful what others have posted....I use Wikilok at home because the Spanish like this....and Komoot in Northern Europe....the need to be careful comes from the poster making a navigational mistake and not correcting it before posting...therefore if using turn by turn instructions...whatever mistakes they have made, you make also.....some good routes can be followed in areas new to you...we just love it.....

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I don't ride for competition and I've found Google maps are pretty good if you have a smartphone.
I think in competitions some one else is recording the times and there are signs & marshals to keep you on course :unsure: - unless self navigating is part of the competition (e.g. an orienteering event).

If it's competition from apps like Strava being discussed, you'd need to not be able to just worry about your own routes and trails; as there's no requirement that by using the app you must get sucked into rushing out to beat a segment time that someone else just beat, imo.

I mention Strava but that is best for the trail history. I don't think much of its routing - not used it enough to say others can't get value from it though.
I create routes via Memory Map & export the route to my GPSr - hiking & cycling uses.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Yes. I’m using my Memory-Map app and find it hard to beat, but would be nice to go to an area and see what others have cycled.

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Today I have used "Where's the Path 3" an OS mapping app for cyclists.
I swipe though the route and take a screenshot of any difficult bits and they are in my pocket if needed.
But the best bit is getting lost and finding new paths.
Phil

MikeLeics

Free Member
Nov 11, 2020
Midlands
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
camping for decades!
However, cycle.travel.map only shows selected trails. If you look at os maps you will see every bridlepath and every one is available to you on a bike.
Phil
OS maps are the best....but not so easy to plan a route with! I help facilitate DofE (not much this year!!) - their online tool is okay for planning the walking routes, but no way will it rapidly let you plan a decent route.
Cycle.travel can plan VERY fast for you, & you can drag things around or just ask it to find a route of distance X from any point.

I doubt any is perfect.
Plan to take a look at RideWithGPS.
I heard Komoot was best for off road (not my expertise!). Not come across Plotaroute before.
Sustrans was always a bit disappointing - a country full of cycle paths, yet no easy way to plan with them! I see it looks like they have now partnered with OS Maps for around £2pcm....might be worth a look if it picks decent routes (free 7-day trial).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back