Best route from West Sussex to Edinburgh, early September. (1 Viewer)

Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro 494
Exp
Caravanned for 30 years, nearly two years in with the motorhome.
Evening, could anyone offer their advice on the best road to take for the above. West side M6 or the East side so to speak M1. A recommended overnight stop would also be useful. Thank you.

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
That’s quite a drive,I would use the east side,far nicer drive,I personally think you will need two overnights, maybe just north of the Wash, and the another half way to Scotland,,whatever you decide, you’ll have a great time,,enjoy, (y)

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I wouldn’t start from there, but if forced A1 every time And I’d probably stop twice, but then again I don’t like early starts or late finishes

Last edited:

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
A recommended overnight stop suggests your doing this in 2 days?

if so M23, M25, M11, A14, A1. BritStops Newark to Doncaster.

but add another stopover and it’s more interesting, M23, M25, A10, A1198, A1, A15(Humber Bridge), A1079, A19, A66, A68 (Great drive)

stop over Sleaford to Lincoln, Darlington to Otterburn.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PaulandAngie
Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro 494
Exp
Hi, just looking to stop once. We are seasoned French Mediterranean in one overnight, so we are hoping to apply the same here.

Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
I'm presuming that you have a pitch booked somewhere around Edinburgh Paul and Angie? September tends to be busy, what with the (soon to restart) festival and supporting acts. I would tend to plan my route based on what side of the city you plan to camp. A701 is scenic (exit M74 at Moffat) but hilly, the A702 further north tends to be the favoured exit by visitors but busy. Both these roads will take you out quite near Mortonhall camping. The A70 route is quieter but fractured in it's direction of approach but will bring you in to the west side of city for Siverknowes. For the east side of the City, A68 or A1. The run through parts of the border or along the coast is lovely but if you can, when arriving in the Edinburgh area, avoid the city bypass as it generally runs to capacity most days with large tail backs around Sheriffhall roundabout and is particularly bad early morning and early evening. Hope this helps.

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
Hi, just looking to stop once. We are seasoned French Mediterranean in one overnight, so we are hoping to apply the same here.
You may well be, but think of all the lovely bits in between your missing,,it’s all about the journey (y)

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
Sod that, I like driving,but that’s a yomp,,couldn’t be bothered in one go.

Deleted User
Why use motorways, it's not compulsory just because they are free.

Take your time and see the real England/Scotland :Smile:

OP
OP
PaulandAngie
Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro 494
Exp
Morning, we will be staying at the C&M club site in Edinburgh. Thank you all for the responses. I will need to get the map out and appreciate your advice. The Satnav is set to 7.5t to avoid hopefully any narrow situations.

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Morning, we will be staying at the C&M club site in Edinburgh. Thank you all for the responses. I will need to get the map out and appreciate your advice. The Satnav is set to 7.5t to avoid hopefully any narrow situations.
If you don’t want the hassle of looking for a overnight stop try the CAMC sites clumber park caravan site (next to Worksop) or white water caravan site (Middlesbrough of the A19) both are easy access of the motorways a bit further up of course is Berwick however if you don’t mind a detour Helmsley is a lovely spot (council approved overnight parking car park) this may make the drive less of a chore But it does take you out of the way a bit, depends if you want to just plough on or take your time.

Sep 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Since 2009
On the journey from central scotland we stop at Boroughbridge, there is a car park with overnight stops allowed. We then fuel up at Morrisons supermarket to save being ripped off by service station prices

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back