Best route and overnight stop from Calais to East coast Spain? (1 Viewer)

Grannyvan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Pop top
Exp
Newbie Solo
I am going off solo (dog and cat ) to Calais on Monday heading for Altea (near Benidorm). Unrealistic to expect to reach there in one day as I get sleepy after about 5 hours driving and I am a bit scared to stop in aires or petrol stations.
Any one got any suggestions please? I would be most grateful.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Yes! The N10 route. Follow this link:
http://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

When you get to Spain use this link:
http://about-spain.net/travel/map.htm

Go through the Somport tunnel (difficult in winter) to save Tolls on the A63 which are over €20.00 one way.
No need to pay any tolls in Spain and all doable on motorways.(Well almost!)
You can do it in 3 days, although I know of one Funster who has done it within one day using toll roads only and driving for a very long time.

Hope this helps, if you need more info ask away.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Have you not got the ACSI discount book ?

If not get to Vicarious books and buy it. You'll not be short of a safe site with that.

If you have a Microsoft laptop I'd buy the ACSI DVD as well, this is so easy to use to find campsites. You do need the ASCI book as well if you want to get the discount card.

We've never had a problem on French aires ( NOT motorway aires ) or their municipal campsites. That's another book in the Vicarious range.

But Spanish aires, we've not been lucky with those.

And once in Altea make sure you walk along the front and find the Dutch owned cafe that sell the most amazing home made Apfelstrudel.

Are you going to Cap Blanch ? A great position.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Just above Poitiers at Jaunay-Clan there's Parc Futuroscope's MH parking area which is huge, security fenced with an automated barrier, close to the autoroute, is manned by Parc staff most of the day, is well-populated by fellow MH owners, and is very cheap between 5pm and 8am. You have to be 3.5m or below in height to get in.

A short drive around the corner is a large Auchan supermarket with MH friendly petrol station.

You don't have to visit Parc Futuroscope itself to use their overnight parking.

It's about 400 miles down the autoroute from Calais, just over half way to the Spanish border.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
You can do it in 3 days, although I know of one Funster who has done it within one day using toll roads only and driving for a very long time.

My ears are burning.:rolleyes:
Actually I do it in about 34 hours and always sleep on the motorway services.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Following Philippft's N10 route there is a nice aire at Marboue just before Chateaudun right at the side of the N10. We then used the small one at Nersac followed by a friends drive and then cross into Spain at by the coast at Saint Jean de Luz/San Sebastian aires at both places.

As Pappajohn says there is no rush so get the aires book and you will find loads of places to stop that match the miles you want to do, the Campercontact app is very good also I use in on my I-phone and have Tom Tom on there as well so you can navigate straight from the app without putting co-ordinates in even.

Happy travels

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Did it in 28 hours once with a 90 minute kip at Clermont, tolls all the way, cost a bloody fortune but it was in a Mondeo, not Harriet.

26 hours for the return, without the kip

Mind, I was younger then (only 60) and in hurry, wouldn't recommend it though, I was knackered for weeks after. :blush:

Hymie.

Deleted User
Did it in 28 hours once with a 90 minute kip at Clermont, tolls all the way, cost a bloody fortune but it was in a Mondeo, not Harriet.

26 hours for the return, without the kip

Mind, I was younger then (only 60) and in hurry, wouldn't recommend it though, I was knackered for weeks after. :blush:

Hymie.
And lucky you didn't kill yourself or someone else (n)

Keep death off the roads!!

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
And lucky you didn't kill yourself or someone else (n)

Keep death off the roads!!

Couldn't agree more, but sometimes circumstances dictate events.

Tiredness, like someone's ability to absorb alcohol, is a personal thing, who, other than myself, is fit to say what my tolerance to lack of sleep is.

Hymie

Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
Hi Grannyvan
If you are interested in the route I take with over night stops and coordinates, just send me you’re email address via a PM and I will post to you.
Regards
Ray

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years , tugging for 27 years
Hydro cell i would like this information if you don't mind but not sure how to pm you with my email

Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
Just send request for route to Spain to this E Mail raymondliddington@hotmail.com and I will send the route with stops back to you.
All the stops that I use have been safe, never had any problems over the last 8 years and I normally use them at least twice per year.
Regards
Ray

alanvm64

Free Member
May 5, 2013
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Elddis Sunseeker 130
Exp
Since 2008
We have just arrived in the Costa Blanca, we used the ACSI sites no problem this time of the year no need to book. Used some toll roads in France but mainly none toll, did not use any toll roads in Spain using the A7 and N340.
Took us 7 days, but we were in no hurry as we are spending 7 weeks in Spain.

Karen and Alan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back