Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
We have a reasonable quality German van (LMC) with the usual mixed standard of bought in fixtures from the likes of Remis.

The taps seem to be by Reich, judging from the pipe fittings and they are splitting in the body or the spout or both. The kitchen one was replaced two years ago, so I'm not thrilled. We use the van heavily (been away on this trip since November), but not heavy handedly.

Are there better quality taps available that would fit into the hole in the sink (kitchen) and panel (washroom)? It's difficult to tell by looking at web sites.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dave

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well as long as they fit the water pipe you are attaching them to - and the same applies for house taps - you need to know that before buying any tap. We didn't drain down enough one winter and the kitchen sink tap 'blew' on the Bessie and Pete replaced it with a normal stainless steel mixer tap same as you'd have for the sink at home.

Damn sight cheaper than from a caravan etc accessory shop. Worked 100% fine.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Domestic taps have the same size tails & would be best - BUT not if your system uses tap microswitches to turn on the pump. If it's a pressure-switched system there is no reason (other than weight) not to use a domestic mixer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
I've replaced the spout of our kitchen one twice. First time although the rest was drained down, a bit of frozen water split it and made it dribble. I replaced it, and that never performed satisfactorily having a dribble at the base from the outset and within months peeling chrome.

I had bought the first from a supposedly reputable dealer. However the second I bought was from a different dealer and seemed manufactured to a higher standard and didn't dribble.

I suspect that there are pirate Reich spares about. The price they are would make it worthwhile :)

Dick

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As mentioned by sedge, if it isn't a micro-switch tap (ie no electric wires coming out of the bottom) then a standard domestic type mixer tap should be a better quality/cheaper replacement, and there's also a lot more choice too.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have solid chrome domestic taps in ours, no reason you couldn't fit the same if you have a pressure system

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
plus one for a domestic tap ours was a fold dowm one under the lid and we had 3 in two years gave up and put one next to the sink in the work top just used adapters from 1/2 inch to 12 mm pushfit

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I too use domestic taps on all conversions with the exception of when a 9222 sink cooker unit is used -simply because I get them (fold down type) with the unit -They are micro switched but we just do not connect the wires and use a pumped system or if in a small van simply wire the pump to a switch rather than depend on the stupid micro switches (y) The hardest bit is/was finding the 15 mm to 12 mm push reducers but I have a good supply of them now ;)so almost all of the pipework is now done in 15 mm
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back