Best Product For Cleaning Roof (1 Viewer)

Cliffy38

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Harlow
Funster No
MH
Elddis 175 Prestige
Exp
since 2012
I have just bought a 2 year old elddis 175. the dealer had obviously cleaned the sides but the roof is black, and probably not been cleaned in 2 years. what is the best product to clean the roof? also will the roof hold the weight if I got on and cleaned it that way. I started using MER, which is bringing the dirt off but hard work, just wondered if there is anything easier

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Elbow grease....

Or, you could try Fenwicks Motorhome cleaner. Gets rid of green and black stuff, but, as above, don't do it on a sunny day.
Then a good quality car shampoo with wax. I use Meguires Gold Class. Works well for me

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Just cleaned mine today I use a watered down salution of truck wash and cheap wash and wax from the poundshop .stepladder and hose
(Make sure roof and sides are wet as it can streak ) got it in a garden spay bottle just a little then extended handle brush hose off and job done.
There are more expensive cleaners like Mer ,but have used this method successfully for years :)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
image.jpg
Autosmart G101, but use as-instructed rinse well and use a good wax after(y)

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I use Fenwicks (y)
I open main heiki roof vent and with step ladder in van I get up and sit on edge of opening.Carolyn passes hose up to me and I have long handled brush.What I can't reach that way I use ladder against side of van,the front overhang is most difficult bit to polish.I use a thing called a Swiffer with a cloth soaked in Auto Glym.

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Biological washing liquid , good strong solution, nice soft brush, really good rinse of after and then a wash in a good car wash a wax, may take a few times but works a treat

Be very careful with traffic film remover, it works as it strips the top layer of paint off (acidic solution, used in a stronger solution to clean the brake disk dust of alloy wheels) if you are going to use it make sure you rinse it off well as it will ruin any graphics you have

OP
OP
Cliffy38

Cliffy38

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Harlow
Funster No
MH
Elddis 175 Prestige
Exp
since 2012
Well I made the decision, get somebody else to do it:). The professional motorhome cleaner arrived and having used numerous potions and lotions had to get on the roof. In his words " the worst roof I have ever cleaned" looks like 2 years of tree sap and felt like sandpaper. Now a shiny white with a wax coating. worth every penny of £80 watching him spend 2.5 hours cleaning the whole thing. Just a wash off from now on, happy days

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back