Best position for gas fill point on Hymer B class (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have just bought a new Hymer B678 with the gas bottle compartment next to the drivers seat. I want to refit my Gasit refillable system in this and want to have an external fill point this time round.

Has anybody done this on a recent Hymer B class and if so where did you put the external fill point and how did you run the filler pipe to it?

The easiest appears to be low down on the skirt just to the left of the gas compartment's door as you look at it. But I am not sure about that because it seems a bit low for convenience. Also I am concerned about the fact that the skirt is slightly rounded and I am wondering how well the filler point will sit. Also worried if the skirt may not be strong enough to take the weight of the filling nozzle. Has anybody put theirs on the skirt please and how successful has it been.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Ours is fitted in the locker

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Fitted mine on the skirt..

to give the filler point some rigidity I fitted a short piece of angle ally between the skirt and the chassis rail.

DSCF2329.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for the answers so far and please keep them coming.

Mousy - I could fit it in the locker, as that is what I did on my previous van. But I am worried about the increased banning of refueling like that by garages.

Jim - that is is the area I was thinking of putting it because it is nice and easy. But my skirt is more curved than yours appears to be. It is made up of one continuous width of ali and there are no pop rivets showing like yours and Tony's. Obviously Hymer have have changed them recently.

Tony - I do not have as much distance to the wheel arch as you do. In theory I could put it a bit higher (which would be OK by me) but I can't find a way to get to the back of the panel at that point - seems to be hidden under trim in the driver's cab area.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
T

Tony - I do not have as much distance to the wheel arch as you do. In theory I could put it a bit higher (which would be OK by me) but I can't find a way to get to the back of the panel at that point - seems to be hidden under trim in the driver's cab area.

You don't really eve want the tube entering cab even for a short distance. In the unlikely event that it gets a leak it would be pooling in the cab low points.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
You can download the fitting guidance from Gaslow..

Broken Link Removed

I have just contacted them as I was told (on another forum) that my regulator should be above the bottles.. otherwise I may get residue into the regulator..

As far as I know this was only a problem with the old rubber hoses.. Gaslow now supply a s/s hose that is not affected in this way... my regulator is where it was while I had Calor bottles.. so don't see why it needs to be higher.. but I await Gaslow's reply and will post what they advise..

If you look at the photo in the fitting guide, it is a Hymer and as far as I can make out, (photo 7 and 8 ) the regulator is below the top of the bottle .. they make no mention of regulator height in the instructions.

Capture.JPG

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for that Jim. Yes it does look like a Hymer doesn't it. Unfortunately the skirt looks more like yours than mine, which has a distinct curve on it. I was concerned about how flat the filler would sit on it. I will go out later when I have time and look at it again and maybe take a couple of photos to try and show what I mean.

As for the regulator height the instructions for my truma regulator says that it should be set higher than the take off point from the bottle in order to "make it more difficult for gas in the liquid phase to penetrate the low pressure area, particularly while driving". Their quote not mine. Mine is fitted horizontally to the top of the gas locker, not vertically to the back like yours.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Jim, another point to consider is that the Truma is designed for use when on the move and has the crash protection system which switches off the gas if a movement above a certain G force it detected. That has been required by law on all new vans for a few years now if you want to use gas appliances on the move. I know that Gasit's regulator does not have that, but do not know about Gaslow's.

In addition mine now has a rupture protection hose for the pigtail which switch off the gas next to the bottle if the pigtail breaks. I think that is a relatively new requirement though. Again I know Gasit do not sell those type of pigtails and when I spoke to them they suggested it was not needed because they have a non-return valve. However they were clearly getting confused between a pigtail and a filler hose!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I have read about the positioning of the Regulator and bottle top v/v and I am sure that they like the regulator higher but not essential. If the regulator is lower or the same height, as long as there is a low point in the hose that is all that matters. What shouldn’t happen is any residual liquid running down the hose and into the regulator.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If fitting in the skirt why not fit one of the smaller inlets. My gas bottles are in the garage the filler is below in the skirt.

p1000054-jpg.59125

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Lenny

Thanks. that may be better where did you get the small inlet from please? Not sure how it works though because the gas gun is pretty big! Do you need to screw the filler point on each time?

Edit: BTW you have the same skirt as mine - is their a problem with it being curved?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have read about the positioning of the Regulator and bottle top v/v and I am sure that they like the regulator higher but not essential. If the regulator is lower or the same height, as long as there is a low point in the hose that is all that matters. What shouldn’t happen is any residual liquid running down the hose and into the regulator.

Gaslow just got back to me and yes, they prefer if the regulator is fitted above the bottles, so will do that as soon as the weather gets warmer..
I can can mount the regulator higher and fit the auto changeover on the roof and connect using a right angled fitting..

Antonio

Free Member
Aug 8, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 660s
Exp
6 months
Thanks for the answers so far and please keep them coming.

Mousy - I could fit it in the locker, as that is what I did on my previous van. But I am worried about the increased banning of refueling like that by garages.

Jim - that is is the area I was thinking of putting it because it is nice and easy. But my skirt is more curved than yours appears to be. It is made up of one continuous width of ali and there are no pop rivets showing like yours and Tony's. Obviously Hymer have have changed them recently.

Antonio

Free Member
Aug 8, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 660s
Exp
6 months
I have an old Hymer and the Gaslow filler is in the locker. I was also worried about filling it. On their web site Gaslow have a list of filling stations in the UK who they have been in touch with and allow this. The nearest one to me is nine miles away although I live in a town with quite a few LPG filling points! I'm in the midst of moveing the filling point to the outside of the van.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny

Thanks. that may be better where did you get the small inlet from please? Not sure how it works though because the gas gun is pretty big! Do you need to screw the filler point on each time?

Edit: BTW you have the same skirt as mine - is their a problem with it being curved?
Autogas2000 sell them in the UK, you can get straight & R/A. Broken Link RemovedYou screw in the appropriate adaptor each time for whichever country you are filling up in .Broken Link Removed

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I use the small GasLow type.. Fitted in the skirt just forward of the gas locker..

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I use the small GasLow type.. Fitted in the skirt just forward of the gas locker..
Thanks John. I have looked at Gaslow's website and all I can find is the large round filling point, not the smaller square one as in Lenny's photo. Do you have a link please? Or maybe that have stopped doing them.

Autogas2000 sell them in the UK, you can get straight & R/A. Broken Link RemovedYou screw in the appropriate adaptor each time for whichever country you are filling up in .
Thanks Lenny - found that on Autogas's website. I see how it works now. I assume that my continental adaptors will screw straight in to it as well as the UK one?

I assume it is OK for a slightly curved skirt? Is it just a case of some mastic or does the rubber seal on the backing bit take the curve up?

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If fitting in the skirt why not fit one of the smaller inlets. My gas bottles are in the garage the filler is below in the skirt.
Lenny, does your skirt have reinforcement ridges on the back like mine? Mine have 55mm clearance between them, so I will need a backing plate no larger than that. Is that OK with the one you linked to please.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Van Bitz fitted mine in the door, this method came up for a lot of criticism when ScotJimland was fitting his and I showed this picture. Having said all that the Gaslow Brochure that came with the user instructions shows one fitted to the door and how to avoid hoses chafing on the tanks or one another.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Van Bitz fitted mine in the door, this method came up for a lot of criticism when ScotJimland was fitting his and I showed this picture. Having said all that the Gaslow Brochure that came with the user instructions shows one fitted to the door and how to avoid hoses chafing on the tanks or one another.
Interesting. The Gaslow Brochure that Jim linked to clearly says do not fit them to the door, and the only photo of one of them fitted to a door is next to that with a big red cross.

Edit: Jim was quicker than me. That is what I was referring to.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thanks John. I have looked at Gaslow's website and all I can find is the large round filling point, not the smaller square one as in Lenny's photo. Do you have a link please? Or maybe that have stopped doing them.

Thanks Lenny - found that on Autogas's website. I see how it works now. I assume that my continental adaptors will screw straight in to it as well as the UK one?

I assume it is OK for a slightly curved skirt? Is it just a case of some mastic or does the rubber seal on the backing bit take the curve up?

No link I am afraid.. But just ring them
Lovely people, extremely helpful, and far from expensive

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
image.jpeg image.jpeg @peterc10 I fitted mine on new Exsis this year put in the skirt just next to the locker that means you don't have to drill the main bodywork at all the fillet fits on fairly well by the time you tighten it.I then put a flap type cover over it to keep some of the road dirt out it still lets a bit in so I will put a seal around the cover,and it matches the other flaps.I Dropped the filler hose down through the the gas drop vent.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
Here's my Gaslow install from 2012 when I had a Hymer B614 (on my 3rd van since then).

A similar install to scotJims....and showing the angle strengthener for the filler / skirt.

Took about 5 hours.

Allen

gaslow1.JPG
gaslow2.JPG
gaslow3.JPG
gaslow4.JPG

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny, does your skirt have reinforcement ridges on the back like mine? Mine have 55mm clearance between them, so I will need a backing plate no larger than that. Is that OK with the one you linked to please.
I'll have a look in the morning.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I'll have a look in the morning.
Thanks Lenny. I have now managed to get my existing filler hose to the position I want on the skirt. It took 10 minutes and no drilling. It turns out that the gas drop out "hole" on the Hymer is a gap of about 25mm between the floor of the locker and the door when it is closed. Just right to drop the pipe down through and the existing pipe is a perfect length.

So all I need is confirmation that the back plate on the small square filler is no wider than 55mm, which is the clear distance between the ridges on the back of my skirt, and I will order one.

Again thanks everybody for your help. This forum is so worth the subs :D

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks Lenny. I have now managed to get my existing filler hose to the position I want on the skirt. It took 10 minutes and no drilling. It turns out that the gas drop out "hole" on the Hymer is a gap of about 25mm between the floor of the locker and the door when it is closed. Just right to drop the pipe down through and the existing pipe is a perfect length.

So all I need is confirmation that the back plate on the small square filler is no wider than 55mm, which is the clear distance between the ridges on the back of my skirt, and I will order one.

Again thanks everybody for your help. This forum is so worth the subs :D
@peterc10 My Exsis skirt has the ridges you mention I just notched the plastic housing for fill point over them and it fits perfectly without any problem that's a standard fill point.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
This is mine on a 2001 Hymer, I used the small filler that only needs a 30 mm hole + screw holes.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back