best polish (1 Viewer)

Apr 28, 2008
rayleigh, essex.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
what do you think the best polish is for fibreglass panels as the white front of my hymer is dull and when i use autoglym the shine does not last.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
For me, Its Ice Diamond.. Not cheap but ruddy good and only needs redoing once in a blue moon :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
what do you think the best polish is for fibreglass panels as the white front of my hymer is dull and when i use autoglym the shine does not last.

I have ordered the following from a chandlers 3M Marine Fiberglass Restorer and Wax.
It should arrive tomorrow or Thursday I will be using it on my Hymer & will report back after the weekend, I have been told that it works wonders on fiberglass boats so it should fine on the MOHO. I will take before & after photos.
Link with reviews is here.

Mike

Last edited:
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Used it on our caravan front which was really dull and with a bit of effort 3M Fibreglass restorer did a great job

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Ordinary polish doesn't do the job. There was a thread on this a few days ago. I use Farecla Gel Coat Restorer with wax (designed for yachts). It has given me good results aver a few years now. I think the 3M product referred to by Mike above is similar and will do just as well.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
As was on the previous post

Polish only revives the surface of the paint by removing a small amount of it if done by hand.

Once you have polished the paint you need to seal it with wax or a sealer made for the job.This is a continuous process to keep things looking good :)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
A while back I tried everything I had in the garage to get a 'best' finish, Autoglyn, Simonize, Mer and several other cheap polishes that have been around for ages. Meguairs marine polish was easy to apply and polish but so was Autoglyn. I cannot swear that any were that much better than any other. I have asked "Which" magazine several times to consider testing them without success.
One area that I did find a best solution for, was the aluminium painted front of my Fiat. Every polish seemed to take off layers of paint and still look streaky, so I tried some old 'Johnsons' wax floor polish in a round tin. Perfect results that lasted for almost a year! I left the lid off the tin, it has gone hard and you cannot buy it any more, so may end up buying expensive wood wax to see if that works.

Alan

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have ordered the following from a chandlers 3M Marine Fiberglass Restorer and Wax.
It should arrive tomorrow or Thursday I will be using it on my Hymer & will report back after the weekend, I have been told that it works wonders on fiberglass boats so it should fine on the MOHO. I will take before & after photos.

Mike

Thanks for the info...

Will wait eagerly for your report!

Just read the reviews (Google is you friend) and it looks like good stuff.

JJ :cool:

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Mike

Pictures as promised, not to sure how clear they are but I did half of the bonnet to show the difference. This is one application & a couple of minutes with the buffer, the right side shows the depth of shine against the left side not treated.
There's a big difference & I will add more photos when I complete the job properly.
image.jpg

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I used farecla products when I had my own small body shop , do not use any thing that has ammonia in it as this will give the gell coat a yellow tinge, read the label to check

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I used the Farecla gel coat restorer and wax last weekend - all the front and top rear panel.

It's done a wonderful job - didn't feel abrasive when applying, yet it's removed any oxidisation and marks.
Now feels silky smooth and has a good shine.

The rest had a polish with Autoglym super resin.
I've yet to find the perfect wax that works for me. This time I tried Simonize wax and I'm disappointed with the final look.
Followed the instructions, small area at a time, out of direct sunlight - it seems to have left a slight film which I cannot buff out - looked better after just a polish.

Will probably just use Autogylm aquawax next time. Perhaps not total 'protection' but since I wash the van regularly, quite happy it'll suffice.

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
So you recommend the stuff then?

Yes I do I will be given the fiberglass areas a proper going over this weekend & will put more pictures up. I will point out that I use a electric polisher & finish off by buffing up by hand. So I can't comment on applying it by hand. I made the decision a long time ago that I would invest in a professional polisher & to be honest I haven't looked back, right tools for the right job.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
To restore an oxidised surface by hand even using the best products will take an awful lot of effort and a considerable amount of time, after which you may still not have a satisfactory finish. If you are tempted to use an electric polisher please go very carefully as mistakes may not be able to be rectified. I use a dual action polisher which is a lot more gentle than rotary polishers.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Big endorsement for 3M Marine Fiberglass Restorer and Wax.
Used it on the front of my Hymer to clean the fibreglass sections and they came up really good. They`re never going to have a deep shine but I`m really pleased with the finish. Did a great job of removing traffic film and grime.
But be aware it does remove some colour from the decals so go easy there !
I also used it on the grey bumper sections and they came up good too.
I think a second polish will look even better but I ran out of time today.
Thanks to mikekaren2 for recommendation

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My (very expensive and rather small) bottle of Farecla PROFILE Gelcoat Restorer and Wax was here when we got back from a couple of nights away. (£8 Postage!)

I have given the stuff a trial on a small area and it seems to do the job pretty well.

It will be therapy for me over the next few weeks...

You remember The Karate Kid...

Wax on, wax off...

20150510_225714.jpg

Reactions: SMB

Big Lad

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 570E
Exp
Im still looking for something good to use on the rest of the van, but for the bonnet and front wings and doors, I mopped the paintwork back slighty to get rid of the dullness and then after a coat of normal pdi polish ive applied a coat of Williams Ceramic Coat. Flies just bounce off now :)

Im not sure how this stuff would perform on the rest of the bodywork. I might have to do a spot test.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back