Sep 29, 2009
Heybrook Bay, Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
Hi all
We're travelling to France for the first time this weekend. Any advice on the best places to fill up with fuel? FWIW fist part of the trip is heading down from Caen to Nantes on the A84/E3.
I'm also aware of the current fuel strike - is this having any real impact outside of Paris?
thanks
Andy

Deleted User
Can't advise on best place but we are near La Baule and there is no sign of any problem so far, last year the situation escalated rapidly diesel is €1.20 in the supermarkets.

Personally for the marginal saving on UK prices I would cross with a full tank.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Hi all
We're travelling to France for the first time this weekend. Any advice on the best places to fill up with fuel? FWIW fist part of the trip is heading down from Caen to Nantes on the A84/E3.
I'm also aware of the current fuel strike - is this having any real impact outside of Paris?
thanks
Andy

Get the Essence app. All the prices are on a map around you and It even navigates you there. The unattended garages are usually the cheapest, you'll find some bargains (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi all
thanks
Andy
What do you mean by "best"? Cheapest is usually supermarkets. Easiest to access is usually Autoroute services, but they ain't cheap. I always go for the supermarkets.

OP
OP
AndyJJDavies
Sep 29, 2009
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
Get the Essence app. All the prices are on a map around you and It even navigates you there. The unattended garages are usually the cheapest, you'll find some bargains (y)

Just downloaded this, looks perfect

What do you mean by "best"? Cheapest is usually supermarkets. Easiest to access is usually Autoroute services, but they ain't cheap. I always go for the supermarkets.

By best I guess I really mean cheapest - our van is just under 8m so i guess shouldn't have an issue getting into supermarkets?

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I find this website helpful for fuel stops in France

https://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/itineraire/voir

You can search by fuel type and location - including putting in your intended route so you can see best/easiest options for refuelling.

Hopefully the link will show the stops on the caen - nantes routes.

The website also optimises for use on mobile phone as well.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
It's well worth noting that while it looks the same from the entrance, some Hyper/Supermarkets can have a restricted exit on the cashier 'pay at kiosk' pumps. It's usually much easier to use the self-service (24/7) pumps, although they prefer conventional credit/debit cards rather than pre-loaded cards like Caxton.

Malcolm

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Plenty of fuel about at the moment . No one seems to be talking about fuel and I have had no problems going through Picardi . Enjoy lol .

OP
OP
AndyJJDavies
Sep 29, 2009
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
It's well worth noting that while it looks the same from the entrance, some Hyper/Supermarkets can have a restricted exit on the cashier 'pay at kiosk' pumps. It's usually much easier to use the self-service (24/7) pumps, although they prefer conventional credit/debit cards rather than pre-loaded cards like Caxton.

Malcolm

Thanks. Is it usually clear on entrance which are self service and which are 'pay at kiosk'?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Thanks. Is it usually clear on entrance which are self service and which are 'pay at kiosk'?
Yes the pay at kiosk ones have a barrier next to the kiosk and the credit card pumps exits are clear. You can't go wrong once you see it.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
The self service ones are usually clearly marked 24/7. There is a growing number of totally unattended filling stations. Also if you need them they truly are available 24hrs.

Malcolm

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
Ref strike affecting French fuel supply, just had email from Essence stating
Retour progressif à la normaledans les stations services après la levée du mouvement de grève.
Translated
Gradual return to normal in service stations after the lifting of the strike movement.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back