Best places to camp between Milton Keynes and Stonehenge? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Hi we are booking a Hymer for 4 days for a short June holiday as a trial run prior to buying one to go full timing later this year. We're picking it up from Hire a Hymer in Milton Keynes in the evening so will need a site within an hour's drive. Then two nights to get to Stonehenge and stay there. Finally we are dropping a friend at Heathrow on the 4th night so will need a place there too or can we just use their car park?
Any thoughts or recommendations much appreciated. Happy to join camping clubs etc for nice sites.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks ok

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
There's a lovely site at Benson near Oxford. We often go there just for the cafe on the river

Broken Link Removed

The prices shown are for the expensive water front pitches

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@Jac Sprat I hate to disagree with my esteemed colleague above but I wouldn't join one of the big campsite companies just for a short trip.
MK to Stonehenge is only a couple of hours even in a motorhome so I think planning 3 days to get there is a little bit excessive.

Find a site where you want to be and just drive there. UKCampsite is pretty reliable so I would use that as a start point.

Stonehenge to Heathrow is about 90 minutes so again just drive there.

No need to get over complicated in the SE. It isn't that big (y)

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for your help.
We are happy to join any club as we will be using that when we become full timers in august.
Thanks for the benson tip. Will check that out.
The first one we need is the night when we drive out of MK at 5pm and need a site quite soon (where we can get a meal too.)
Next two nights will probably be near Stonehenge.
Last night outside Heathrow as friends flight is 8 am.
Does anyone have ideas for sites in those places or wild camping even?

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
If you are collecting the van from Old Stratford, the closest campsite that comes to mind is Cosgrove Park – I’ve never stayed there but have visited and it is VERY commercial

Head towards Towcester on the A5 (don’t miss the Super Sausage Cafe at Potterspury if you’re hungry – just good, no-frills food and plenty of it) then on to the A43 at Towcester towards Brackley and there is a small CS at Silverstone or another at Syresham – can’t personally recommend either (a bit close to home to have stayed) but the reviews are good. The Green Man pub at Brackley Hatch on that road has a good reputation

From here, there are a couple of routes you could take to Stonehenge – if you’re doing the touristy thing, a drive through the Cotswolds might be nice taking in Chipping Norton/Burford or Bourton on the Water and not forgetting that there are more standing stones at Avebury

Over to you West Country folk for sites in the area...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back