Best place to wire in CSB2 split charger (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I've wired up my solar panel and now want to fit the CSB2 device. Best place to fit? At the split charge relay in the engine bay (a bit of a hostile environment and can't see the LED)? At the inputs to the Sargent PSU2007 charger (this has cab and leisure battery inputs so I could splice in ....and could see the CSB2)? I've sent an email to Sargent but I'm sure they would not condone fitting anything near their unit. Or completely independant wiring to vehicle battery? How have others done it?

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Mine sits next to the solar regulator in the wardrobe :)

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Have mine behind drivers seat on the floor (tucked away in a little corner) only have to glance down to see what its doing - worth its weight in gold me thinks (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I've had a response from Sargent (very good customer care). Their only negative comment was that when the vehicle engine starts the PSU connects the two batteries together effectively shorting the CSB-2 out. Will this damage the CSB-2? I'm sure that all installations of this unit will suffer this and I've not seen lots of posts about blown up CSB-2s. I've emailed CBE but they are on summer shutdown until the end of the month!

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
An old thread but I'm just fitting a solar panel and csb-2 split charge relay. @simbadog I like the sound of putting it near my regulator but where did you wire into ?
@stevec did you get a reply from cbe ?
Thanks in advance.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No the battery parallel with the engine running will not affect the CSB2 nor a battery master.
On this Autotrail I mounted it below the EC200
Red to Brown/Blue
Black to White/Orange
Blue to Brown/Green
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I wired mine into the wiring on the distribution unit using the wiring diagram from Sargents website. Both vehicle and leisure battery connections there, so easy to wire in the CSB2. Performed well for the 15 months we had the MH (recently sold). My next van has an Electroblok unit fitted so I have a Schaudt regulator which charges both batteries.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I realise that this thread is six years old but perhaps all the better.

I ask those of you who have used the CSB2 unit over an extended period of time please can you let me know of any pros or cons with it.

Thanks,

Rod

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I realise that this thread is six years old but perhaps all the better.

I ask those of you who have used the CSB2 unit over an extended period of time please can you let me know of any pros or cons with it.

Thanks,

Rod
If you want it to charge the starter battery from hook up it's fine, but if you want a charge from solar it needs a voltage of 13.6 on the habitation batteries before it charges the starter and you may not hit this threshold regularly in the winter so potentially the starter battery could go flat, partly for this reason I fitted a Battery Master as well as the standard CSB2.

I said "partly" because my other reason was to bring down the habitation battery voltage in line with the starter battery dropping so that my EFOY connected to the habitation batteries would start up before the starter battery was too flat. Just to confirm the Battery Master is slightly different in that it works on a differential voltage of something like 0.65v.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We have one fitted adjacent to the Leisure batteries and then a short lead to the vehicle battery under the cab floor. We have 175w solar charging 2 X 110ahr Hankooks, spending the winter in Spain (maybe not next year) so get reasonable output from the panel. It has removed the need to supplement the charge to the starter battery and has been very reliable long term 6 years
Cheers
Ed

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If you want it to charge the starter battery from hook up it's fine, but if you want a charge from solar it needs a voltage of 13.6 on the habitation batteries before it charges the starter and you may not hit this threshold regularly in the winter so potentially the starter battery could go flat, partly for this reason I fitted a Battery Master as well as the standard CSB2.

I said "partly" because my other reason was to bring down the habitation battery voltage in line with the starter battery dropping so that my EFOY connected to the habitation batteries would start up before the starter battery was too flat. Just to confirm the Battery Master is slightly different in that it works on a differential voltage of something like 0.65v.
And it's 100% waterproof so can be fitted in the engine bay, if the split charge relay is fitted there as per the OP

As I always say, different rather than more expensive

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
I'm getting around to fitting one on the Motorhome this week...... had one on the Bongo Camper...great bit of kit and never a problem with either battery....always knew it would start after lay up, hence why in these Covid times....I'm popping one on the motorhome

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back