Best Place to Rent and where to spend first weekend in a motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Fionagrace

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
London
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
I've always wanted a motorhome but the other half and my daughter are mortified by the idea! So I thought I'd try and introduce them to the life gently but renting one for a long weekend.

I'm looking for advice on what type of kind/size I should rent as a first timer and what do I need to know about renting and I'd like some recommendations of where to go. I'm based in East London.

Thanks
Fiona

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Go and take at a look at them and make your choice. There's a rental co in Waltham Abbey,not far from you.
Try Suffolk or Norfolk,plenty of quiet places with lovely walks,no point in driving for hours on end.
And if they don't like it,leave home,they're obviously not your type.

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I hated the idea at first and even after our first trip out in a rental I still wasn't convinced. Against my better judgement we went ahead and bought our own motorhome, and from that moment on I was hooked. It's now 4 years and 3 vans later and I still love it. If you do rent one make sure it's a roomy one, book on a nice site and it helps if the weather is good. Might be worthwhile waiting until the weather improves then popping over to France (if the hire company allows). Alternatively you could always go off on your own and come back waxing lyrical about what a fab time you've had. Good luck.
And
animated welcome group purple.gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Fionagrace

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
London
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
My partners mum lives in Suffolk and he not so keen on the area, however shes inland and maybe if we went to the coast he might feel differently. To add to the mix I love being outdoors, walking, cycling just meandering about both of which they think is tantamount to torture!

Upvote 0

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
I have no hesitation in recommending Abacus at Andover, we rented from them and the van was immaculately presented and the staff completely customer focused. You can also park your car in their compound while you are away.

Within an hour of leaving Andover you could be in the New Forest, well on your way to Cornwall or parked up on a site and wandering around Salisbury.

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
We hired from Landcruise, Chichester(West Sussex)before we bought. I can recommend. They have a large selection of different berths all under 3 years old.

Upvote 0

El-Nido

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Perhaps pick somewhere you'll know will have great views from the pitch (and electric hook up and wifi to ease them in!). Enjoying breakfast while looking out at great views is always a pleasure. We hired several vans before deciding to buy our own - a great way to try out different sizes and layouts and a cheap way to try a trip to mainland Europe (where they welcome motorhomes!). This is a very good website both for finding campsites and reading reviews: http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/

Good luck persuading them!

Paul

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I'm with PO Suffolk or Norfolk is a great place to start. I live just west of you, I can be in Suffolk via the A12 within a couple of hours. For only a weekend then you will need a route plan, let me know if you would like any help with that. (y)

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
To add to the mix I love being outdoors, walking, cycling just meandering about both of which they think is tantamount to torture![

Like I said......:D:D

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Quite a few solo motorhomers are in relationships with husbands/partners whatever who do not like the life, doesn't stop them from going away. Can be very therapeutic travelling on your own or meeting up with likeminded souls evn if your patner is aso an enthusiast.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I have no hesitation in recommending Abacus at Andover, we rented from them and the van was immaculately presented and the staff completely customer focused. You can also park your car in their compound while you are away.

Within an hour of leaving Andover you could be in the New Forest, well on your way to Cornwall or parked up on a site and wandering around Salisbury.
What he said, we have used this company many, many times, in fact we bought one of their ex-rentals - which was weird.
You can visit the compound, and Jon will show you around the various options you have, they have just taken on a fleet of new vans, some look really tasty!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Fionagrace

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
London
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Thanks for the suggestions. The decision depends on how far and where I decide to go. I think the key here is electric and wifi for the two non believers. Ive started to look but there's so many sites. If anyone can recommend some good sites (with the above requirements) I would really appreciate it.

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@Fionagrace

As you live in London, if you WERE successful in converting the unbelievers, you need to buy a 'van that is LEZ (London Emissions Zone) compliant. To avoid daily heavy fines, it's an absolute MUST that you check this before you buy as many older 'van's emissions aren't compliant. It's easy to check, just enter the reg number of your proposed purchase on the TFL (Transport for London) website.

Yes, Easter does make a difference because the sites get booked up quickly.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Thanks for the suggestions. The decision depends on how far and where I decide to go. I think the key here is electric and wifi for the two non believers. Ive started to look but there's so many sites. If anyone can recommend some good sites (with the above requirements) I would really appreciate it.
Most sites have this as a bear minimum, however, site wifi generally rates from poor to unusable. What you need to do is to pop into a mobile phone shop and purchase a MiFi unit. They give you high speed broadband whilst on the road.
Electrical hookup will be almost guaranteed if you are on an official site, some of the posts can be a good distance away from your pitch though, so a 25m hookup cable will be needed (standard equipment at Abacus by the way)
On all rentals, you should have TV, heating, all cooking facilities. Basically you are driving a hotel room around! I obviously don't know what floats the boats of the non-believers, but Wales is a good place to look. Plenty of sites, and things to see. You're going in Easter time so the weather will be appalling all over the UK, might as well have some good scenery to go with it! :D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back