Best place to mount dash cam in LHD, A-Class van? (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I know that this may be a contentious topic, having read previous threads about using dash cams in Spain. However we've looked at all the information, including this provided by N332 Broken Link Removed , and have decided that we want to install one. We have decided on the Nextbase 312 gw, which has a screensaver, rather than showing 'live recording.'
This leaves us with the question as to where best to mount it, so that it records all the action but does not obstruct the driver's view. Most of the product information suggests that behind the rear view mirror is the appropriate place, being out of sight and giving the best all-round view of the road - but we don't have a rear view mirror :oops:. So, I'd be grateful for any advice/views on the best place to mount one in a LHD, A-class motor home, for driving on the Continent, and in the UK. (Bearing in mind that we're going to do it, anyway:sneaky:.)

However, we will not be towing an A-frame :rolleyes:.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have a nextbase and use the supplied windscreen bracket at Center bottom of screen high enough to miss wipers when they are parked.not had any problems and does not obscure view very much.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
We have ours on the dash. We stuck down and acrylic circle then mounted the dash ontop. Just got to remember to invert /rotate the image when we use it
As I use it in my car also.
Mine is the DOD which is equivalent model to nextbase 412g.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
We have the same issue, it can't be fitted permanently to the screen due to the blinds so currently use a suction cup in the bottom centre, long term time intend fitting to the leading edge of the drop down bed, connecting to the light fitting on the underside. It will be hidden from inside, and have a nice high viewpointv

Saint76

Free Member
Jan 10, 2014
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8years
Have the nextbase 312 fitted to the top of the screen in our A class as,we have hard wired it in and run the wiring behind the internal body panels to a feed in the dashboard area.
You will need to adjust the camera angle to get the best view of the road. this made for a nice tidy installation with no dangling.

Reactions: kip

Saint76

Free Member
Jan 10, 2014
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8years
Have purchased the plastic disc's from halfords and attached to windscreen with sticky tape attached to mount the camera suction bracket to, think there £2.99.(in the isle with the dashcam accessories)
Camera has stayed in place now for months never fallen off.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our A Class is LHD and we have a Nextbase 412, mounted in the centre at the top of the screen using the self adhesive mount. Nextbase cameras come with both a suction mount and a self adhesive one. The self adhesive one small and neater and you can fix it higher up on the dot screen at the top of the screen. In this position the lens is just within the wiper pattern.

From the camera view point as they have wide angle lens doesn't make much odds where you mount it on the screen.

OP
OP
bellabee
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you all for your replies. Some very useful information there. Graham's off to Maplins tomorrow morning to buy one, and we'll have a play around with the various suggestions. -Then, off on the Caen ferry on Friday! (Might see you at El Rocio next weekend @Speve ) :)

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
WE don't have an A Class and we have a nice cheaper camera with a flip up screen so it can be hidden (behind the mirror which is useless anyway)
41LqqPpWxzL.jpg

And as long as you mount it where it doesn't obstruct your vision as the UK gov regs are you're fine as it is in a UK registered vehicle some other countries will want you not to use it but can't make you put it elsewhere

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Just fitted our new NextBase 612 to top centre of the screen. The fixing bracket is right at the top with the camera lens just inside the wiper ark.
Our previous BlackVue camera had been mounted slightly lower for the last 4-5 years on this and previous van without any problems.
On an A Class the camera is mounted so high that it would only obscure the view of the stars.

Richard.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
On our b544 LHD I’ve got it top left windscreen, been out in Spain’s 5wks now and no probs...

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
I found the rear view mirror is ideal to stick my dash cam on.

Mickey

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Can anyone advise what the issue is with a camera in Spain, I assume they have issues with you recording?

I have the Omni-View 360 Degree System fitted which also has a PVR function which records the birds eye view of the motorhome and each of the four sides. Not sure how anyone would know we are recording as the cameras are very well hidden, and not at all obvious.

The system is excellent : http://trailervision.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page&id=46

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thank you all for your replies. Some very useful information there. Graham's off to Maplins tomorrow morning to buy one, and we'll have a play around with the various suggestions. -Then, off on the Caen ferry on Friday! (Might see you at El Rocio next weekend @Speve ) :)
We’ll still be here have a safe trip(y)(y)(y)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I got a Nextbase 312 as a Xmas present from my son for my RHD A class Hymer. I wanted it to look through the wiped area otherwise it would be useless in the rain. I have put it at the top of screen and to the left of the middle, at the high point of the passenger's side wiper pattern. I put it there so that the camera lens is just into the wiped portion, and that means there is less than 40mm projection into the wiped area. The blinds on our A class sit back from the windscreen so they do not clash with the camera

The one that it is replacing used to sit on the dashboard in the middle. The problem with that was that the parked wipers obscured the picture, and you could not see the number plates of the vehicles in front unless they were some way away. In addition the Nextbase sits high on its mount in that position and would clash with the bed when it was dropped down.

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
I was thinking about this yesterday whilst waiting for swmbo and reading my paper in the car. People go on about where to place satnavs, but all of us have two, in some cases ruddy great, pillars in our vehicles that can be more obstructing than a satnav. I take much greater care now that I have massive wing mirrors on my Moho. Mike

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
This my solution
BC131DC6-3017-40BA-B8DD-A70616FC1505.jpeg

Perspex stuck to heat duct, camera on sucker mount at the top ( mount and camera not shown as they’re in the car now) and hard wire kit runs under the edge of duct around to the fuse box.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Can anyone advise what the issue is with a camera in Spain, I assume they have issues with you recording?

I have the Omni-View 360 Degree System fitted which also has a PVR function which records the birds eye view of the motorhome and each of the four sides. Not sure how anyone would know we are recording as the cameras are very well hidden, and not at all obvious.

The system is excellent : http://trailervision.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page&id=46

There isn't .Only problem would be if you uploaded to social media with pictures that actually showed people's faceas or the absolute no-no, Members of the police.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back