Best place to mount dash cam in LHD, A-Class van?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bellabee, Feb 13, 2018.

1. bellabee

bellabee Funster

Ratings:
    +1,485
    I know that this may be a contentious topic, having read previous threads about using dash cams in Spain. However we've looked at all the information, including this provided by N332 http://n332.es/2015/02/03/can-i-install-a-dashcam-in-my-car/ , and have decided that we want to install one. We have decided on the Nextbase 312 gw, which has a screensaver, rather than showing 'live recording.'
    This leaves us with the question as to where best to mount it, so that it records all the action but does not obstruct the driver's view. Most of the product information suggests that behind the rear view mirror is the appropriate place, being out of sight and giving the best all-round view of the road - but we don't have a rear view mirror :oops:. So, I'd be grateful for any advice/views on the best place to mount one in a LHD, A-class motor home, for driving on the Continent, and in the UK. (Bearing in mind that we're going to do it, anyway:sneaky:.)

However, we will not be towing an A-frame :rolleyes:.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
  2. Borderland

Borderland Funster

Ratings:
    +3,395
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. Speve

Speve Funster

Ratings:
    +4,547
    We have a nextbase and use the supplied windscreen bracket at Center bottom of screen high enough to miss wipers when they are parked.not had any problems and does not obscure view very much.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

Ratings:
    +774
    We have ours on the dash. We stuck down and acrylic circle then mounted the dash ontop. Just got to remember to invert /rotate the image when we use it
    As I use it in my car also.
    Mine is the DOD which is equivalent model to nextbase 412g.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Wh05apk

Wh05apk Funster

Ratings:
    +159
    We have the same issue, it can't be fitted permanently to the screen due to the blinds so currently use a suction cup in the bottom centre, long term time intend fitting to the leading edge of the drop down bed, connecting to the light fitting on the underside. It will be hidden from inside, and have a nice high viewpointv

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Saint76

Saint76 Funster

Ratings:
    +42
    Have the nextbase 312 fitted to the top of the screen in our A class as,we have hard wired it in and run the wiring behind the internal body panels to a feed in the dashboard area.
    You will need to adjust the camera angle to get the best view of the road. this made for a nice tidy installation with no dangling.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Ratings:
    +5,603
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Saint76

Saint76 Funster

Ratings:
    +42
    Have purchased the plastic disc's from halfords and attached to windscreen with sticky tape attached to mount the camera suction bracket to, think there £2.99.(in the isle with the dashcam accessories)
    Camera has stayed in place now for months never fallen off.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +20,637
    Our A Class is LHD and we have a Nextbase 412, mounted in the centre at the top of the screen using the self adhesive mount. Nextbase cameras come with both a suction mount and a self adhesive one. The self adhesive one small and neater and you can fix it higher up on the dot screen at the top of the screen. In this position the lens is just within the wiper pattern.

From the camera view point as they have wide angle lens doesn't make much odds where you mount it on the screen.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. bellabee

bellabee Funster

Ratings:
    +1,485
    Thank you all for your replies. Some very useful information there. Graham's off to Maplins tomorrow morning to buy one, and we'll have a play around with the various suggestions. -Then, off on the Caen ferry on Friday! (Might see you at El Rocio next weekend @Speve ) :)

11. Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox Funster

Ratings:
    +8,021
    I was going to do that until I noticed how much the bed moves when we are on the move :rolleyes:

• Like it Like it x 1
  12. Madcaravanner

Madcaravanner Funster

wish we were at Soumeras Near Montendre 17130
    Ratings:
    +2,111
    WE don't have an A Class and we have a nice cheaper camera with a flip up screen so it can be hidden (behind the mirror which is useless anyway)
    41LqqPpWxzL.jpg

And as long as you mount it where it doesn't obstruct your vision as the UK gov regs are you're fine as it is in a UK registered vehicle some other countries will want you not to use it but can't make you put it elsewhere

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Clarky

Clarky Funster

Ratings:
    +5,652
    Just fitted our new NextBase 612 to top centre of the screen. The fixing bracket is right at the top with the camera lens just inside the wiper ark.
    Our previous BlackVue camera had been mounted slightly lower for the last 4-5 years on this and previous van without any problems.
    On an A Class the camera is mounted so high that it would only obscure the view of the stars.

Richard.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Just smiffy

Just smiffy Funster

Ratings:
    +11,334
    On our b544 LHD I’ve got it top left windscreen, been out in Spain’s 5wks now and no probs...

15. Mickey1

Mickey1 Funster

Ratings:
    +1,295
    I found the rear view mirror is ideal to stick my dash cam on.

Mickey

16. stewartwebr

stewartwebr Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,813
    Can anyone advise what the issue is with a camera in Spain, I assume they have issues with you recording?

I have the Omni-View 360 Degree System fitted which also has a PVR function which records the birds eye view of the motorhome and each of the four sides. Not sure how anyone would know we are recording as the cameras are very well hidden, and not at all obvious.

The system is excellent : http://trailervision.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page&id=46

17. cranky

cranky Funster

Ratings:
    +1,023
  18. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +20,637
    Only if you have one.:)

• Like it Like it x 2
  19. Mickey1

Mickey1 Funster

Ratings:
    +1,295
    Yes @Lenny HB because I’ve got one I think everybody’s got one, lol

Mickey

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Speve

Speve Funster

Ratings:
    +4,547
    We’ll still be here have a safe trip(y)(y)(y)

• Like it Like it x 1