Best Options on Getting to South West France (1 Viewer)

Dec 8, 2013
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2015
I am planning a trip to visit friends in Bordeaux region leaving 17/18 March and then on down to Northern Spain and trying to decide whether to do the short hop across the channel or head down to St Malo or similar. Her indoors is not keen on the tunnel (expects it to collapse or fill with water or other similar catastrophe!).

We are taking our border collie for the first time so although she is generally pretty good left alone, not sure how she would react left in the MH during a long crossing - particularly with rough seas.

We are heading from Mid Wales so will be a long starting trek whether we head for Dover or the South Coast.

Can anyone advise on the relative financial advantages of the two options - does the potential fuel and toll saving generally outweigh the additional ferry costs of going the long way down or is does it work out significantly cheaper to do the short hop and long drive?

All suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
With the puppy take the tunnel, once your wife has been through the first time she will realise it's the best was to cross the channel in a motorhome. Enjoy your trip.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I could be wrong and I am sure someone will be along to correct me, but I did not think dogs can be left in MH on the crossing, I think they have special kennels on board which have to be pre booked.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We're doing what you're doing on the 19th with our border collie. Tunnel every time for us.. but then we live in London

Upvote 0

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
We live in Poole and can see the ferry port from home but would still travel and take the tunnel with a dog.

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
When we go that way we usually take the overnight ferry to Caen or St Malo and drive down to Bordeaux next day. (y)

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Mappy will show you mileage costs and route.
Going by ferry via Dover you're not charged for the dog. With the higher mileage but lower fare ( though I had more animals) it worked out cheaper via Dover. Another crossing for you might be Portsmouth - Le Havre as long as your dog will be ok for 41/2 hours in the motorhome.
Cut across country to Le Mans then south.
A cheaper option using toll roads is down to Limoges then turn right, more or less straight road to Bordeaux. Tolls less than half that way.

If you've not left your dog before and he's young I'd go for the tunnel, next choice shortest crossing. Stress can lead to damage.

Look at mappy as you can put in destination, tolls or avoid, weight of vehicle and it will give you route plays estimated fuel plus tolls.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If cost is a factor, land miles are always cheaper than nautical miles, so spend as little time at sea as possible.

Dover-Calais by ferry is about 90 minutes.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As above, short ferry or tunnel will be cheapest but for less driving Portsmouth to Le Havre with Brittany Ferries with the pooch in a kennel will reduce the driving and avoid Calais!

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Have a look in the resources section for toll and non toll routes in France, it has all the information you require.
Travelling down France in your Motorhome is far cheaper than getting a ferry much of the way down. Even before the cost of fuel dropped it was much cheaper to drive down than get a ferry. My total fuel cost from Calais to Bordeaux was about £120 one way. The cheapest ferry to Santander is about £300 one way (Possible more).
Safe Travels

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Reading through your post again, I picked up on your enquiry about Toll roads. Are you aware you can travel to your destination using mostly non Toll motorways and duel carriageway and through a fairly direct route, saving you a lot of money without hassle.
It used to be called the N10 route and is still used by many motorhomes travelling from Calais to Bordeaux and beyound. All this information plus more is in the resources section 'Toll and non Toll routes for France. There is also a similar one for Spain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
A cheaper option using toll roads is down to Limoges then turn right, more or less straight road to Bordeaux. Tolls less than half that way.

An option is to exit the A20 at jnct 23 and go via Bellac, Confolens and join the N141 at Chasseneuil. All the towns are now have a bypass, pleasant route, good roads, not busy past Bellac.

Upvote 0
May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
After many travels via the ferry we are using the tunnel for the first time next Sunday because of Maggie our 4month young black curly mongrel (?). We ate heading for south west France after an initial get together with a number of motor homers in Brittany. Much rather spend time with her on a channels crossing as she gets accustomed to the long journey in the van. Fingers crossed here

Attachments

• WP_20160216_002.jpg
    WP_20160216_002.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 12
Upvote 0

malrider

Free Member
May 12, 2012
CARDIFF
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
since a child
Plymouth Roscoff a bit more expensive, but straight down M5 and as soon as you get off ferry you are in holiday central Brittany, take your time keep off motorways. cheers Les

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hooflungdung
Dec 8, 2013
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2015
OK. Thanks for all that. 'er indoors has now decided that she will take the tunnel after all. - subject to certain conditions:

1. That she can hide under the covers in the bed in the MH all the time we are on the train

2. That I don't leave the van and wander off to find a bar/restaurant while we are on the train.:(

3. That I only buy a one way ticket so that if she doesn't like it we can come back on the Ferry. ( I don't know what made her think we're coming back)

Tiny tiny steps!

I had a look at Mappy and some of the en route aires on Camper Contact and can see a bit of a plan coming together.

Roll on Thursday!

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
OK. Thanks for all that. 'er indoors has now decided that she will take the tunnel after all. - subject to certain conditions:

1. That she can hide under the covers in the bed in the MH all the time we are on the train

2. That I don't leave the van and wander off to find a bar/restaurant while we are on the train.:(

3. That I only buy a one way ticket so that if she doesn't like it we can come back on the Ferry. ( I don't know what made her think we're coming back)

Tiny tiny steps!

I had a look at Mappy and some of the en route aires on Camper Contact and can see a bit of a plan coming together.

Roll on Thursday!

1. No reason why she can't if she wants to.

2. You can't do that for one very good reason: There isn't a bar or restaurant on the train. There's a toilet if you really need it but other than that you stay in the vehicle.

3. Make sure you take a note of the phone numbers you need and book the return trip as far in advance as you can. You could just turn up at the port or tunnel and pay to travel straight away but the cost will make you cry.

Have fun (y)

Upvote 0

Deleted User

Tiny tiny steps!

Roll on Thursday!

1) hiding under the covers is another word for it (come on we've all done it haven't we??) mind you, you have to get cracking it's only 35 mins.

2) no bars or restaurants on the train (see no.1 for "entertainment")

3) one way is the best anyway, then you can decide to stay!!!

Enjoy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hooflungdung
Dec 8, 2013
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2015
Well........ Thanks to everyone for their tips and advice on this one. We got back last week and had a great time. Actually went by ferry Dover > Calais and the dog was good as gold. Will probably try the tunnel in the future as a comparator but the ferry was cheaper for the timings we wanted.

We got as far as Cabrils just south of Salou on the med coast and had a good mix of sites, aires, wild camping and staying with friends.

Spent three and a half weeks away and reckon it cost us around £60 per day all in - starting to think about the next trip already!

Cheers

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
I haven't been through it yet...! It will then.....:LOL::ROFLMAO:
My wife worries about the same thing, soooo as the tunnel isn't likely to collapse twice, maybe we should team up, go through together and then invite the ladies to follow on the next train?:LOL:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back