Free Member
Jan 6, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm new to all this, and initially was planning on using a canvas bell tent and a 1.9tdi diesel car to go travelling for upto a year. I'll probably be spending part of the time camping in a spacious 5m bell tent, however, have now decided that having an 'indoor space' would be very helpful when on the road and stopping overnight in places.

Because of a super tight budget, I need something that will give me at least 35mpg, hopefully more. Is this possible. I probably won't do a conversion, but use a portable stove, chemical toilet & have a single bed in there.

I have questions about electrics but I'll ask that later :)

The LDV convoy has been recomended as offering 35+MPG, but from what I understand the drive is awful. Any other vans I should be considering, I don't mind small as I was previously planning on using a estate care to sleep in when I'm not camping!

Other vans I've been thinking about is the VW T5/T4 and the mazda bongo. Can't seem to get figures for MPG on them.

Thanks for any advice.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
cant really comment on mpg figures but what you should realise is the insurance on a standard panel van may come under commercial vehicle insurance and will probably be much more expensive than a regular motorhome.

OP
OP
F

foresthobbit

Free Member
Jan 6, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
cant really comment on mpg figures but what you should realise is the insurance on a standard panel van may come under commercial vehicle insurance and will probably be much more expensive than a regular motorhome.

Thanks Pappajohn, so commerical van insurance would be quite expeinsive? What about an MPV?

Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
mpv would probably be cheaper to insure and ferries would be cheaper than a commercial
best aid to mpg is a block of wood fixed under the go pedal

OP
OP
F

foresthobbit

Free Member
Jan 6, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
mpv would probably be cheaper to insure and ferries would be cheaper than a commercial
best aid to mpg is a block of wood fixed under the go pedal

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
<------- 35+ mpg :Smile:

OP
OP
F

foresthobbit

Free Member
Jan 6, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
<------- 35+ mpg :Smile:

I've been looking at the VW Sharan MPV diesel & that does a whopping 50mpg on the motorway. I think an MPV conversion might be the way forward for peeps on a tight budget. Besides, you can pick-up a 2003 model for under £2k

The Seat Alhambra is looking good to, the 1.9tdi engine seems fast and economical.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
it sounds like the Romahome should fit your bill you can get around near 60 mpg out of these, a nice little MH built on a citron chassis small but compact :thumb:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
If you're willing to go down in size to something in the Fiat Doblo/Citroen Berlingo/Renault Kangoo class you can easily get 35+ mpg. My 1.3 diesel Doblo campervan does almost 50 mpg (mixed motorway/country lane driving) and I've heard of Berlingo-based Romahomes doing just over 50 mpg. So the MPV versions should be even better with less weight to pull.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I've been looking at the VW Sharan MPV diesel & that does a whopping 50mpg on the motorway. I think an MPV conversion might be the way forward for peeps on a tight budget. Besides, you can pick-up a 2003 model for under £2k

The Seat Alhambra is looking good to, the 1.9tdi engine seems fast and economical.

Are these mpg figures you quote for two people all your gear food water diesel etc: and on the motorway:Doh::winky::winky:

if you go down the romahome route..check with the ferries... I was speaking to a person with one and he was moaning he was being charged as a commercial van on the ferries around twice as much.

Mel

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
By the sounds of it you were thinking of staying on camp sites with your bell tent. The thing is with a small van conversion, you will be able to wild camp most of the time which will save you loads on site fees:thumb:

Welcome by the way:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi just my thoughts :Smile: a small Romahome type will not cost a lot and after a year will not loose a lot come sale time:Smile:Same with a older VW t4 type van.A panel van conversion will cost a lot by a mainstream converter, but a self build PVC will be both cheap to buy and run :Smile:Almost all will return mid to high 30s and if you are not too fussy on the conversion you can pick up some for about the same price as a empty van :thumb:
I have seen over the last few weeks a 2007 Renault Master,half decent conversion for under 5k and several very basic conversions on 2002/5 vans around the 3/4k price :thumb: This gets you cheap M/H insurance and ferries
Terry

Last edited:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Bongos are quite poor at 25mpg, think T4 is around 30mpg, but they come with their own issues!

Honest opinion would be to go and find a Toyota Hiace - 40-45mpg, dry clutch and go on forever.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
With my Autosleepers Mezan LL (similar to the Roamahome) I have managed 49mpg over 34,665 miles. The best fill to fill has been 56mpg. It has the 1.6HDI engine which is a euro 4, I travel one up but otherwise fully loaded, most of my trips are long distance and with a light right foot.

If I had not been using the diesel heater when off EHU I am sure the average would be over 50mpg, but I am allergic to cold. :roflmto:

A high top will obviously not do as well as the pop up roof version.

Mike

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
With my Autosleepers Mezan LL (similar to the Roamahome) I have managed 49mpg over 34,665 miles. The best fill to fill has been 56mpg. It has the 1.6HDI engine which is a euro 4, I travel one up but otherwise fully loaded, most of my trips are long distance and with a light right foot.

If I had not been using the diesel heater when off EHU I am sure the average would be over 50mpg, but I am allergic to cold. :roflmto:

A high top will obviously not do as well as the pop up roof version.

Mike

Thats one hellava trip :winky:

Just looked at one on ebay great van for one I should think:thumb:

Last edited:

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Thats one hellava trip :winky:

Just looked at one on ebay great van for one I should think:thumb:

err I never said it was one trip, just the MPG over that distance, including 5 trips from the Uk to Gozo, Malta.:roflmto:

You are quite correct on it being great for one person, you would need to be on very good terms to go 2 up. :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back