Best Motorhome security system (1 Viewer)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
When I bought my MH new, the Insurance were only interested on a Tracker. The alarm was only a nice to have.o_O I waited a few months and did a lot of research:sleep: before the Bitzmeister wooed me to Somerset; fitted me a Growler and left me penniless - and not for the last time either!!:eek: On renewal, they still insisted on the tracker and when I told them of the Alarm, they informed me that I received more discount for the reversing camera and, of all things, the Tyre Pal.o_O Still, regardless of this I wouldn't be without me growler.(y);)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
When I bought my MH new, the Insurance were only interested on a Tracker. The alarm was only a nice to have.o_O I waited a few months and did a lot of research:sleep: before the Bitzmeister wooed me to Somerset; fitted me a Growler and left me penniless - and not for the last time either!!:eek: On renewal, they still insisted on the tracker and when I told them of the Alarm, they informed me that I received more discount for the reversing camera and, of all things, the Tyre Pal.o_O Still, regardless of this I wouldn't be without me growler.(y);)
"Penniless !" you wanted more things you didn't even need and have stopped complaining since that you're not allowed a B2B !

He even came to the Van Bitz stand, tried to get me drunk on Rum to agree, in front of his Wife that he needed a B2B

B2B envy is a sad thing!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
"Penniless !" you wanted more things you didn't even need and have stopped complaining since that you're not allowed a B2B !

He even came to the Van Bitz stand, tried to get me drunk on Rum to agree, in front of his Wife that he needed a B2B

B2B envy is a sad thing!
:cry: My name is Michael..and I have B2B envy. There. Said it. Doesn't feel any better:rolleyes:

Still want one:sneaky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
Anyone going

Hi

Category 6 is a tracking system, but it sounds as if you have an alarm fitted as well. Do you know what make alarm you have?

It is hard to know what individual installers do and offer, and what features other alarm manufacturers offer, so we tend to suggest that people download the comparison chart from our website (or the link above) That is an easy way to see what you have got in comparison to our systems.

When used in advance, people often ask their dealers that have recommended "Brand X" the answers to some of the questions we ask, and it quickly becomes apparent that some people giving advice actually no very little about the products that they promote. This happens a lot when they simply get a third party in to install alarms and trackers.

Thank's for your response Eddie.. The Key Fobs say "AutoWatch" on it. I've checked our paperwork and it is called AutoWatch Track & Trace ATT1 System - MotorHome. It was fitted by AutoWatch in Sevenoaks in Kent. Not sure what the heck all that means... Never heard of them but assume they are OK. I know my wife, Kat likes to make sure our van is secure, security wise and not one of these Halfords Jobbie's etc etc..

A friend recently had their van "Growlered" by yourselves, so looking forward to hearing their experiences @Anthea M

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thank's for your response Eddie.. The Key Fobs say "AutoWatch" on it. I've checked our paperwork and it is called AutoWatch Track & Trace ATT1 System - MotorHome. It was fitted by AutoWatch in Sevenoaks in Kent. Not sure what the heck all that means... Never heard of them but assume they are OK. I know my wife, Kat likes to make sure our van is secure, security wise and not one of these Halfords Jobbie's etc etc..

A friend recently had their van "Growlered" by yourselves, so looking forward to hearing their experiences @Anthea M
Steve we haven't been yet the cancellation was cancelled ! Off in a couple of weeks! Will let you know!! :)
Weren't you lucky with the weather in Scotland!!?(y)

Nov 23, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
Steve we haven't been yet the cancellation was cancelled ! Off in a couple of weeks! Will let you know!! :)
Weren't you lucky with the weather in Scotland!!?(y)

:D Oh Yes.... It was such a shame to have to come back, left John & Catherine @Stagman up there.. Lucky buggers :)

On the right day, with the right weather, tis a beautiful part of the UK...

Let us know how you get on with the Growler... (y)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
All this talk about Cat 1 v Cat 2-1 alarms had me a little troubled so I checked the classification of my 2-1 rated Gemini 931T on the Thatcham site. I qoute from the notes appended to the certificate:
  • Installed on vehicles with existing Category 2 immobilisation to attain Category 1 status.

Nov 18, 2016
Monmouth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Having had a Strikeback fitted, yesterday, and having an immobiliser as standard; should I also have the Tracker activated that's fitted into the van but which the previous owner allowed to lapse?

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Having decided to downsize our van to a pvc the next decision was how do we protect her. Well the current Motorhome we spent a small fortune on the vanbitz full monty. Well 3 years on and many nights in remote camping areas we slept soundly knowing we were protected. When we went to the beach in France and left ruby in the van we knew she was safe because the van would call me if some scumbag tried to mess with the van I could return asap.
The annoying led warning scum go to the next van.
Great but do I spend again on the new van?
Well my insurance only wanted cat 5:6 tracker activated,this is already fitted to the new van but cost £100 per year for someone who has no interest in my van to track once it has been stolen. When do I find out the van has gone? After a day at the beach :frowny:Maybe. What about Ruby and her new scumbag owner enjoying my van. Well you'll get the van back they said :cry: Nice. Thank you
Once again we are going back to Taunton. Saturday 17th June the full monty again because it makes sense. There was no pressure sale from Vanbits despite a number of calls with questions that answered themselves. Everyone has a choice. Ours is Vanbitz. Don't forget the discount Eddie :)

cbrown1360

Free Member
Aug 24, 2015
Lymington
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
I am due to pick up a new van in mid July. The dealer is suggesting I have an Autowatch alarm installed. I have spoken to the local Autowatch fitting company and they have said that one of the advantages of their Autowatch system is that is is wireless which means the method of installation is less invasive compared to a hardwired system and therefore does not risk invalidating the manufacturer's water ingress / leak warranty. Can somebody (Vanbitz) comment on this issue and also the relative merits of Autowatch versus Growler. Thank you.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
I am due to pick up a new van in mid July. The dealer is suggesting I have an Autowatch alarm installed. I have spoken to the local Autowatch fitting company and they have said that one of the advantages of their Autowatch system is that is is wireless which means the method of installation is less invasive compared to a hardwired system and therefore does not risk invalidating the manufacturer's water ingress / leak warranty. Can somebody (Vanbitz) comment on this issue and also the relative merits of Autowatch versus Growler. Thank you.
Autowatch, like many wireless systems use the CANBUS system, which means that it uses the vehicles existing remote control and circuitry. So as soon as the Thief opens your door by twisting the barrel - as we've seen recently, or drilling holes in your door or even using the key, they will have turned off the alarm as well. Hard wired, whilst still can use the CANBUS system, the likes of Strikeback system does not, so everything is independent and even unlocking the door with the key will not dis arm the alarm. Vanbitz do wireless system as well, but these are for remote locations i.e. satellite systems, additional lockers etc. As for warranty issues, as long as they are a legitimate company, you can use them and no worries about integrity issues. Just ask @Lenny HB on his thoughts about drilling holes in new vehicles and how this affects your warranty. :D2 On Vanbits' website is a comparison chart. Just tick the boxes that Autowatch have and compare it to the Strikeback.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I really don't know about other products in depth, if I thought that they were better: I'd buy them.

Wireless is easily defeated, laughably so, which is why they have no Thatcham approval. A wired sensor will report a fault on arming as it is "physically" connected to the system. A wireless sensor only has a tiny battery so will only send a brief signal when a door is opened, so if it is faulty or when the battery goes flat the alarm system will not know, so it is incumbent on the owner to regularly go round, triggering the alarm on every door to ensure that it is working.

Tediously annoying for you and your neighbours, especially considering that they benefitted the installer, by saving time for them, and that a wired system does this automatically for you, everytime.

We have been installing motorhome alarm system for nearly 30 years and have definitely sold more alarms than anyone else in the Country.

I cannot think for a minute why the installation should affect the water ingress warranty? unless someone isn't confident that they couldn't install something and make the installation waterproof perhaps? I don't know.

Here is a comparison sheet we suggest people use if they are unsure

I hope that this helps

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A wireless sensor only has a tiny battery so will only send a brief signal when a door is opened

As well as the convincing open loop / closed loop argument I suspect that these wireless sensors may well be domestic ones not properly built to withstand the constant vibration of a MH journey.

Wireless - just say NO.

Nov 23, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
I really don't know about other products in depth, if I thought that they were better: I'd buy them.

Wireless is easily defeated, laughably so, which is why they have no Thatcham approval. A wired sensor will report a fault on arming as it is "physically" connected to the system. A wireless sensor only has a tiny battery so will only send a brief signal when a door is opened, so if it is faulty or when the battery goes flat the alarm system will not know, so it is incumbent on the owner to regularly go round, triggering the alarm on every door to ensure that it is working.

Tediously annoying for you and your neighbours, especially considering that they benefitted the installer, by saving time for them, and that a wired system does this automatically for you, everytime.

We have been installing motorhome alarm system for nearly 30 years and have definitely sold more alarms than anyone else in the Country.

I cannot think for a minute why the installation should affect the water ingress warranty? unless someone isn't confident that they couldn't install something and make the installation waterproof perhaps? I don't know.

Here is a comparison sheet we suggest people use if they are unsure

I hope that this helps

I'm confused as have been watching this thread and peoples comments.

Zigisla has just said that the Autowatch system is wireless, and hilldweller has agreed, Eddie, says wireless is easily defeated and doesn't have Thatcham approval. As mentioned above, ours is Autowatch and is Thatcham approved..

Conflicting comments... Confused as hell....

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The alarm "module" is Thatcham approved. Wireless sensors wouldn't be.

Anything that is easy for the installer, is easyily defeated. If your alarm plugs into the OBDP (On Board Diagnostic Port) it save the installer loads of valuable time, the thief can of course simply unplug the alarm.

Wireless sensors? easily swamped by another "bigger" wireless device

Hey Presto, no alarm!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I am due to pick up a new van in mid July. The dealer is suggesting I have an Autowatch alarm installed.

What your dealer wants to fit is irrelevant. They will be recommending whatever is easiest, and has the biggest margin, for them.

You need to speak to your insurance company, find out if they are going to insist on particular security whether that's alarm or tracker and then find out what systems they will accept. The last thing you need is to pay for a system and then find that your insurers won't accept it.

Nov 23, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
You need to speak to your insurance company, find out if they are going to insist on particular security whether that's alarm or tracker and then find out what systems they will accept. The last thing you need is to pay for a system and then find that your insurers won't accept it.

Our insurance company said that ours had to have a Tracker.. Maybe it was to do with the value, I don't know. I'd should imagine a Motorhome that's valued at £20k to a Motorhome that's valued at £150k will be different. Maybe ?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Our insurance company said that ours had to have a Tracker.. Maybe it was to do with the value, I don't know. I'd should imagine a Motorhome that's valued at £20k to a Motorhome that's valued at £150k will be different. Maybe ?
The daft thing is that a £20k motorhome is far more likely to be stolen. Older, less secure easier to steal and a much bigger market to sell it into, less money, less questions asked normally!

I can't remember ever, seeing a £200K motorhome being stolen?

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
The Autowatch 695 does have Thatcham approval. The wireless sensors are on option in addition to the hardwired sensors.

I have Autowatch fitted to my van, it satisfies the insurance companies, has been trouble free for 5years and is good, but not the best imo

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you only want to satisfy what the underwriter wants, get the cheapest that does so (but read the next bit).
I got my supplier to fit mine on the assumption that they've done many before and will know what they're doing and, if there is ever a problem, they're closer to home and the ball's in only one court. I've heard stories about folk 'to-ing and fro-ing' between fitters who say a problem's due to someone else's work.

Mark Lambert

Free Member
Mar 12, 2018
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta k yacht 80
Was also researching this, no mention of Clifford Alarms. Is this system not used on mh?
Was interested with the dual proximity, was the alarm always used on my cars in the past? Would sooner scare people away when looking in than attempting to get in?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
With so many vehicles on the road and parking being such a premium, warn away functions really only attract drunks and children.

Carparks, campsites, supermarkets, rest areas, service areas Aires are all places that people can legitimately pass close by a Motorhome making proximity sensors just a nuisance

Imagine your tucked up in bed on an Aire and every time some walks past to the bin, or the loos you get disturbed, you’d be a bag of nerves and extremely unpopular

Like the barking dog, great in theory, but no use in practice

Mark Lambert

Free Member
Mar 12, 2018
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta k yacht 80
I understand. Thanks.
You can turn this feature off but also buy one lower spec without exterior proximity?
Just want to for the best alarm i can to protect not just for insurance.
You also suggest vanbitz?

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I understand. Thanks.
You can turn this feature off but also buy one lower spec without exterior proximity?
Just want to for the best alarm i can to protect not just for insurance.
You also suggest vanbitz?
In my opinion, if you are investing a significant amount of your hard earned on a new MH, it’s worth considering built for purpose security rather than that originally targeted for cars (perhaps then modified).

We have had Strikeback/Growler systems from Vanbitz on 2 vans now and would recommend such based on our experience from installation, to operation/usage and after sales service/support. But it’s your coin, your choice...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back