Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Well known, but thank you.
If you have the space, a well swung shovel can also put the little chaps off.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
There isn't one! If you have the type of blood they like then you are stuffed no matter what you try. Believe me I've just got back from touring Scotland and one of our group was so badly bitten she came home early. She tried everything, citronella oil, Avon, skin so soft, jungle formula.
Other things to try is taking brewers yeast tabs for a couple of weeks before you go and eat marmite whilst away.
Good luck!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
There isn't one! If you have the type of blood they like then you are stuffed no matter what you try. Believe me I've just got back from touring Scotland and one of our group was so badly bitten she came home early. She tried everything, citronella oil, Avon, skin so soft, jungle formula.
Other things to try is taking brewers yeast tabs for a couple of weeks before you go and eat marmite whilst away.
Good luck!
They are talking about mosquitoes not midgies although you do get mosquitoes in Britain.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Apparently they don't like the wind............... so eat beans :moon2:

OP
OP
Dazzles
Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
They are talking about mosquitoes not midgies although you do get mosquitoes in Britain.
Ye this. (y)

Not having resided in warm climates other than an air conned hotel room, I thought there may be something that funsters do about them.
With zika and dengue on the way they're more than just pests. Something not to be ignored imo.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Easiest way to not get bitten for anyone is to stand within 20' of me. I have 3 Michelin stars in the Mosquito fine dining guide.

Just my luck that it's the only sort of female that finds me irresistible (*).

* Only female mozzies bite. The boys leave you alone.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
That looks good. Now we need someone to bring back a job lot as postage £.7.70 from Spain through Amazon!
From Amazon.co.uk: 150 ml £9.90.
Oooops, just seen the delivery costs as per your quote - assumed it was from the UK. :oops:
(Can't seem to post the link)
Amazon product ASIN B008KL1P9G

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Just found another Spanish supplier that charges £5.89 total postage for at 1 - 5 bottles, haven't tried entering for more yet. Anyone want me to get some and bring to Malvern? £7.02 for each 150 ml bottle.

I just finished the last of the deet bought in foreign climes somewhere and looking for something that works and smells nicer.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Years ago when I was working up the Mississippi we used Johnson's OFF, it worked. Don't know if you can still get it. All the locals used it when fishing and they have serious Mozzies in Louisiana.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Years ago when I was working up the Mississippi we used Johnson's OFF, it worked. Don't know if you can still get it. All the locals used it when fishing and they have serious Mozzies in Louisiana.
From recent trips to Florida, they have a product called "Deep Woods OFF" could it be the same thing?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
A fortnight ago I spent a week living in a very small tent on a remote Scottish beach. The lifesaver for me was this stuff, bought cheap in a camping shop's sale:

Didn't stop the little buggers swarming round my head of an evening but if they bit I never noticed.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We use ODOMOS it's from India, available as spray or cream. Sold on Ebay, we think it's the best we've tried so far.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I don't want to jinx myself but I've taken a broad spectrum multi B vitamin daily for a few years now.
Touch wood , it works, and will carry on working.
I used to get eaten alive by the terrors. My bites would swell up like volcanoes. If I got badly bitten I'd look like I'd got leprosy.:Eeek:
I'd tried every tip under the sun. I'd be the one covered in Deet head to foot. I'd have mozzie bands on my wrists and ankles, and always carried various candles or spiral burners out of an evening . I'd have to sleep dressed, and have those mozzie plugs stuck in all the sockets in the apartment. I'd be the only one bitten . Guaranteed. :crying:

Now, I don't know if it's the fact I'm now 53 and my bloods not as sweet. Or the broad spectrum multi B vits.
But the mosquito just don't seem to bother me . If I do get a bite , which isn't often , it just itches. I don't need to get antibiotics and have Ralph walk in front of me ringing a bell :blush:

Vit B is also good for you too.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
My son is in hospital with suspected Dengue Fever

Just returned from Peru he didn't use a repellent, his girlfriend did and is OK

Muscle pain so bad it's called the 'bonebreaking disease' ........temperature up to 104, then chills

I've just checked the mozzy nets in the van, bought repellent and spray - only going to Spain - when he's on the way to recovery ............

OP
OP
Dazzles
Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
My son is in hospital with suspected Dengue Fever

Just returned from Peru he didn't use a repellent, his girlfriend did and is OK

Muscle pain so bad it's called the 'bonebreaking disease' ........temperature up to 104, then chills

I've just checked the mozzy nets in the van, bought repellent and spray - only going to Spain - when he's on the way to recovery ............
It's no joke for sure. Hope he's better soon.

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
We were told by a Scots man living in Scotland that Smidge is the one. Its recommended by the World Health Organisation.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
I got eaten alive in honfluer just over a week ago sat in a restaurant, they gave us candles and spray, but they bit everywhere, bob takes antihistamine's everyday, and he didn't get one bite, think I will take them a few weeks before we go next time

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Autan pump spray works for me in Spain. The buggers always get my ankles if I don't apply it. The pump spray doesn't have deet in it but the aerosol autan does.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
According to a well known consumer magazine ===
Boots Repel Extra Strength 120ml, £5.37 (9p per application) ★★★★★ This is a 50% DEET repellent so, as you would expect, it performs well. It also represents excellent value-for-money protection. Its high DEET concentration means that you’ll have to apply only a small amount about every six hours. Jungle Formula Extra Strength 125ml, £6.84 (10p per application) ★★★★★ This is another 50% DEET product that will off er you the best protection at only 10p per application. The manufacturer claims that it will be eff ective for 10 hours, but we’d recommend leaving it no more than six hours before you reapply. Jungle Formula Family 175ml, £6.99 (14p per application) ★★★ The family lotion from Jungle Formula has no strong odours and is remarkably good at deterring the mosquitoes. If you want protection, but want to avoid the chemical smells associated with other repellents, then this is a good choice. Superdrug Buzz Off Kids 100ml, £3.42 (15p per application) ★★★ This DEET-free repellent comes in a handy pump spray and will be perfect for you and your kids alike. It gives excellent protection without a strong smell, but you will have to reapply every three to four hours. h i In areas where there is a low risk – or no risk – of malaria or other insect-borne diseases, you might prefer a gentler, DEET-free option. Or you may prefer to use natural products. These products will have to be reapplied more regularly than our Best Buys. ALSO TESTED Lifesystems Expedition Plus £8.99 ★★★★★ Ultrathon Insect Repellent £9.99 wwwww Superdrug Buzz Off £4.30 ★★★★

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Good luck!

Correct all the way. I've always been eaten alive by mossies & midges, avoidance is the only way of coping. Not too good as I live in Scotland, right on the edge of the Galloway forest park :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back