Best maps to use on an iPad for navigation (1 Viewer)

Apr 16, 2019
Bolsover
Funster No
MH
Lowprofile
Exp
Since 2007
Good afternoon,
After reading about using a garmin glo gps for enabling an iPad to be used as a satnav I was wondering which was the best mapping system to use offline that covered whole countries in one go? Not just parts linked together. Just tried google but wouldn’t download all of England .
im a true Yorkshire Luddite with tech usually ask son for this type of advice but he said don’t be tight just buy a satnav.
I have now disowned him as he thinks money grows on trees in my house.

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
Have you looked at maps.me? Download the App, then whatever countries you need for off-line use. American accent for navigation is annoying and phrases like “slide right” (whatever that means), but otherwise a useful and reliable system. I’ve used it a lot while travelling abroad on foot or in car/MH.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I have used Sygic and Copilot in my iPad. Both truck versions Not much to choose between them

my advice is to also use Google maps at the same tine as it is MUCH better at predicting traffic and rerouting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I use co-pilot for caravans, but a lot of people use and recommend waze (I never have).
I also run google maps on the phone as a backup

OP
OP
S
Apr 16, 2019
Bolsover
Funster No
MH
Lowprofile
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks to everyone who has replied to my thread will have a look at the suggested apps and try the different ones whist still in uk then make my decision on which one to use abroad ?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Why not tether the ipad to your phone and use Google maps?
I've got maps.me on my old phone as a back up and it isn't as good as Google maps, IMO ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
I’ve used nav free covers the known world off line and you can download the country maps you need
big bonus you can put different vehicle types into it.
they use open street map.

Important thing is your iPad needs to be the cellular one not Wi-fi only.
If not the location only works when on Wi-fi.
You don’t need a SIM card for the location to work it just makes the iPad find the location quicker.

Turning on the Wi-fi on iPhone and iPad will get your location quicker, it doesn’t even have to join the network as it can get its location from the Wi-fi signal as every router broadcasts its location.
so if you don’t want to be tracked put the device in airplane mode so it can’t broadcast its location either

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back