Best Maps for touring Europe ? (1 Viewer)

rolling rolling

Free Member
Apr 15, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2003
Hi Fellow travellers.

We are off soon on trip around Europe for several months. I have purchased some maps of certain countries we intend to visit but would like a page by page ring binder style map of the whole of Europe.

Three years ago I purchased a Phillips multi scale map of Europe which was Ok then as we ended up only doing 2 countries. Recently we did 2 weeks starting in Italy and driving up through 4 countries and used the same map from 2015 but found little information in it and half the towns missing.

I have looked at the AA and Collins and the Michelin equivalent, seems the AA doesn't get very good reviews .
Could you recommend any of the above or another brand.

Thanks for your input and advise.

Rolling Rolling

Julea & Alan

Monty2

Free Member
Oct 23, 2017
Ferndown, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie
HI, for years I've travelled round Europe on my motorbike and I always plan routes using Michelin maps - I highly recommend them. I use the National (individual) folded country maps for general outline planning - major routes - (Spain & Portugal No. 734), (France No. 721), (Europe No. 705) etc., etc., and for more detailed planning I use the ring bound maps (France 1:200,000 - 1cm = 2km), (Italy 1:300,000 - 1cm = 3km), and so on. Hope this helps!

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Hope you are using a sat nav as well , more time to look out the window instead of head down over a map . Maps are great for planning , or though google earth is taking that over as well. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Monty2

Free Member
Oct 23, 2017
Ferndown, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie
I use the maps to plan all the routes which are then plotted out on BaseCamp and downloaded onto my Garmin SatNav unit.....

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I like the detail of the A3 spiral bound Michelin map for France. Satnavs are great but I like to be able to plan and follow on a bigger scale.
Can I recommend the dash4it online store. Good prices for maps, often discounts and extra discount for CMC members. Quick and free delivery.
This one might suit but it’s 1:500,000 and I prefer 1:250,000.
It depends on your style of navigation.
https://dash4it.co.uk/europe-a4-spiral-bound-atlas.html

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I bought a Collins Europe map but tbh I've got as far as venice and never looked at it, the scale is just too small, maybe ok for overview but Google good for that too.

OP
OP
rolling rolling

rolling rolling

Free Member
Apr 15, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2003
Thank you all for your input I have put an offer in on Ebay for a Michelin Europe map, the dash4it website did have one and for a very good price was just about to order when I spotted a little cheaper on Ebay.

Don't like Sat Nav's unless I'm hopelessly lost, you really have no idea where you in a country just looking at lines on screen, they have caused many an argument over the years, I wish for me the didn't even exist.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Haven’t used a map for years, I prefer to enjoy the scenery and journey that my garmin 760 gives me.... toll free..(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've got an atlas of Europe, can't remember by who and I'm not at home so can't check but it would be useless to use for navigation. The scale, three countries to the inch, is far too small.
Get a map of the whole of Europe for grand planning then individual maps/atlas for each country.
And if you plan to use aires get a satnav because you won't find most of them any other way
:)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I use a large scale map for planning, then buy detailed maps (usually Michelin) locally for the areas we stop in to explore.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I use the maps to plan all the routes which are then plotted out on BaseCamp and downloaded onto my Garmin SatNav unit.....

That's the way to do it(y)(y)(y)(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back