Best jack for 2003 Fiat with Alco chassis ? (1 Viewer)

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
So what is considered the best jack for general use (wheel changing etc) to carry when trying to keep the weight down. We currently have the van supplied scissor jack but was toying with the idea of a compact trolley jack or maybe even air bags. Looking for long term touring so need to try and keep the weight to a minimum though need to keep function very real! Any ideas / experience? The van is rated at 3.8 currently and we may try to increase that a little if possible later on!

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I have the standard scissor jack in the van plus a cheapish bottle jack and one axle stand.

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
I keep a small 4T high lift bottle jack in the MH, one of these: There are loads of them out there but having used SGS products in the past I know they supply good quality items.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Thankfully the supplied scissor jack works on all four wheels on a van conversion and is also man enough to do the job, however, when I had the Burstner I soon found out that the only jack that worked on the rear wheels was a trolly one which was the only one that went low enough. A bottle jack would not fit after a puncture although air bags would.

OP
OP
I
Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Thanks for the replies so far guys....the van is a Burstner coach built ! keep 'em coming please!

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I use the standard scissor jack on a Fiat based Hymer.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
adac and throw the fiat jack in the garage at home 20 kilos of danger

OP
OP
I
Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
adac ??? I'm losing my ability to read english !!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Mine is just a Ducato PVC. I used the stock scissor jack a couple of times and it felt really sketchy with a loaded van. I'm now carrying a long-throw 6t bottle jack that's got a screw-top so you're not wasting any of it's reach. You need as much reach as you can get as the suspension droops quite a long way. Depending on which part of the chassis I want to jack-up, I'm finding the required height can vary quite a bit, or the ground isn't that firm, so I also carry a wooden platform that's just a stack of plywood screwed together that I can sit the bottle jack on if I need it.

Bottle jacks aren't as light as a scissor, but the are lighter than a trolley and a lot smaller. Just make sure it has enough reach!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
adac ??? I'm losing my ability to read english !!
a german based breakdown company like RAC or AA

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
For recovery and tyre changes I rely on call outs. I don't pay for AA or RAC anymore as in 11 years never needed them.
Had one puncture where I couldn't drive, it cost me around £10 more to get someone to come out and replace the tyre for me.

New van broke down and wouldn't start due to knackered start motor. Local garage towed it for me.

With the money I have saved over the last 11 years I am still quids in. I now look at it like I do electronic extended warranty/insurance, I never bother.

The only time I would buy recovery cover is if I was travelling abroad... But I would buy that specifically for the event.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
For recovery and tyre changes I rely on call outs. I don't pay for AA or RAC anymore as in 11 years never needed them.
Had one puncture where I couldn't drive, it cost me around £10 more to get someone to come out and replace the tyre for me.

New van broke down and wouldn't start due to knackered start motor. Local garage towed it for me.

With the money I have saved over the last 11 years I am still quids in. I now look at it like I do electronic extended warranty/insurance, I never bother.

The only time I would buy recovery cover is if I was travelling abroad... But I would buy that specifically for the event.
me too i only buy it for abroad but i have partner plus which covers all our cars anywhere in europe and any vehicles we happen to be in and a cetain amount of health cover and all for 114 euros

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back