Best inspection on Pilote Galaxy 901 (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
Going to view a Pilote Galaxy 901. Mercedes 2.8. 03 plate.

Seems to have everything we’d want, and price is realistic… but I’m new to all this so…

Any thoughts on the van in general?
I worry about payload, this is fitted with 4 leisure batteries!

If all seems okay, I think it would make sense to get a paid inspection… any recommendations which company to use?

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Does it have solar panels? I would ask why 4 batteries that’s a cupboard wasted and the weight as you can imagine.

I cannot comment on this particular vehicle but good luck with finding someone qualified to inspect it,

OP
OP
T
Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
Does it have solar panels? I would ask why 4 batteries that’s a cupboard wasted and the weight as you can imagine.

I cannot comment on this particular vehicle but good luck with finding someone qualified to inspect it,
2kw solar! AA doesn’t seem to want to quote, I think I’m going to struggle.

The more I think about this the less I like it.. I’ve got a quick viewing booked, aiming not to waste their time tyre kicking, then if i like it was going to return for a more in-depth view (and my moisture meter!), test drive etc, but I think I’m fooling myself. I don’t think I could handle a 18 year old van, no matter what fancy gadgets it has or how solid the base unit is.

I suspect the payload is blown and I doubt they’d want me to take it to a weigh-bridge to confirm this, nor delay a sale waiting for an inspection I might not get.

Oh well, the search goes on…

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC

The more I think about this the less I like it.. I’ve got a quick viewing booked, aiming not to waste their time tyre kicking, then if i like it was going to return for a more in-depth view (and my moisture meter!), test drive etc, but I think I’m fooling myself. I don’t think I could handle a 18 year old van, no matter what fancy gadgets it has or how solid the base unit is.

I suspect the payload is blown and I doubt they’d want me to take it to a weigh-bridge to confirm this, nor delay a sale waiting for an inspection I might not get.

What did they use it for, off grid in Iceland ? 😝 I would asking them why and I would want the electrics going through with a fine toothed comb.Not that I know about electrics.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Going to view a Pilote Galaxy 901. Mercedes 2.8. 03 plate.

Seems to have everything we’d want, and price is realistic… but I’m new to all this so…

Any thoughts on the van in general?
I worry about payload, this is fitted with 4 leisure batteries!

If all seems okay, I think it would make sense to get a paid inspection… any recommendations which company to use?
We are in Scotland but bought our M/Home from Essex whilst we were still blocked from leaving Scotland because of the pandemic travel restrictions. We looked up 'Independent Caravan & Mobile Engineers' [title?] and found 'The Caravan Man' who agreed to do a Pre Purchase Inspection & Report for £100, and when I shared the Report on this Forum, the consensus was that he had been extremely thorough, even nit picking with the detail.

I think 'The Caravan Man' is a franchise, but I'm sure they are affiliated to the National Caravan Workshop Scheme [Title?], so they work to a Code of Conduct and deal with M/Homes [and caravans!], every working day, so will have much more expertise and practical knowledge than the AA and similar agencies.

Steve

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010

Mileage?

Has it been full timed in??

Damp / damage (int / ext).

I'd Probably take a 18 yo pilote over a 9 yo British van tbh!

Cheers James

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013

Sounds to me like you have answered your own question in the space of 2 hours with help of a few funsters
God you've gota love this forun

OP
OP
T
Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
What did they use it for, off grid in Iceland ? 😝 I would asking them why and I would want the electrics going through with a fine toothed comb.Not that I know about electrics.
Yeah, seems a little ott. I think I could handle the electrics, but mechanical stuff I'm clueless on.

OP
OP
T
Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
Sounds to me like you have answered your own question in the space of 2 hours with help of a few funsters
God you've gota love this forun
Best £20 I've spent lately! I hope one day I'll be able to contribute something instead of soaking up all the knowledge and experience on here. I guess my questions might help someone else though :)

OP
OP
T
Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
Mileage?

Has it been full timed in??

Damp / damage (int / ext).

I'd Probably take a 18 yo pilote over a 9 yo British van tbh!

Cheers James
I see this opinion a lot on here. Are British vans really that bad? I've trawled the forums for this Pilote and there's very little info around... people struggling to find parts. Whereas a British vans appear more common and easier to deal with.

Looking at a 7 yo Auto-Trail Tribute on Friday. Lower spec'd, lower miles, more money... but it feels like I'll have less to worry about..?

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
Good MOT history if its the one on EBAY, Mercedes Engine 75.600 miles, just run in ! could be a good buy.
Advert states 2 kw inverter not 2 kw Solar.

OP
OP
T
Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
We are in Scotland but bought our M/Home from Essex whilst we were still blocked from leaving Scotland because of the pandemic travel restrictions. We looked up 'Independent Caravan & Mobile Engineers' [title?] and found 'The Caravan Man' who agreed to do a Pre Purchase Inspection & Report for £100, and when I shared the Report on this Forum, the consensus was that he had been extremely thorough, even nit picking with the detail.

I think 'The Caravan Man' is a franchise, but I'm sure they are affiliated to the National Caravan Workshop Scheme [Title?], so they work to a Code of Conduct and deal with M/Homes [and caravans!], every working day, so will have much more expertise and practical knowledge than the AA and similar agencies.

Steve
Thanks for the search term! I've just found a mobile MH engineer literally around the corner from me, with what appears a good reputation / reviews. Probably not the Caravan Man, but AWS and NCC approved... and they do pre-inspections for £100. Just called them, unfortunately they are booked up until November... gave me another number who are booked up until October. Suggested I bought from a dealer. Said his last job was a £5k repair job on a private purchase. Oh hum. I might go back to bed.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Thanks for the search term! I've just found a mobile MH engineer literally around the corner from me, with what appears a good reputation / reviews. Probably not the Caravan Man, but AWS and NCC approved... and they do pre-inspections for £100. Just called them, unfortunately they are booked up until November... gave me another number who are booked up until October. Suggested I bought from a dealer. Said his last job was a £5k repair job on a private purchase. Oh hum. I might go back to bed.
Paul, the Caravan Man that I used, agreed to fit the PPI in as a favour to a groveller, because he was booked solid for about 6 weeks. I left him with a target date and he agreed to that, or earlier if he had a cancellation or an early finish to a job. I just had to leave my phone switched on and wait! It was a really good service and a kindhearted response from Paul. If we ever decide to change Brunhilde, we will go back to Pullingers in Halstead, and we shall ask Paul to do the PPI.

Steve

OP
OP
T
Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
Good MOT history if its the one on EBAY, Mercedes Engine 75.600 miles, just run in ! could be a good buy.
Advert states 2 kw inverter not 2 kw Solar.
Ah, yeah, that's likely the one. On the surface it's very appealing. I'll take a quick view this pm, and see what his documentation is like.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
I think it will be a 2.7L on the Mercedes not 2.8. They did manual, torque converter auto ( rare) and sprintshift. The last can be problematic I have heard and expensive to replace. 76k miles is fine. Mine has similar mileage (2006 reg). It's a good powerful engine. It probably needs to be plated at 3.8 ton to have a decent payload especially with those batteries.

OP
OP
T
Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
I think it will be a 2.7L on the Mercedes not 2.8. They did manual, torque converter auto ( rare) and sprintshift. The last can be problematic I have heard and expensive to replace. 76k miles is fine. Mine has similar mileage (2006 reg). It's a good powerful engine. It probably needs to be plated at 3.8 ton to have a decent payload especially with those batteries.
Took a look today, plated at 3800kg, so that's good.

It's ticking all my boxes so far, might be a gamble, but I could spend another £5k-£7k for a newer British model and still be hit by unexpected issues, so maybe this way I'll have a little budget left if anything crops up...? Inside is really nice and well looked after, outside, a little ageing, but nothing major. A good polish would do it well. They even have a spare set of stickers(!)

I'm going out for a run in it in a couple of days (maybe to a weigh bridge!) and will see if I can get an inspection arranged.

There's a little background to this, which I'd be happy to share via PM with anyone if they could offer any more views on the viability of this potential van :)

In the meantime, got a viewing arranged on a much newer Auto Trail Tribute...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back