Best inflatable awning for fiamma 45 canopy (1 Viewer)

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Hello all,
I have searched the forums on awnings but cannot get the exact advice i need.
Quite simply:
Can anyone recommend the most suitable Inflatable awning for attaching to a Fiamma 45 canopy?
I know you can get a zip that slides into the canopy front bar and I've decided this is the way i want to go
I.E canopy fully retracted. I believe this is the best for if the weather suddenly turns inclement.....
Thank you.

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
I've got a Kampa -now Dometic - Motor Rally Air. It's a well made piece of kit and spacious when erected. The downside is that it's heavy and bulky. It slots into the front channel of the Fiamma canopy. It comes in two lengths and a range of heights depending on your 'van.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we have a Westfield porch inflatable, The plus points are:- its very light and easy to put up, costs about £375. the downsides are :- Its not good in exposed high winds, its basic and needs a caravan awning stip added to your F45.

I looked at the Dometic Motor Rally porch inflatable last week on a site and it is a far superior product, looks good is strong and robust, BUt it costs around £750 + and is extremely heavy.

we only use our porch in early spring or late autumn when we need to dry dog towels, boots and coats.

IMHO> for short stay say ( 3 or 4 days ) the Westfield would be my choice. for longer stays and the dead of winter then the Dometic wins hands down

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We were at a site in the Lake District this week and on Thursday there was a very loud band. The inflatable awning on a caravan had burst. This happened about half an hour after the sun came out after several overcast days. My guess is the air expanded and it went pop. The owner didn't accept this explanation saying he had used it in "hotter countries". But I guess in those places he inflated it when it was hot, not when it was cold which is what he had done.

I used to have an inflatable boat and you had to be very careful and be ready to let air out when the sun came out as the pressure build up was rapid.

All of which isn't meant to be a downer on inflatable awnings - but it is something to be aware of and if there are models with pressure relief valves I would go for one of those.

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Kampa's maximum inflation pressure is 9 psi, and the air beams are tested to many times that figure - no relief valve needed, something they make a big point of in their literature.
If you have a relief valve you would surely have to keep re-inflating after the tubes had cooled down.

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
We have the Kampa air awning as well. As others have said it is a bit heavy, but it is very robust and secure to use. Only use it if we are staying somewhere more than a couple of nights. Buy the storm electric pump to go with it. Set the psi to 9 and it is literally up in a couple of minutes

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
We use the Motor Ace as per the pic. Think its quoted weight is 35Kg, comes in a large holdall complete with pegs, poles, pump. The fiddly bit is threading the beading through a long awning beam but otherwise takes 5 mins to inflate and another 5 to peg out. Need to check the central inflatable beams do not intrude on the habitation door. I seem to recall it comes in three heights. We like it, all the panels zip out if you wish or zip the top half down to use as a window (useful to keep dog from wandering off!) Has curtains if needed, large floor space, bit like taking your conservatory with you!

Attachments

• Awning..jpg
    Awning..jpg
    847.5 KB · Views: 74
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
If you have a relief valve you would surely have to keep re-inflating after the tubes had cooled down.
Never had a problem with oudoor rev tubes deflating in 2 tents and 5 years. Depends on required inflation pressure ,release and burst pressures. Get that right and bobs your mothers brother, no bangs and no sagging. All in good design and development, which is pherhaps why Outdoor revolution were a little later than others coming to market with airbeam technology.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Are inflatables more popular than pole awnings now? Ive been looking for an awning for my little old caravan, altho ive always been reluctant to put an awning on any caravan or motorhome cos ive worried about putting a strain on the joints (im a worrier with a glass half full lol) was looking at the isabella range but
are the outdoor rev as good? I dont like that thin shiny material that blows about in the wind i prefer the canvas look , but didnt realise air awnings were so popular .

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We have had a Kampa Rally Air Pro 260 for about 4 years now. It’s superbly made and easy to erect and inflate. Yes, it is heavy so the bigger ones must be quite a weight. I didnt like the way the Fiamma wind out awning struggled with the weight so I had an awning rail fitted just underneath the Fiamma (we don’t do drive away as MH too big to use for shopping etc) And take a very lightweight set of kitchen steps. Tend to only use it if staying for 4 nights or more, for shorter stays we use an Outdoor Revolution Techline Canopi which is very light, strong and big enough to sit under when raining and to cook under with the BBQ.
The wind out awning doesnt get used a great deal but OK if we can’t be arsed to put up either awning. Belt, braces and a bit of string!!!!!!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We have a vango Kela tall mark 2 think they might be in mark 4 now. Works well can fit in 3 camp beds and associated teenagers and their clobber. Good though for 4 adults table and chairs and the drinks cabinet 😉
The more often you put it up the easier it gets. Most time taken is pegging it out.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
We had one ,never again ,too heavy , and I have seen 2 inflatables that 1 had a puncture when he tried to put it up , so he had carted on holiday , but , the second couple had a tube that also would not pump up and was 2 years old , at least with pole type you have one bag for the poles ,and, one for the awning , that are from our point of view more manageable

Michael Rennison

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Upton, Newark, Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti 700mx
Exp
Since 2016
Are inflatables more popular than pole awnings now? Ive been looking for an awning for my little old caravan, altho ive always been reluctant to put an awning on any caravan or motorhome cos ive worried about putting a strain on the joints (im a worrier with a glass half full lol) was looking at the isabella range but
are the outdoor rev as good? I dont like that thin shiny material that blows about in the wind i prefer the canvas look , but didnt realise air awnings were so popular .
We've got the Isabella 300 Air Cirrus with Annex for family gatherings. It's a quality bit of kit, but... needs rebeading to 6mm for a Thule 5200 sun canopy channel. If you can drag it down the channel successfully with some help and a caravan step to stand on, then it goes up a treat. We used ours at Wells next to the Sea in June when it was 16 degrees and with the warm exhaust from the fridge kept everyone warm enough to enjoy a meal together in comfort rather than squashing up inside the van. A wallet emptied though.🙄

OP
OP
steve69
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Well, that was a near-miss. Almost bought an awning that seemed just right but luckily I did some more research before buying and found out that the Kampa/ Dometic awning would not have been suitable for my Eldiss 115. Insufficient clearance around the rear habitation door apparently. The search goes on.
s-l1600.jpg

Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
We have had a Kampa Rally Air Pro 260 for about 4 years now. It’s superbly made and easy to erect and inflate. Yes, it is heavy so the bigger ones must be quite a weight. I didnt like the way the Fiamma wind out awning struggled with the weight so I had an awning rail fitted just underneath the Fiamma (we don’t do drive away as MH too big to use for shopping etc) And take a very lightweight set of kitchen steps. Tend to only use it if staying for 4 nights or more, for shorter stays we use an Outdoor Revolution Techline Canopi which is very light, strong and big enough to sit under when raining and to cook under with the BBQ.
The wind out awning doesnt get used a great deal but OK if we can’t be arsed to put up either awning. Belt, braces and a bit of string!!!!!!
These type of awnings look nice and compact but what do you do if you want to go off site for the day, do they just unattach from the awning rail of your van?

Michael Rennison

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Upton, Newark, Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti 700mx
Exp
Since 2016
That's the problem 🤔 TBH we rarely take the van off pitch. Tandem and scooter preferred mode of transport. There are drive away awnings if you need one or why not go for a Screen Shelter. I've the Screen Shelter for those occasions when a full awning is overkill and I need to secure the pitch and put the BBQ and chairs out of the way. That takes a few minutes to put up solo. 😊

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back