Best French Maps (1 Viewer)

R

RogerD

Deleted User
Is it a good idea to buy maps of France in England or in France? Which make are the best for exploring? Is there a French Ordnance Survey equivilent?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
In my opinion the Michelin maps available here and there are the best,
A lot of us rely on sat Nav or Auto route on the lap top these days, only when we get stuck do we check the printed version:ROFLMAO:
Geo

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi almost never use maps now, just rely on tomtom, lead me up the garden path going through spain recently, :cry: crossed the border at Irun, heading for Burgos, it took me on to a brandnew m/way, great I thought, until about 15miles later when it ran out, there still building it!! :Doh:

Had to get the maps out to find out where we were, and where to go as tomtom insisted I rejoin the non-existant M/way. Spent the next 15miles or so stuck behind a lorry climbing up the side of a mountain, and down again.

Incase any of you go that way, its the AP1 and it stops at Mondragon, I reckon the rest will be open late this year or early next.

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Michelin are fine but for us there's too much detail and they're not as easy as the AA versions that are available in the 'works' type bookshops and elsewhere at less than the cover price.

It's really a matter of what suits you... and if you buy in the UK they are in English:winky:

Last edited by a moderator:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Went down to Bordeaux and back this year using Tom Tom and manage to stay off the toll road all the way.

Could never do that with a map.

Couple of blips with narrow roads but that could happen with maps just the the same.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
We like the AA French Atlas, and are on our second version of this. Beware that there are new roads - especially bypasses - around a number of bottlenecks in France, and SatNavs are very slow to include these. For visitors to Parc Verger there is one new road that saves 15 minutes by avoiding a town that has multiple traffic lights so we always advise visitors to use the directions on our website and not trust their SatNavs.

It is very much a case of use SatNavs with discretion - look at maps to see projected opening dates of new roads/bypasses and be prepare to use those whatever the SatNav says!

Bob and Di

2escapees

Deleted User
A think the new book just published by Michelin is a better option. Out this month it is called Escapade en Camping Car and it cover all regions of France giving maps, tourist information, Aires de Service and camping details of a number of lovely scenic routes. I think it was about 8€ and is sale in most Maison de Presse or I am sure over the web. Better than just maps if you want to get a real flavour of France.

:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Is it a good idea to buy maps of France in England or in France? Which make are the best for exploring? Is there a French Ordnance Survey equivilent?

hi roger,
have a look here.......
Road maps of Europe to your door from Drive-Alive

i bought french and spanish maps here but they are very large (around 6ft x 4ft) although very good detail.

john.

ray

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Funster No
French Maps

We always use the Michelin Atlas routier 1.200 000 or 1cm = 2km .
We started buying individual maps of the areas but found it much cheaper to get the atlas that covers the whole of the country, Get a compass as well for when you get lost in oneway systems in the larger towns we have found it invaluable. We bought the map in France. Enjoy yourself

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back