Best folding ebikes for a lady novice rider (2 Viewers)

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I have converted my own full sized bike to leccy and one of the bits that came with the kit was a thumb throttle. I find this invaluable when starting off with only one properly working leg. A good friend has just converted two Bromptons to leccy using the Nano conversion. Firstly for his wife then for him as he could not keep up with her. These also have the option of an additional thumb throttle. I would not expect an original Brompton leccy bike to include this thumb throttle option as EU rules banned it several years back. But pick up a second hand Brompton and do the same.
hi Clive

could you possibly send me a link for any info you have regarding your ebike conversion please

how much was it and is it easy to do

thanks

Al

Aug 19, 2015
Windermere
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
15 years
I have a Raleigh Motus with a Bosch 500 but still struggle on very steep hills in lowest gear and full power. I love my bike but live in Windermere so not confident to ride locally - have to go to Morecambe prom.
Is there such a thing as a very powerful folding bike?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You have to try as many as you can before making a decision.

Our (now elderly!) AS Bikes have been fantastic and have the lowest step though I have been able to find ..... they are the throttle type (now illegal) so are capable of a boost when starting to ride which makes initial "take off" wobble free. You do need to know how and when to use the throttle.

Shevaun

Free Member
Jun 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Buying soon .looking
Exp
I bought a bag for the Go Cycle , (not the same brand, way too expensive.)..... it fits perfectly but I can’t seem to find one for my Hercules. Your Freebo appears very similar in size .... could you tell me the size , the brand, where you got the bag & how much ? Thank you

May 26, 2012
Bangor, Northern Ireland, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic CLine
Exp
Since 2010
Twist and go machines are not electric bikes. Under the legislation an electric bike can only be powered by pedalling. These twist and go machines fall under a different category which require registration with DVLA and insurance. There are obviously many older twist and go machines out there which people continue to ride. As with elecric scooters, the police probably turn a blind eye. It might be a different story if you had an accident though.

Apr 6, 2017
Coventry
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2013
Would definitely suggest that you try before you buy. Hubby bought a second hand bike, I went for a Volt Metro, folded nicely and the step through version suited my hip replacement (isn't it grand getting old). Anyway it was 50 years since I had ridden a bike, had my cycling proficiency certificate and everything then, BUT..... that thing about "you never forget how to ride a bike".... rubbish. I had no confidence at all. I found the Volt quite a powerful machine and it frightened me. Fell off a few times, couldn't get my balance to start off properly. In the end it went on ebay.

Helen

josephR

Free Member
Mar 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
burstner 590 lyseo
Exp
since 1978 on and off
My SIL is looking for a folding ebike.
She has a PVC (central walkway at the rear) and does not want an external rack.
But she needs one that folds up small and neat.
She has tried my brothers folding ebike but fell off a few times at the step off stage.
This is due to many of the Chinese systems waiting a few rotations of the wheels before bringing in the emotor.
This surge just as you are maybe in a "too high prior to power" gear is what does the damage for her.

She would be far better with a pedelec where the power is instant and proportional crank torque applied.

Cost is not a problem.

I'm thinking of an electric Brompton for her or possibly a Go-Cycle.

Would experts kindly suggest any that meet the above criteria.

Thank you.
Raleigh do a good folding ebike for around £1400
if you are a member of CAMH club you can get a discount on Raleigh bikes

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
One thing to check is the physical size , and weight if the battery. We met a couple who had electric folders, when they got to a canal bridge they had to carry the battery separately from the bike and only just managed with the bike as well!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Would definitely suggest that you try before you buy. Hubby bought a second hand bike, I went for a Volt Metro, folded nicely and the step through version suited my hip replacement (isn't it grand getting old). Anyway it was 50 years since I had ridden a bike, had my cycling proficiency certificate and everything then, BUT..... that thing about "you never forget how to ride a bike".... rubbish. I had no confidence at all. I found the Volt quite a powerful machine and it frightened me. Fell off a few times, couldn't get my balance to start off properly. In the end it went on ebay.

Helen
The biggest difference between older (and cheaper newer) ebikes and modern/expensive ones is how well the power is managed. Good bikes provide assistance so imperceptibly, that there's no kick or feeling like it's getting away from you. They just just feel like you're riding on the flat all the time, no matter how big the incline or headwind. It just feels natural and that you're just really strong today.

Dec 31, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
2022 Chausson 660
Exp
Previously Elddis Accordo 125
I've just seen this in an ad for a folding bicycle, "You can't ride it when folded." I shan't be buying one of those then!

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Don’t buy the electric Brompton without trying one out, The controls for the battery power are on the battery and a novice cyclist will not be able to adjust power easily. The rider has to take his or her eyes off the route ahead to locate the button and then the bike will surge when adding more power. One handed steering can be a problem, especially as the reason the power is being increased may be a hill or sudden elevation such as a bridge on a path.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
And if she keeps on falling off, we have a folding electric trike - Jorvik - not cheap, but its stability is the key - and it tows the doggy hut!
There is one regularly on the Leeds Liverpool canal and it looks great. Gives the stroke surviver a new lease of life!

May 28, 2020
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola S687SP
Exp
64C94B46-D234-46AA-89CA-49D02C2EC766.jpeg

I’ve just got a Rambletta from whoosh bikes, seemed best compromise between price, battery size and wheel size. Tried the Mirider which I loved but not so keen on 16inch wheels so went for the whoosh bike which has 20inch wheels.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
That Woosh looks good (although the name's a bit naff).
Larger wheels = smoother ride.
Step-through is always appreciated by a nervous rider.
If space is an issue, check how small it is when folded.
Also check the weight.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back