Best ferry route to southern Spain please (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Going to southern Spain to check out properties in April dilemma drive down thru France or ferry to Santander would appreciate comments from anyone who has done either

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Cost and convenience are the main factors. We live 15 minutes from the Plymouth ferry port and enjoy the 24 hour cruise, spoiling ourselves in the restaurant.

But on cost a shorter crossing and more driving may be more attractive.

Folk have their own preferences and you can only look at it from your own perspective. If you are happy with lots of driving then go the short crossing route. Timewise there isn't a lot in it if you put your foot down.

For me it would be Plymouth/Santander every time, but not everyone will agree with that.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I tend to take the ferry to Roscoff and drive down through France then return via Santander. There is probably not much difference in cost each way as I avoid toll routes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
prefer to use the tunnel & drive...can be on Spain Med coast in two days..where you live can be a fundamental.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Going to southern Spain to check out properties in April dilemma drive down thru France or ferry to Santander would appreciate comments from anyone who has done either

Are you taking the MH or a car? Would you stay on aires or choose between B&B/ hotels? The costs COULD be very different, to say nothing of the convenience.

We ferried to Santander then drove to Mabella one January by car: it took 1.5 days of high speed driving on motorways and an overnight in a luxury hotel. If we'd gone in MH it would have been 3 days, I guess. The car did 55mpg; MH does 25mpg.

In Spain we used some very narrow roads and some steep village streets with cobbles: where do you intend looking?

Only you know your situation - Gordon

Reactions: DBK

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
depends where you live . like dbk. i,m close to plymouth . about 350miles to dover . i catch the ferry plymouth to santander . no cabin have a chair . being in club voyage its 410 quid return this winter . i cant drive down and up france for that. never mind the ferry cost either dover calia or plymouth roscoff. . i can if need be drive to gibralter in 2 days easily from santander . but these days might never actually get there . visit other places and just relax . never use campsites , just free park. doesnt matter if its spain or down the west coast of portugal. or even on to morocco. never pay to park .
in maroc better to give the guardian a can of beer or a glass of wine . and you make a friend .
they like bacon sandwiches as well. but have fun and smile .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
all i can say is using portsmouth to santander and going to gibralter . from liverpool you can do one and a half trips a week . driving an artic with a forty foot trailer behind you . if you cant you get sacked .

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
It always the tunnel for us we love the drive and never in a hurry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
like i say the tunnel for me is miles away. france in november isnt nice . done it loads of times when i used a vw t2 camper. but these days i get 16mpg . my choice . like what i drive . i do sometimes go to france in summer on my m,bike or just taking the unit . i have it kitted out as a sleeper cab then .
but in winter ferry to spain . and it saves wear and tear . plus mileage. i do like france its a great country but have seen bridges washed away or trees down across roads etc . so now its relax on the ferry . usually its dead calm mind now it will be rough one this winter . ha ha . i was on the pont avens first crossing . have missed a few due to it not being working . but its a great ship.
mind my favourite brittany ferry was the quiberon. sailed on her loads of times plymouth -roscoff.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
and april in france is fantastic . the weather can still be hotter than a uk summer . its fresh . their spring will be well on its way. but even so depends where you live and what you are driving .
i have friends to call into in brittany and charante . lovelly areas . angouleme to perigueux watch ottters there in the evening in the river, then to sarlat then gourdon , then montaubahn , toulouse ,andorra . brilliant .

OP
OP
sally47
Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry should have said going MH and looking around Almerea and live same distance Dover or Portsmouth

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We drive because of the risk of rough seas and it usually works out cheaper, and if you can afford to take the time there are some lovely stops on the way.

If we were in a hurry we would fly and hire something.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
We have the same question.
We are travelling in January though so it's the balance between driving from Roscoff down through France or the potential rough crossing to Santander..

We are joining Club Voyage France but that will only give us 10 percent discount of Spain. Unless we stump up for Club Voyage Spain as well..

It's driving me nuts trying to work out which way to go to be honest.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I live same distance dover / plymouth.
I have done both car and van , once i used both twice each in same year.
Always go via dover, mostly based on price but mainly because i prefer to be driving than sat on a boat.
In the mh we use free aires and non toll. In the car some toll where it suits and stay at either a B&B motel or in Spain a small private hotel.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We drive because of the risk of rough seas and it usually works out cheaper, and if you can afford to take the time there are some lovely stops on the way.

If we were in a hurry we would fly and hire something.

We did bay of Biscay crossing to Spain once...never again!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

simply prefer to drive..can be in Spain using the cheaper tunnel (which is 1.5 hrs from us) and your boat has just sailed if your lucky!. Long boring sea crossing with crap restaurant? nothing like a cruise and have been on a few of them to compare thanks.

now the Scandinavian ferry's where really nice..with great food..unfortunately closed down

want to be cavalier with your own safety, knock yourselves out:D

http://www.marineinsight.com/marine/life-at-sea/why-the-bay-of-biscay-is-dangerous-for-ships/

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Having gone to Spain and back in the winter several times (I live near Portsmouth) I now go Portsmouth Santander - weather permitting!
Done it once via Dover - never again - driving all that way through France in the winter is no fun!!
If the weather is too rough then the ferry to Santander gets cancelled and I go via St Malo but even from there it is a bit of a slog through France as very few sites are open and a lot of the aires are in "winter mode" ie bare & empty

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back