Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We are off on another trip to France and Spain in a couple of months time.

Although our current satnav (Noza Tec i.e. cheap) has been okay it has really messed up a couple of times.

What do Funsters think is the best satnav to get that allows width, height etc to be input? I am quite tempted to try Copilot.

Paul

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I used an Avtex tourer one (Garmin camper 770) on the last trip, worked well, come with Campercontact installed.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Sygic app on iPad for me. Free 14 day trial ????
Be aware that after corresponding with Sygic they admitted to me that their routing does NOT make allowance for over 3.5t restrictions - it isn't great on width either

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Tom tom 6000 truck...... used for many years with caravan and equally as good with motorhome..... never let me down (says he firmly touching wood ) (y)

Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
I’ve got Tom Tom which works fine apart from a few directions have put me on rough roads and straight through villages far to tight for motorhomes. I’d get one were length of vehicle can be pre programmed. Essential.

Dec 3, 2007
bristol
Funster No
MH
fiat autotrail imala 730
Exp
since 2005
We have been using the snooper ventura not cheap but i can not fault it, free map upgrades for life, able to input all dimensions, have used all over europe with no problems!

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Navfree app on iOS there’s an RV lorry setting...
Free maps world wide. Download before you leave home and use offline so no data charges.

Dazz

Free Member
Oct 10, 2019
South Wales Valleys
Funster No
MH
Ford Chaussonflash02
Exp
I just purchased Garmin 770 camper nice clear screen to also put in dimensions of your camper

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Tom tom 6000 truck...... used for many years with caravan and equally as good with motorhome..... never let me down (says he firmly touching wood ) (y)

I was going to ask you to "drive" from Soria to Almazan (both in Spain) because my TT6200 sent me down a narrow forestry track at J56. Fortunately my eyes and brain worked better than the satnav (good job it wasn't foggy/night nor that I was tired). However, today's update has fixed this problem and also doesn't send me on the little road next to the Autovia La Manga which it did when we went from Cartagena to Cabo De Palos.

Try "Cordoba to Penarroya-Pueblonuevo": does it take you off the N432 onto the N432A through Espiel (with roundabout which TT must know is there) to rejoin the N432 near Belmez? That was the bumpiest, twistiest, worst surfaced 5miles which we travelled in a trip of 2.5k.

Or how about Winterstein to Seebach (both in Germany)? TT6200 sent me down (up!) a narrow logging trail and, theoretically,into a farmyard with rusty machinery. However, I chose a narrow concrete route with a vertical rock wall on one side and a steep drop into a stream on the other. OK, that bit was only 300yards and there may have been an easy route through the farmyard but I had had enough so I crossed my fingers and ignored Tommy. My AutoRoute 2010 will not send me all the way along that track even when I place waypoints 25metres apart!

On the whole, we reckoned it was 98% accurate and rarely made more than one mistake per day: better than a map and fewer arguments between driver and navigator but no-way could I support your claim that it never let me down.

SETTINGS: Van, 3.5T, 6m long, 2.8m high.
"Most eco friendly route".

I now tend to set it to "fastest route" and "avoid motorways" but, as I've explained to TomTom umpteen times, there is nothing ecofriendly about crawling along a rutted forest track in first gear when there is a smooth dual carriageway only 10yards away. Similarly, going through a village with traffic lights and pedestrian crossings uses more fuel than sticking to a by-pass, even if the latter is a mile or so longer.

I wouldn't recommend TomTom Truck software to anyone (and I've told them so) but I haven't seen how bad the others are, so I may be being unfair.

Gordon

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I was going to ask you to "drive" from Soria to Almazan (both in Spain) because my TT6200 sent me down a narrow forestry track at J56. Fortunately my eyes and brain worked better than the satnav (good job it wasn't foggy/night nor that I was tired). However, today's update has fixed this problem and also doesn't send me on the little road next to the Autovia La Manga which it did when we went from Cartagena to Cabo De Palos.

Try "Cordoba to Penarroya-Pueblonuevo": does it take you off the N432 onto the N432A through Espiel (with roundabout which TT must know is there) to rejoin the N432 near Belmez? That was the bumpiest, twistiest, worst surfaced 5miles which we travelled in a trip of 2.5k.

Or how about Winterstein to Seebach (both in Germany)? TT6200 sent me down (up!) a narrow logging trail and, theoretically,into a farmyard with rusty machinery. However, I chose a narrow concrete route with a vertical rock wall on one side and a steep drop into a stream on the other. OK, that bit was only 300yards and there may have been an easy route through the farmyard but I had had enough so I crossed my fingers and ignored Tommy. My AutoRoute 2010 will not send me all the way along that track even when I place waypoints 25metres apart!

On the whole, we reckoned it was 98% accurate and rarely made more than one mistake per day: better than a map and fewer arguments between driver and navigator but no-way could I support your claim that it never let me down.

SETTINGS: Van, 3.5T, 6m long, 2.8m high.
"Most eco friendly route".

I now tend to set it to "fastest route" and "avoid motorways" but, as I've explained to TomTom umpteen times, there is nothing ecofriendly about crawling along a rutted forest track in first gear when there is a smooth dual carriageway only 10yards away. Similarly, going through a village with traffic lights and pedestrian crossings uses more fuel than sticking to a by-pass, even if the latter is a mile or so longer.

I wouldn't recommend TomTom Truck software to anyone (and I've told them so) but I haven't seen how bad the others are, so I may be being unfair.

Gordon
I repeat it has never let ME down

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Some of us get a bit lazy now as we just enter our destination co-ordinates or post code and follow sally satnags instructions. what we should be doing is running through the directions on the satnav at the same time as looking on a map to make sure it's not going to send us through anywhere we would rather not be.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
I prefer totom , but as with all satnav programs , if the road isn't specified 6ft 6 inch width restriction or what ever , it wont know not to use it , as with all satnav programs . You must use your own judgement if the road / lane looks a bit iffy , dont use it ,drive on let the sat nav reroute . they are not infallable . the driver must use his common sense !!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have Garmin Camper which seems very good.

We are aware it does not always follow the route I would choose. For example, when returning home from a long trip it wants us to go past our Motorway turn-off to the next one, double back on A roads to our village and approach from the opposite side. That adds 11 miles to the journey.

We know that the “direct” route is on good roads but passes through the village itself, (we live at one end).
There are no problems with the village roads so we always choose our own route.

This makes us believe that The SatNav may take us further than necessary on occasion, but it has never led us into a difficult situation. When travelling in unknown areas that’s fine by me.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I prefer totom , but as with all satnav programs , if the road isn't specified 6ft 6 inch width restriction or what ever , it wont know not to use it , as with all satnav programs . You must use your own judgement if the road / lane looks a bit iffy , dont use it ,drive on let the sat nav reroute . they are not infallable . the driver must use his common sense !!
Sygic sent me down a 6' 6" road which was clearly signed but was too late for me to do anything about it as I had already made the turning and the sign was set back. As I said earlier, they also don't take account of weight over 3.5t on their RV setting. Truck setting is OK for weight but then has weird routes avoiding times and places in towns due to allowed delivery times for commercial drivers

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We know that the “direct” route is on good roads but passes through the village itself, (we live at one end).
There are no problems with the village roads so we always choose our own route.

This makes us believe that The SatNav may take us further than necessary on occasion, but it has never led us into a difficult situation. When travelling in unknown areas that’s fine by me.

Local knowledge is a great thing and TomTom has a facility for reporting this in the form of updates.

However, it took me 2y to get them to acknowledge that a road with a 6'6" restriction, involving a 90deg turn between high flint-faced walls was not suitable for my MH. They still insist that I can safely travel into a one-way street with bollards at the far end and a 6'6" restriction which would require a very difficult reverse once a driver has seen it.

Fortunately I have only been caught out by one height restriction in Germany which required reversing 20metre against a moderately heavy traffic flow around a RH bend.

One of my greatest bug-bears is that TT refuse to accept my version of my postcode: all other satnavs get it correct but TT insists that it is at the far end of the village. I get regular phonecalls from delivery drivers asking where I live and I always start with "are you using TomTom?"

It all just makes me doubt everything that it tells me.

Gordon

OP
OP
Easyliving

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Well, it seems everyone has their favourite satnav.

Many thanks for all the help.

Being a cheapskate I will probably use Google maps and buy a decent road atlas.

Paul

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Well, it seems everyone has their favourite satnav.

Many thanks for all the help.

Being a cheapskate I will probably use Google maps and buy a decent road atlas.

Paul
Google Maps - still the best routing round traffic etc in my opinion - just doesn't do sizes and weights but you can make up for that by being alert

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back