Best Cleaning Products and Equipment 2020? (1 Viewer)

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
Hi Folks

Like most, my MH has been in storage for ages (actually longer than most - since November) and I really want to do some cleaning. The interior (dash and cab area) is pretty manky but I'm loath to use some of the car products as they tend to leave everything so shiny that glare is a problem in sunny climes (?). Furniture is fine though, what are you good folks using and had good results from?

The outside is in dire need of cleaning, and though I will wash it initially I want to have some sort of waterless wash kit for when I'm travelling.

I did see a set of equipment for detailing the outside of the van (on an American RV YouTube) where there were nice shaped pads on extending poles, but I can't find them here in the UK. Its a pain to wrap towels etc around an extending brush head, and in any case, they don't get right into the roof overhang above the windscreen. That's a very difficult area to reach even on a step ladder!

Suggestions and recommendations would be appreciated.

Ian

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Hi Folks

Like most, my MH has been in storage for ages (actually longer than most - since November) and I really want to do some cleaning. The interior (dash and cab area) is pretty manky but I'm loath to use some of the car products as they tend to leave everything so shiny that glare is a problem in sunny climes (?). Furniture is fine though, what are you good folks using and had good results from?

The outside is in dire need of cleaning, and though I will wash it initially I want to have some sort of waterless wash kit for when I'm travelling.

I did see a set of equipment for detailing the outside of the van (on an American RV YouTube) where there were nice shaped pads on extending poles, but I can't find them here in the UK. Its a pain to wrap towels etc around an extending brush head, and in any case, they don't get right into the roof overhang above the windscreen. That's a very difficult area to reach even on a step ladder!

Ian

Not the cleaning stuff, but i stand on the front tyres to get to the small overhang we have. can get a tooth brush into the join of roof and van, but admittingly a bit of a streach.
I turn the steering to expouse the tyres, use a step stool and it all works....so far!

Kai Morrison

Free Member
Sep 19, 2019
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg CaraLoft
Exp
1 year on
Hi Folks

Ian
Hi Ian,

I always use Flash antibacterial wipes for cleaning the inside cab area including dash and floors.....don’t tell the plastic waste army ?

Kai

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Not the cleaning stuff, but i stand on the front tyres to get to the small overhang we have. can get a tooth brush into the join of roof and van, but admittingly a bit of a streach.
I turn the steering to expouse the tyres, use a step stool and it all works....so far!
Nice Idea - Tried that myself by still struggling to get enough OOMPH to move the bugs on the overhang!

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
If you don't like shiny dash plastic and I don't and use this.

Nice finish , even works on my grey furniture facing. And smells nice

Daniel
Nice one - I'll check that one out.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
You need Actiwash for stubborn grime and splattered insects.

It's mail order... I'll get a link...

We used to use it at work cleaning filthy A/C filters, you mix it 50/50 with water if you want it strong but usually 20% is strong enough, it melts the dirt and insects etc. It's also good on carpets and upholstery.
One thing to avoid is cheap silver paint, it turns it grey, OK on car silver paint though

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
You need Actiwash for stubborn grime and splattered insects.

It's mail order... I'll get a link...

We used to use it at work cleaning filthy A/C filters, you mix it 50/50 with water if you want it strong but usually 20% is strong enough, it melts the dirt and insects etc. It's also good on carpets and upholstery.
One thing to avoid is cheap silver paint, it turns it grey, OK on car silver paint though
Hmmm, thanks for the link but I think Bug Remover I use on my car and some elbow grease (if I can find the right extending soft head tool) will be my preference. I've used this type of cleaner on my Motorcycles in the past and regretted it sooner or later!

Apr 2, 2019
England, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Arto 88EK
Exp
Since 2005
Just used Meguiars waterless cleaner today to clean the van, it's in storage so don't have access to a hosepipe. I did use a bucket of water to remove some mud on the wheel arches but then did the rest of the van using this:

Amazon product ASIN B006FUT0CS
Did the wheels and tyres with this:

Amazon product ASIN B07N9C9QSS
Very impressed with the results, easy to use, fantastic for removing dead flies off the bonnet. Cleans and
waxes. It struggled a bit with the black streaks but then I've never really found anything that removes them totally. Will keep some in the van for future spot cleaning.

IMG_6217-3.jpg

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Just used Meguiars waterless cleaner today to clean the van, it's in storage so don't have access to a hosepipe. I did use a bucket of water to remove some mud on the wheel arches but then did the rest of the van using this:

Amazon product ASIN B006FUT0CS
Did the wheels and tyres with this:

Amazon product ASIN B07N9C9QSS
Very impressed with the results, easy to use, fantastic for removing dead flies off the bonnet. Cleans and
waxes. It struggled a bit with the black streaks but then I've never really found anything that removes them totally. Will keep some in the van for future spot cleaning.

View attachment 390705
I always take some away with us so our van is the shiniest in the camp site ??

Yorkshire Puds

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2020 Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2002
For everywhere inside....

Baby wipes.... the cheapest and best secret weapon.... ;) Trust me

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Just used Meguiars waterless cleaner
I'd use that much just on my car - if my van was grimy I'd need two of those - and that's pricy!

I'm really looking for the right poles and heads, something like the dual-headed thing that comes from Aero Cosmetics (no longer available - probably because it was £100 plus). I suspect the Williams waterless was is the best value I've come across - with great feedback on it.

Double-sided (headed) so you can use one side wet then immediately turn it around and polish it dry.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back