Best charging practice and vent cover. (1 Viewer)

Dec 27, 2016
Lichfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I ( sorry Goose ) We are lucky enough to be able to keep mhome at home so can put EHU on at any time,and hence battery charging, so what would you funsters recommend as on/ off periods?
Second question do we travel with fridge winter covers on, the fastenings don't look that strong.
PS Have tried searching both questions.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Van is always plugged in at home. I travel with winter vent covers on but did lose one years ago in the Lake District somewhere, rough roads I reckon.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have a Hymer with a Schaudt Elektrobock 99 , I emailed Udo Lang for 'best practice' for charging on long term storage.

My concern was that the EBL 99 has an 'end of charge float voltage' 14.3 volts. and as I had just installed two new Exide G80 Gels did not want to damage them or shorten their life.

his reply >>

Dear James,

thank you for your mail.

I would charge with a timer once a month for 24 hours or each couple of weeks for 24 hours to keep the battery on level over 12V. Keeping it on permanent charge may shorten the life of the batteries .

Udo

This advice may not apply to other chargers and or systems..

My advice, check with your user handbook for ' best practice ' but keeping on charge 24/7 is not generally recommended.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I do similar to Scotjimland, we use a timer in the socket to turn it on for a bit of charging each week, we don't then have to try to remember to keep doing it.

As for winter vents, so long as you make sure they are attached correctly and check them occasionally you can leave them on all the time whilst the weather is cool.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
AndyLes
Dec 27, 2016
Lichfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks Mindy and Scottjimland, you've both confirmed what I was thinking was the right thing to do ( plug was already in timer ).
Think I'll leave covers on till the weather improves, you know 2019

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back