Best campsites........ why not? (1 Viewer)

thidwick

Free Member
May 8, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65HFL
Exp
Since 2015
just out of interest....
There’s a section of these forums (fora?) all set up for us to put in “best campsites”.
I’d be interested in looking at campsite recommendations where our members have thought a campsite to be worth recommending for some reason or other.
But, looking at number and dates of contributions, this forum section isn’t much used. Why not?

There’s a sub-section on “best campsites for walking” which I’d be interested in.

I guess we all look at different things, and “best” will vary depending on preferences, but even so, why don’t you/we use this section more?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... maybe because a lot of us are FLT ... :D2

(FLT = free loading t*ssers)

Seriously though, I suspect it's because there are so many to choose from and what might be great for one person might be hell for another. I haven't used a site for years but others swear by them.

OP
OP
thidwick

thidwick

Free Member
May 8, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65HFL
Exp
Since 2015
[QUOTE="Minxy Girl, post: what might be great for one person might be hell for another. I haven't used a site for years but others swear by them.[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree. But we can read and be selective...
Regarding the FLT part, a campsite is still a campsite even if it is free (or wild)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We avoid campsites as much as poss, when in UK we use CLs/CSs otherwise we’re in France.

OP
OP
thidwick

thidwick

Free Member
May 8, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65HFL
Exp
Since 2015
Ok..... wrong terminology in my question then.
In my mind, a campsite can be a big lay-by, a beach car park, a pub car park, a CS or CL, a French aire, or a big all-singing&dancing C&CC club site.
We can still help each other by recommending the good “sites”.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Another problemis that good sites can go bad and visa versa so a bad review might put you off going to a really nice site. There are some good search sites that let you filter by your requirements (dogs, pubs, seaside etc) then you can always ask if others know of the sites your looking at. UK Campsites has a reasonable set of reviews, but many are old.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
In my mind, a campsite can be a big lay-by, a beach car park, a pub car park, a CS or CL, a French aire, or a big all-singing&dancing C&CC club site.

Not if you want to be understood in here. A campsite is a place with full facilities and appropriate price.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
There are quite a number of well established campsite data bases, one of the biggest and most useful is UK Campsites .. it has reviews on all types of sites, CLs , etc

There are also dozens of FB groups for motorhome camping, parking, etc .. not to mention several excellent phone apps, such as : Search For Sites; Park4 Night; Campercontact; et al.

But to answer the question.. I think people generally lazy about imputing data into any database.. and as said, if it's a free place they can be reticent to share for fear it will become overcrowded and spoiled, then the land owner, be they private or council may take action to stop it, as has happened in my popular places around the coast of the UK and the Iberian Peninsula ..

We are keen cyclists and I use Google Maps to check if a site will be good for a base for cycling.. I would think that would also be excellent for checking for walking.

Off site parking is not really great idea if leaving the van for the day to go cycling or walking, so we generally use CMC CLs or other small private sites that have minimal facilities.

OP
OP
thidwick

thidwick

Free Member
May 8, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65HFL
Exp
Since 2015
Hi @thidwick
Looking at any area in particular?

....no not really at the moment. Just come back from a great few days walking in Derbyshire. Great site too at Upper Hurst Farm

Interested in other uk sites recommendations with great walking on the doorstep.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
New Forest sites CCC/Camping in the Forest,also,anywhere between Barmouth and Harlech,walk from Llanbedre village up and over the "Roman steps" (Ask in the village) as you have to drive about a mile to get to the walk,however,if you wanted to make a day of it......Be my guest and walk from the village, beware there is no footpath and its narrow'ish.While there,Llanbedre, walk
or drive down to "Shell Island" or even stay there and walk down the beach to Barmouth,up to Portmadoc,you can catch a train back to Llanbedre station from either end,enjoy .
Tea Bag

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The ACSI app has quite a lot of reveiws, some in English. I have written one or two myself. All reveiws are of limited usefulness though as you can find two written about the same time, one praising it and another classing it as the pits. Its all very subjective.

Sep 8, 2017
Monmouth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4
Exp
Since March 2015
Personally I haven’t found ACSI reviews useful. Many sites have no reviews at all and Site Inspections by ACSI are years old (although I believe they do claim to inspect sites annually). I have undertaken reviews on each ACSI site we have stayed on and it’s taken weeks for the review to be posted or it has failed to appear at all!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back