maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I'm looking for good blind spot mirrors that will fit onto the type of mirrors used on A-classes. I don't like the stick-on/drop-off at awkward moment types, but want a separate mirror that will fit securely to the existing mirror. So far I've found:

Magnum Square Eye: Link Removed

Milenco 3100: http://www.vanplusdirect.co.uk/epag...&ViewAction=ViewProductViaPortal&Locale=en_GB

Has anyone tried fitting either of these to an A-class mirror? And was it successful?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have a velac mirror now on top of my Valvec mirror

I have a nice stainless steel mirror by Valvec .. Www.starspangledspanner.co.uk the mirror is convex and allows me to see my running boards and the area out and to the side including the immediate body of my RV... Designed for American RV's .. I spent months hunting for a suitable add on mirror. Duncan of Star Spangled Spanner who is the UK importer of Valvec mirrors... Fitted as standard to Winnebago RV's has them in stock at £30 ... I fitted on to my offside (being left hand drive) I was so impressed I purchased another and fitted it to my side mirror and it worked just as well... Being stainless steel it looks good as well... I tapped two screws through the holes in the bracket into the top of my mirror head.

Recommended

Bob:thumb:

Upvote 0

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
My entrance/exit door is situated at the front offside and contains a fixed window on which I have fitted a Fresnel Lens to help eliminate the 'offside' blind spot. :thumb: various prices on eBay.

Mick

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have a pair of the Magnum mirrors (bought from the same business as your link) - see image. They are in fact Hercules mirrors and available from other dealers as well I believe. I often see them on motorhomes abroad.

Generally I am happy with them although as ours is LHD, I would like to get a larger true B_S mirror for the UK offside - one like the trucks have. So far, I have not found anything suitable that can be mounted without drilling holes through the bodywork.

Back to the Magnum / Hercules mirrors; I found them easy to fit. In order to get the housings vertical, I put a strip of thick rubber (pond liner) under the front edge to counteract the slope of the main mirror housing. This is not critical - probably my perfectionist streak coming out! The clips are quite wide and form a secure mounting. I would not recommend getting anything smaller than these mirrors. These are larger than many, but the one furthest from you in an A-class will give quite a small image.

Philip

Attachments

• B_S Mirror.jpg
    B_S Mirror.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 58
Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Maz,
We are on our 2nd set of blind spot mirrors, did not get on with the first lot (on this van) though they were not like your examples. However did use mirrors like the ones you show on a previous van, which would have fitted our present, they worked but they were very big!
Our A class has top hung mirrors and we have attached to the bottoms of them the following:
Link Removed

They are not large but they do the job as you can see they can show two views. They have a clip that slides over the plastic outer casing of the mirrors and heavy duty sticky pads inside the clips seem to keep them there.
I think we bought them from a stall at Stratford show a year and a half ago, did not pay the price shown in the link, they were definitely cheaper :Smile: Jane. Hope that helps :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Do you have a reversing camera fitted?

Only reason I ask is, that you can fit these lovely little side cams, with fantastic vision which do them job nicely!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
My entrance/exit door is situated at the front offside and contains a fixed window on which I have fitted a Fresnel Lens to help eliminate the 'offside' blind spot.

Thank you. Yes, I have been considering a Fresnel lens for the nearside window (my van is RHD).

I have a pair of the Magnum mirrors (bought from the same business as your link) - see image. They are in fact Hercules mirrors and available from other dealers as well I believe. I often see them on motorhomes abroad.

Generally I am happy with them although as ours is LHD, I would like to get a larger true B_S mirror for the UK offside - one like the trucks have. So far, I have not found anything suitable that can be mounted without drilling holes through the bodywork.

Back to the Magnum / Hercules mirrors; I found them easy to fit. In order to get the housings vertical, I put a strip of thick rubber (pond liner) under the front edge to counteract the slope of the main mirror housing. This is not critical - probably my perfectionist streak coming out! The clips are quite wide and form a secure mounting. I would not recommend getting anything smaller than these mirrors. These are larger than many, but the one furthest from you in an A-class will give quite a small image.

Thank you - sounds as tho' these may be the ones for me. My mirrors look pretty much like yours.

We are on our 2nd set of blind spot mirrors, did not get on with the first lot (on this van) though they were not like your examples. However did use mirrors like the ones you show on a previous van, which would have fitted our present, they worked but they were very big!
Our A class has top hung mirrors and we have attached to the bottoms of them the following:
Link Removed

They are not large but they do the job as you can see they can show two views. They have a clip that slides over the plastic outer casing of the mirrors and heavy duty sticky pads inside the clips seem to keep them there.

Thank you. I think tho' for me, when it comes to blind spot mirrors, big is probably beautiful. ::bigsmile:

Do you have a reversing camera fitted?

Only reason I ask is, that you can fit these lovely little side cams, with fantastic vision which do them job nicely!

Yes, there is a reversing camera but I find it rather blurry! :Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Yes, there is a reversing camera but I find it rather blurry! :Blush:

Probably the camera quality - some go blurry with water ingress. Check the lens and see if it is fogged up. Should be - and will cause a blurry picture.

If you have the system there, you can either run two cameras to the monitor each side (aids reversing in tight spots too!)

The cameras wouldn't cost a stupid amount as you have the hardware side already installed.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back