Best Bike lock for Fiamma Bike Rack (1 Viewer)

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I can see the value of pinheads if on a rack on the back of a van, but I have only ever had my saddle nicked once in thirty odd years whilst "out and about", so just leave the allen key fitting and QR for the wheels, certainly wouldn't be soldering anywhere near any of my bikes. Always park the bikes up in a prominent and highly visible spot.

Just wondering if, in posting this just before we depart for 3 weeks in Denmark and Germay, I may have upset the karma police, expect a post asking for more info on the pinheads on my return!

Ask and you shall receive!

Pinhead main site link https://www.pinheadlocks.com/store/en/

Also available on Amazon UK

Mike

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The van's got a Strikeback which would be obvious to anyone who came sniffing around it. As has been said if anyone wants them they will have them it's all about deterrent. Also if they are out of sight they won't attract opportunists.

since when has an alarm stopped scumbags breaking into campers/caravans. They are just in and out merchants ignoring most alarms...

the idea is to slow them down....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Wirecutter has a great article that tests and reviews bike locks. Kryptonite New-U Evolution is not available in UK yet (as far as I can tell) but the older Kryptonite Evolution is for £30.

48067406938_aa8962d6f7_b.jpg

Photo of our current bike rack with two cheap e-bikes

One U-lock that locks one bike to the rack, another U-lock that locks the two bikes together.

It seems to me the current weakness is what stops someone from removing the bike rack or cutting the rack bars? Thinking about running a cable or chain through the bikes and attach that to the chassis or roof rack.

48067426048_22c8ebf1c4_b.jpg

48067352016_e11a6b95da_b.jpg

Photos of chassis. Chassis would be more secure, but I'd have to run a longer cable, and the cable might get in the way of the garage door, below the bike rack. And maybe the cable might snag stuff while driving?

48067402958_ceb61c68fa_b.jpg

Photo of roof rack. Roof rack is easier to cut through than the chassis, by an attacker with a grinder.

Then again, cables aren't that strong anyway, so this is just a deterrent, so roof rack should be sufficient? It would be easier to use.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
What ever you are thinking of buying - go on youtube and do a search on the lock.

A lot of security devices are awfully easy to defeat :oops:

Beat me to it Neil :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
No lock is thief-proof....they can all be defeated given the right tools and time. All you can do is make sure you are insured and use a lock sufficient for their value (as judged by your insurer).

We carry two ebikes on our Fiamma rack - they're always locked to the rack with a cheap alarmed cable lock - but that won't stop anything but the most opportunistic thief. Its not clear to me whether that lock would satisfy our insurance so when we leave them unattended and on overnight stops we add two Liteloks (gold rated) which join together into one big lock that goes around both bikes and the rack. Unfortunately the Liteloks are too heavy to leave on whilst travelling, otherwise I'd leave them on all the time. Also we have a full cover which is mainly to keep them clean, but also means its not immediately obvious that they're ebikes.

With the precautions we take I hope a thief will think its too much bother and will move on to an easier target, but in the end if they want two (battery-less) ebikes then they'll have them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back