Best bed base for a Futon mattress (1 Viewer)

Mr Meenah

Free Member
Jun 27, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
'10 lwb Sprinter, project
I'll be putting a sofa bed above the rear garage area and it'll be hinged in the middle to allow the rear part to pivot up in sofa mode and lay flet in bed mode. I presume because of the nature of the pivoting part a futon mattress is my only choice. This being said I imagine a solid ply base is better than slats. Has anyone done the same?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would use slats to prevent condensation and mildew.
Even slats spaced very close is better than a solid base.
We had one on the bedroom floor years ago.. I made a slatted base with 2 inch legs to raise it off the carpet.
Have you bought the futon yet? They weigh a bloody ton if you get a proper one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'll be putting a sofa bed above the rear garage area and it'll be hinged in the middle to allow the rear part to pivot up in sofa mode and lay flet in bed mode. I presume because of the nature of the pivoting part a futon mattress is my only choice. This being said I imagine a solid ply base is better than slats. Has anyone done the same?
It won't have to be a futon 'soft' mattress, just a 2-piece normal type mattress (eg memory foam), what you will ideally need to do though is have the 2 pieces joined alont the top centre seam so that when you raise the back the mattresses stay together so you don't get a gap for stuff to 'fall' into when sitting. You will also need to remember than when raising the back the rear half mattress will slide upwards a bit so make sure you have enough clearance for this to happen so it doesn't catch on any upper lockers, lights etc.

OP
OP
Mr Meenah

Mr Meenah

Free Member
Jun 27, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
'10 lwb Sprinter, project
It won't have to be a futon 'soft' mattress, just a 2-piece normal type mattress (eg memory foam), what you will ideally need to do though is have the 2 pieces joined alont the top centre seam so that when you raise the back the mattresses stay together so you don't get a gap for stuff to 'fall' into when sitting. You will also need to remember than when raising the back the rear half mattress will slide upwards a bit so make sure you have enough clearance for this to happen so it doesn't catch on any upper lockers, lights etc.
What I was trying to avoid is 2 mattresses with a gap hence me thinking futon. A lot of futons or sofa beds are 190cm wide 140 deep with the 'fold' lengthwise, I'm after having the fold crosswise so that each section is 95cm.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back