Best area of the UK for a few weeks wild camping. (1 Viewer)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Each to their own I say. We wild, do pub stops, CLs and if we fancy it, a Caravan and Motorhome Club site. Each has their own merits. For example the club sites are great if you want a few days to get your washing done, empty and fill up and to have long hot showers.

Derbyshire has some nice wild camping places but of course I'm not going to give the game away on here.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
That's the kind of thing I would have done when I knew what area I was looking at, but a more useful suggestion than some (y)(y)

Both Powys and Hereford Councils publish information on CPs where MHs are welcome, some day only others for the night.

Then going north from there are areas either side of the A49 where it is possible to wild, especially on the hills bordering Wales.

Geoff

Jan 4, 2017
beds
Funster No
MH
burstner
Exp
sorry I had to attach to your post as the site was down.
is there any where to wild camp in Clacton.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Pay the campsites for the security, peace and water, we think of it like parking Ā£30 for 24hrs is cheap compared to London at Ā£4 for 20mins!šŸ™
The problem with campsite particularly in the UK and even worse at the moment you need to book.
Booking means planing, planing doesn't go with Motorhoming, the beauty of having a Motorhome is to be able to travel around and go where you fancy at any time.

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
How about trying to support the UK economy and pay for a campsite or CL instead? You have to fill with water and empty the grey and black waste so you can kill 2 bird with one stone or are you one of those who just dump it anywhere:censored:
I couldnā€™t agree more . Tourism , especially overnight accommodation which included camp sites are the worst hit of any businesses. If you donā€™t support them for what little remains of the season many donā€™t be here next year

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
Each to their own I say. We wild, do pub stops, CLs and if we fancy it, a Caravan and Motorhome Club site. Each has their own merits. For example the club sites are great if you want a few days to get your washing done, empty and fill up and to have long hot showers.

Derbyshire has some nice wild camping places but of course I'm not going to give the game away on here.
How dare you this is a site for suggestions & helping each other out come on tell me please I won't tell anyone

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Tour anywhere you like, if you cannot find a safe wilding spot, then nip into a pub with a large car park, and ask if you can stay overnight, in exchange for a few beers, maybe a meal if not just chips with everything.
This Grey waste topic raises its head all too often, I dont see any problem dumping it in a lay bye over a drain, or maybe in a field on grass, some smallest sites actually encourage us to dump it in the hedgerows, or round the bottom of fruit trees, its only soap and water, and most things growing will appreciate a watering. But I dont leave the tap open going along the road. :eek:
Stay at any Warners show, watch the vans in procession leaving before mid day, count how many are dropping their grey waste on the way out, that I do not agree with, but I have seen it, many times.
As for Black waste, I look out for a public toilet, empty the cassette, wash bowl out with a brush if necessary, but leave it the same or better than I found it.
Come on folks, I cant be the only one who doesn't need a camp site to empty the grey waste, just be sensible & considerate is what I say.
Happy touring, enjoy your campsites if you must, but they are for caravaner's IMHO, I will continue on my quest to be an FLT, as I have a self sufficient MH built for wilding(y):giggle:
I will also continue to support the local economy, shops,pubs, restaurants, even take away,s.
LES

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
I have found enquiring at small local post office, tourist office , council offices or even police station explaining i am touring around and would like to stop off for couple of days they are most helpful. I have done this nr Cambridge , Lincoln , and Bath and found it useful. Any building site will normaly let you top up with water or cemetery if you find the groundsman. At seahaven the council worker gave me a key to use facilities in public toilet overnight saying he will be around to unlock at 09.00ish then i can give key back. As suggested pub car parking if it looks good and feels safe, onemanandhisdog do not be put off, you will find somewhere if you approach it with an open mind
1592159310108.png

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Didn't realise I needed one. What colour shall I get?

I have a particularly fetching purple one, which goes nicely with my flip flops. Get one with nice deep pockets for the shampoo and wotnot. Saves carrying extra wet stuff around.

OP
OP
Onemanandhisdog
May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for the more sensible answers to my question, I think I'll drive to the tunnel and go to France and not spend a penny in this country, because that is how the negative, hollier than thou, sorts have made me feel.

As I said earlier in this thread, I thought twice about posting the question as this is how a lot of threads on here seem to go.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The problem with campsite particularly in the UK and even worse at the moment you need to book.

It's good if you can book but there are around 4500-5000 CLs, thats a lot, and it's rare you are not within a couple of miles of at least two or three. In my experience, outside of Easter and the 6 week school holidays the vast majority will find somewhere for you if you just turn up, or you ring them from their gate. During the summer here, every third camper just turns up on spec from looking at a Google map, and the continentals never book, they just turn up and ask.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I will ask Mrs T later as she is the one who normally cleans the shower after me in the MH:giggle:

We like a freebie too however to plan 3 or 4 weeks you must either have a van with a huge fresh, grey and black tanks or be dumping it somewhere. Also with the economy going down the pan at the moment it would be good if we could all support the economy which I am sure you would agree, after all you would prefer if folks paid to stay at your site rather than hiding up the lane then dumping their waste in the verge?
We could explain ....but it gets old šŸ˜

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back