Best and Worst Campsite (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
That's a toughie, to be honest, none of the sites we've stayed at have actually been bad! The worst however was a recent visit to Portsmouth. The weekend we stayed was in a howling gale, with the rain lashing down, which turned the site into a complete mud bath. Our Bernese Mountain Dog graciously collected most of this mud and spread it liberally around the van! Our air conditioning unit chose that night to leak liberally inside the van (@eddievanbitz I can't wait to get there next week :D). I'm sure however that if we were to visit during a dry period, we would find it quite nice, so I shan't name them, as the weather is hardly their fault.
The best, well now there is some competition, I think our favourite was a little place on the banks of Lake Trasimeno in Italy. Camping Spiaggia I think it was called. Had a very chilled out few days there last year, the mosquitoes were a pain in the arse, but other than that, had a great time :D

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Another vote for Le Serignan Plage (y)
We're booked for a week in August, damned expensive but great beach, pools, entertainment and facilities.
I'm certain their toilets and showers are better than in most people's houses !

Worst is Luckford Leisure in Dorset.
Facilities were a run down porta cabin (previouly abandoned ?) and firewood was dumped builders waste (the rest of the waste was still there) - never again !

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
That's a toughie, to be honest, none of the sites we've stayed at have actually been bad! The worst however was a recent visit to Portsmouth. The weekend we stayed was in a howling gale, with the rain lashing down, which turned the site into a complete mud bath. Our Bernese Mountain Dog graciously collected most of this mud and spread it liberally around the van! Our air conditioning unit chose that night to leak liberally inside the van (@eddievanbitz I can't wait to get there next week :D). I'm sure however that if we were to visit during a dry period, we would find it quite nice, so I shan't name them, as the weather is hardly their fault.
The best, well now there is some competition, I think our favourite was a little place on the banks of Lake Trasimeno in Italy. Camping Spiaggia I think it was called. Had a very chilled out few days there last year, the mosquitoes were a pain in the arse, but other than that, had a great time :D
LOL Eddievanbitz is fixing the problem, Eddievanbitz didn't install it lol

Just thought I'd clarify (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We're currently on the best site we've ever stayed at - Pinar San Jose in Zahora. We only usually stay on any site for 4 days maximum - by the time we leave here we will have extended our stay 3 times and will have stayed for 2 weeks.
Worse site - was going to say one in Maserno, Italy but having Googled the name to check the spelling I see that it gets very good reviews on TripAdvisor, which just goes to show how different we all are.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Can't think of a really 'worst' site but used to drive past Billing everyday to/from work and it always looks a dump!
Campsite at Newgale is basic, you ought to see it in the winter! Good job it isn't open its usually 3 foot under the cobbles (from the beach) and sea water, but the beach there is fantastic!
My best site at present is Pors Peron, France.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Don't know about best and worst but there are two places we've said we would never go back to; one is Whitby Holiday Park, the other is Shell Island.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Don't know about best and worst but there are two places we've said we would never go back to; one is Whitby Holiday Park, the other is Shell Island.

We were at Shell Island, midweek, last September and we enjoyed it. The place was almost empty and the weather was cool but sunny and dry. Would hate to be there when it's heaving with the great unwashed masses though (Funster rally excepted) :LOL:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Reading some different threads today got me thinking which is the best and worst campsites we've stayed on in our 10 years travelling. Only thinking proper campsites not Aires or wildcamping spots.

Best is difficult because apart from the site listed as my worst we haven't stayed on any really bad sites just sites that are maybe not as good for numerous reason eg location, access, awkward staff, too many petty rules or weather could influence your impression etc etc.

Best Simuni Camping Island of Pag Croatia.
Big commercial site not really our thing.
However the pitch was perfect 20yds from the beach the weather was glorious we were relaxed felt very comfortable and stayed much longer than we normally do and actually regretted leaving.
Best HoHum Mexico Beach Florida
Had to include this one for the same reason, tiny little site but on every trip over 3 years touring USA this was our last stay before returning to our base in Tampa absolutely idyllic a little bit of paradise.

Worst Billing Aquadrome Northampton
What a horrendous place wouldn't stay there again for a golden pig.
Staff were rude and unhelpful the place was over run by gypos who were stealing any thing that wasn't fixed down and even things that were it was a bloody nightmare. Would rather sell the van and stop travelling than stay there.

Whats your ???
Now I see why it's called an aquadrome

Mind you I could be tempted to re_live the early 1980's, but would want to see some paperwork on that gas fire !!!!

Last edited:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
One of the best sites (we have stayed on so many nice sites) have to agree with Jim ,North Ledaig nr Oban fantastic views.
The worst which wasn't really a site but just a field .when we had a folding camper many years ago we attended rally with the trailer tent group of the Camping & Caravanning Club.anyway the day before the rally started the farmer decided to spread cow muck all over the field,unbelievable :eek::eek: those were the days:LOL:
Brian & Jo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back