Best Aire to stay overnight after Calais (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
We've done early and late crossings but now prefer early. We travel to Dover and overnight in Maison Du car park then cross early with breakfast on the ferry and have best part of the day to get some miles under the wheels. Each to their own.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Best advice we ever got when we started using our motorhome in Europe was if you wanted a relaxed time you should always find a place to stop for the night by 4pm.

That will especially apply when you are towing a car, which considerably limits your options. Many of the good Aires we stay at fill up quickly and those that aren't full will probably not have the room to accommodate your outfit without you unhooking. Doing that at midnight would make you as popular as a fart in a space suit. And the French and German neighbours you wake up will make sure you know that at the time.

I suggest that you change the planned time of your arrival.

Jun 18, 2008
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hymer B588 PL
Exp
34 Years
Hi gang!

We’re planning our summer hols for last 2 weeks of June next year. We plan to get a 9pm ish channel tunnel crossing, then drive for a maximum of an hour in the general direction of southern France. Can you guys suggest a good overnight stop in an aire, or in a town? Planning to take our toad with us too.

Cheers!

Russ
Why would you want to tow a car when you are only going for 2 weeks? That could cause more trouble than its worth. We always stop at Neufchatel en Bray on the way down about 2 hours drive from Calais. This is a lovely aire with nicely laid out pitches, it also has toilets & showers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Why would you want to tow a car when you are only going for 2 weeks? That could cause more trouble than its worth. We always stop at Neufchatel en Bray on the way down about 2 hours drive from Calais. This is a lovely aire with nicely laid out pitches, it also has toilets & showers.
Agreed, it’s a great aire.
There is no way the OP will get in there with a toad. The entrance and barrier are a bit tight for anything much over 7.5m.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Agree with this as well, but everyone to their own as they say.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We always plan a latish train and head to Aire de Baie de Somme

When I was tied to 2 weeks away, I would get an evening crossing and head for Bai de Somme services about an hour away from Calais. This was the only motorway aire we ever stayed on and we never had any problems there.
Last time we stopped there a bloke tried to break in to our MH and a caravan in front of us at around 4am. Alan and the caravan owner chased him off but he left our hab door lock damaged. Never been back since. This was early 2019 I think.

Sep 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Since 2009
Not an aire, but if we arrive late in Calais we head down to Auchan car park at Bolougne.
we have used there since being asked to leave the Cite Europe car park

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Not an aire, but if we arrive late in Calais we head down to Auchan car park at Bolougne.
we have used there since being asked to leave the Cite Europe car park
Is that the one on the St Omer road? If so I am thinking about using this. Are there any signs of immigrants looking to hitch a ride? Where is the best place to park there? Doe the garage have a bourne for water and waste?

Sep 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Since 2009
Is that the one on the St Omer road? If so I am thinking about using this. Are there any signs of immigrants looking to hitch a ride? Where is the best place to park there?
Yes that's the one, just past the crematorium. We have never seen any suspicious looking people there, even spotted the same camper there for a whole season in the same spot. There is a waste,grey and black,at the fuel station.
0B6817B4-07B3-44D4-BB40-619A52920399.jpeg
the blue dot is where we,and several other motorhomes park up, it is far enough away from the store entrance to avoid annoying anyone.

Sep 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Since 2009
The only problem with stopping at Achuan's is when overnight deliveries come in trucks and fork lifts running all night. I found out the hard way.
Hi Lenny, where I marked in the previous post is nowhere near the loading area, so after the centre closes it is quiet. The only disturbance we have encountered there was a shop alarm going off in the distance.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Agreed, it’s a great aire.
There is no way the OP will get in there with a toad. The entrance and barrier are a bit tight for anything much over 7.5m.
It is a little tight but I’ve done it several times and am 8.3m

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Stayed here a few times as well but check it’s still operational, however there’s a few around the area

50.6342, 1.5986 (lat, lng)
N 50° 38' 3" E 1° 35' 55" (lat lng)

25 Place Robert L. Peeters
62152 Neufchâtel-Hardelot
France

Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years Caravan 13 years Motorhome
Look on the bright side you will have early start for your next venture. We have successfully used it with large trailer in tow also. As regards arriving late no one bothered to mention this to the foreigners we have been on aires as they still have arrived 2am and early departed. Do not take too much notice of the perfect aires users as this world does not exist! Lifes an adventure and too short to worry too much!

Charles G

Free Member
Oct 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hi gang!

We’re planning our summer hols for last 2 weeks of June next year. We plan to get a 9pm ish channel tunnel crossing, then drive for a maximum of an hour in the general direction of southern France. Can you guys suggest a good overnight stop in an aire, or in a town? Planning to take our toad with us too.

Cheers!

Russ
Watten

DebsD

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
North West England
Funster No
MH
KonTiki 640 (an old one)!
Exp
Since 2008
No chance at Sangatte with a toad particularly late evening/night unless you park in the coach/bus turning area.
Same at Montreuil, the pitches are short but you could park in the old aire as long as you don’t get blocked in by the school buses.

Turning up on any busy aire at 11pm or later won’t make you flavour of the week.

Richard.
The old aire at Montreuil-sur-Mer is no longer used for the school buses but is usually rammed with moho's most nights. Hope this helps 😊

Russ M

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
I always get the 6.30pm train and stay at Gravelines arriving about 9pm after a quick stop at the McDonalds just along the road.
Hi
We are travelling to Austria via Germany in December. Will be looking for a stopover after the Chunnel. Gravelines looks an ideal town on the way out of Calais.
is the aire easy enough to find in the town ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi
We are travelling to Austria via Germany in December. Will be looking for a stopover after the Chunnel. Gravelines looks an ideal town on the way out of Calais.
Very easy just to the west of the town on the river, 2min walk to town.

tattytony

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2010
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
I also tow a trailer with a car for most trips none over 16 days, most of you will say why bother well I CANT WALK far so perhaps ask before making comments or assumptions like 'why would you want to tow a car'

tattytony

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2010
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
I also tow a trailer with a car for most trips none over 16 days, most of you will say why bother well I CANT WALK far so perhaps ask before making comments or assumptions like 'why would you want to tow a car'

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Hi
Here you are, filmed and produced just for you, a video on how to find Gravelines aire.

Jun 19, 2013
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Police presence in France is much higher than UK.They actually come out of the police stations,,BUSBY.
Pretty peed off with the knocks the police are getting. Perhaps you need a bit of education ‘Busby’ on police operational procedures. Don’t knock something you know nothing about. Likewise, blame the Tories for the reduction of police numbers. Perhaps you’d prefer a police service based upon other national models? I think you’d be sorry if that happened.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back