Bessecarr E410 Leisure Batteries (1 Viewer)

mike9jr

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Joint J150
Exp
Hi again,

Silly question time.... Bessecarr E410 2003 model.

I want to replace the original 10 year old LB for a decent high power, long lasting one to allow for 2 or 3 days wild...

1 - where the hell is it? Under the drivers seat? If so, is it a DIY job or do I need to find someone to do it for me?

2 - Which battery to get... needs to be a good one.

3 - (even sillier....) Does it recharge along with the cab battery from the alternator, or are they seperate...

Excuse my ignorance, new to all this but very excited :)

Ta
Mike

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I posted this a month or so ago.

Your question comes at an appropriate time, as the Caravan club magazine has just published at article on the subject.
In short they selected 10 different band new leisure batteries and subjected them to a proper test to establish their true AH rating. 8 out the ten were not as stated with some being absolutely crap. Unfortunately the C.C. refused to name and shame them on the basis of only one battery being tested.
The other two which they rated at being high quality batteries and meeting their test requirements were Varta and Banner.

There you go, a scientific test that demonstrates these two batteries are A.O.K.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi again,

Silly question time.... Bessecarr E410 2003 model.

I want to replace the original 10 year old LB for a decent high power, long lasting one to allow for 2 or 3 days wild...

1 - where the hell is it? Under the drivers seat? If so, is it a DIY job or do I need to find someone to do it for me?

2 - Which battery to get... needs to be a good one.

3 - (even sillier....) Does it recharge along with the cab battery from the alternator, or are they seperate...

Excuse my ignorance, new to all this but very excited :)

Ta
Mike

Hi Mike,

Exciting times when you get a new van. ::bigsmile: Battery Location. I'm sure someone who has your model will be able to tell you, but do take a look under the seats as that is a favourite place for locating batteries. You may well have two and you may well have to remove the seat to get to them, but it's easy enough.

If you have just the one, buy a 110ah, Banner are a good make, not sure where you'd source one in Glasgow, but people do ship them. :thumb: Best of luck with the new van:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mike9jr

mike9jr

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Joint J150
Exp
Cool thanks.

So I know a good battery now :)

Can I change it myself and how does it charge? Is putting in 2 easy enough to do and wire up for a total electrical numpty?

Went in the van today and sure enough there seems to be now battery power off EHU.
Unless I'm doing something wrong, which is a possibility lol

Mike

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the leisure battery charges from the engine via a relay, which isolates it from the engine battery until the engine is running

changing a battery is a simple diy task for most, but you need to be able to use a spanner and follow simple safety instructions. if mishandled batteries can be dangerous as they are filled with acid and in certain circumstances can explode if you short out the terminals

assuming youre ok with all the above fitting a second battery entails finding a ventilated space to take the second and running 2 wires back to the first leisure battery

i would say that if you are at all worried about youre capabilities to do this job pay somebody to do it as it would be better for you and the van. mistakes tend to be more expensive to fix than getting it done right in the first place

Upvote 0

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Mike, just been thro your process. Varta and Banner recommended as above. Varta and Bosch are identical apart from badging and available from Halfords or google for other local supplier. have fun:Smile:

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
One final point you may want to consider! (I'm not familiar with your vehicle and electrical system). Just make sure your control panel and charging system are OK with two leisure batteries. If fairly modern should not be a problem and your user guides?handbooks should confirm that.

Upvote 0
May 3, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A class Carthago Chic I47
Exp
34 years
When fitting an additional habitat battery ensure you use a stronger/heavier cable than the one normally fitted by the converter, to avoid any loss of current unless you are able to site the new battery alongside the original one :RollEyes:

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if doing the job yourself add a fuse at each end of the live cable for safety unless batteries are virtually touching then use 1

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mike9jr

mike9jr

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Joint J150
Exp
Awesome guys and gals, thanks loads :) ::bigsmile:

There is a space big enough (I think) behind the drivers seat where I assume the original LB lives.... so should be ok to join a 2nd LB to the 1st.... I think I can manage that myself.

Another silly question.....

While ON hook up to the mains, is the LB charged automatically, or do I need to flick the switch above the van door to force it to charge the LB....?

Ya see, I said it was silly..... Possibly sillier than the originals!!!:Blush:

Mike

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back