Free Member
May 26, 2015
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just this year
We got our first motorhome last week and have found a few problems which I am hoping someone may have a little advice on. It is a Besscarr E560 2007.

The first problem was that the fridge doesnt wwork on hook up, i am taking it to the dealer next week for them to look at, apparently it had a new element in just before we bought it and they think that may be the problem.

I have just gone out to the van to check if the fridge works on the leisure battery and the leisure batteries are flat, I turned off the panel above the door before I left it a few days ago thinking this would be the right thing to do, nothing else was running on the leisure batteries, even the tv was turned off. Did I do the correct thing here or should I have done something different?

Thirdly, the clean water tank says it is a quarter full, the same as when we picked the van up and yet when we were using it last weekend it had said that the tank was empty.

Apologies if these are daft questions as we are still very much newbies to this!! Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Not sure about the fridge and leisure battery's - battery's might be knackered see the dealer. If they are more than four years old try and get them to replace them.
Water gauges are very inaccurate, it will be on 1/4 for ages and suddenly it will read empty. There are just four prongs dipped into the water, when the water stops touching the last quarter one - it will read empty. It can also happen when you are on a slope

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The fridge will only maintain its current temperature on 12v and ONLY when the engine is running. Water tank gauges are notorious for their inaccurate readings as the float etc gets stuck or gummed up. Most people go by water coming out of the tap or not as the case may be. Motorhome batteries need to be trickle charged if they are left long periods, Engine battery may be ok for a month but usually less because of alarm, radio on standby etc. Once a battery is flat the soon it is charged the better any delay WILL cause deterioration of the batteries ability to hold a charge. Fridge on hookup not working could be any number of things from wrong switch positions, trip not set or even a fuse before you even get to the fridge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Baggers53

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Fridge will only work on 12v when the engine is running.....have you tried working the fridge on gas , if this works OK then you have to look at the 240v side of things.
Now I had this happen to me when my leisure battery went kapput....when on electric hook up the MH regulator was diverting most of its power to the defunct battery and did not have enough power left to work the fridge...I changed the leisure battery all is well. Hope this helps

Upvote 0

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Give the water tank a good clean, it might be the sensors are dirty. I had a problem with my readings when I first got the van, once I cleaned the tank all was good (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Nessienoo

Free Member
May 26, 2015
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just this year
Thank you all, that is a big help about the water tank and the fridge on 12v. Would I be able to tell how old the leisure batteries are (if I knew where they were!!) I think the water tank will definitely need a clean. It also sounds like the leisure batteries could be on their way out so I will push for new ones from the dealer. I know the tyres have been on since new and I've let them off with that so I will press for new batteries. :)

Upvote 0

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
@Nessienoo,
If your E560 is the same as mine was, your leisure battery (batteries) are located beneath the long seat on the drivers side of the vehicle, beneath a removable plastic cover. The water pump is also beneath that 'bed'.
As for the state of your leisure battery (batteries) I always switched off the control panel after each trip so that if I had left any 12-volt device switched on the battery (batteries) would not be discharging. The control panel is located on the drivers side of the vehicle, in the overhead locker closest to the front of the hab' area.
Stef.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thank you all, that is a big help about the water tank and the fridge on 12v. Would I be able to tell how old the leisure batteries are (if I knew where they were!!) I think the water tank will definitely need a clean. It also sounds like the leisure batteries could be on their way out so I will push for new ones from the dealer. I know the tyres have been on since new and I've let them off with that so I will press for new batteries. :)

Hi Nessie

Why on earth did you let the dealers off regarding the tyres ... they are way past their safe 'use by' date and should have been changed by them IMV, I suspect if they haven't bothered with the tyres then the batteries will be the originals too!

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Make sure they are from a genuine battery manufacturer. There are many crap 'sticker' battery's out there.
Neither the AA or Halfords make battery's, I not sure even Lucas make them any more.
I would recommend 2 x Varta 90 A battery's could be £85 each - unless you can fit bigger ones.

See Broken Link Removed

A narrow boating friend once said he likes his battery's like his women Wet - Black - and Heavy !
He also wanted to name his boat 'Psoriasis of the River'

Upvote 0

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
A narrow boating friend once said he likes his battery's like his women Wet - Black - and Heavy ! He also wanted to name his boat 'Psoriasis of the River'[/QUOTE said:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Nessienoo

Free Member
May 26, 2015
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just this year
This is a photo of my leisure battery, does this tell any of you more experience people how old it may be?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 65
Upvote 0

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi My swift water gauges are the same I just put some water in after say having a couple showers,My friend had an issue with batteries and found the radio was causing the problem.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Nessienoo

Free Member
May 26, 2015
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just this year
Hi Nessie

Why on earth did you let the dealers off regarding the tyres ... they are way past their safe 'use by' date and should have been changed by them IMV, I suspect if they haven't bothered with the tyres then the batteries will be the originals too!
It was only after we had handed over the money that I asked about the tyres (my fault) and, as it had just passed an MOT and they had lots of tread I didnt feel it was something that I could hold them to task over? If anyone can tell me how to approach this when I go back this week then I would appreciate it as I do intend to get new tyres and if I can get something from the dealer then that would be great.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Water gauges - if you open the top of the fresh water tank - access hatch in hab area floor - you should be able to see the sensor prongs or at least be able to get at them. Give them a good clean and you'll probably find it makes absolutely no difference! After a while you get to know how much water you've got, or haven't.

Battery - do you have one or two leisure batteries? I concur with above, if they've been allowed to stand discharged they're finished.

Fridge - could be anything, need a good electrician who knows m/homes unless you're any good with electrickery.

Tyres - you could be forgiven for not noticing before the sale, but you should nevertheless try for some sort of recompense, and make sure you get the right m/home tyres. Lots of threads about tyres.

Don't be put off, however. Even brand new vans have teething troubles. Your van is the same as our Bolero and we've had nearly 6 years of happy camping, once we'd got a couple of things sorted out too.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
This is a photo of my leisure battery, does this tell any of you more experience people how old it may be?
from the size its likely a 100 amp/hour. the round window by the fuse should show green. if its black the battery is likely knackered and certainly flat

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Nessienoo

Free Member
May 26, 2015
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just this year
The battery window is black. I turned the engine on for a short time last night and the battery charged up but was flat again this morning so I guess it is time for a replacement. Regarding the tyres, I emailed Michelin to ask if, in their opinion the tyres should be replaced as they are a year older than the van, their response was:
There is no official time scale for how long you should keep your tyres fitted to your vehicle as long as they are regularly checked by a tyre professional for signs of cracking and crazing of the rubber or any other damage to the tyre.
I was hoping they would give me some ammunition for when I go to the dealers on Thursday!!

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Meant to reply a couple of days ago. We have an E560, 2008, the fridge problem is probably the 240v element, ours failed at 5 years. The tyres, change them at that age, I had a blowout on a caravan years ago caused by an old tyre, plenty of tread left but it still popped. We now find at 7+ years old things are needing replacing, carpet was the last one. On our second leisure and chassis batteries and a few bidts and bobs on the rooflights etc. It's a lovely van, we have looked at replacing ours but can't find a layout we like any better. Have fun, we're off to Holland tomorrow and I'm just getting the van prepped up.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Nessienoo

Free Member
May 26, 2015
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just this year
Hi Will - Many thanks for taking the time to respond. Apparently the element was replaced shortly before I bought the van so I am going to suggest that they try replacing ther leisure battery first as this seems pretty knackered. Someone suggested earlier in the thread "Now I had this happen to me when my leisure battery went kapput....when on electric hook up the MH regulator was diverting most of its power to the defunct battery and did not have enough power left to work the fridge...I changed the leisure battery all is well."
As this van is seven years old I have had to replace a number of things and I do intend to get new tyres as I feel it would be silly not to but I am not expecting the dealer to chip in although I will try tomorrow.
I love Hollie and the layout is perfect for us so to spend a bit on getting her perfect is money well spent I feel.
Have a smashing trip and thanks again!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back