Bessacarr E540 Reverse Polarity when genny plugged in (1 Viewer)

pij974

Free Member
Mar 17, 2008
Wellingborough, Northants
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi, my parents are getting the reverse polarity symbol on their control panel when they plug a genny into the van. They have tried 3 different generators and get the same outcome. Anyone else had this problem? Obviously something wrong with the van???
Thanks in advance
Paul

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I had the same problem. Scotjimland put me right, it is because the generator is not earthed.

Andy

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
What lead are they using to connect the generators could there be a reversal in it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
pij974

pij974

Free Member
Mar 17, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi Lunarman, they have checked the leads and they are ok. They have the regular 3 pin plug to round blue plug converter lead which is ok, and their 30m site lead which is also ok. andyman, could it be that simple? i have tried it on my van and all seems ok, could it just be the control panel super sensitive on the bessy?

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I don't know how they are connecting the generator, but if its the same as I do, by using a shortish lead with a normal home 3 pin plug or (other suitable plug to connect to the generator) on one end plugged into the generator and a Euro (Blue) Round plug on the other end plugged into the normal outside socket that you would normally connect your Hookup lead to, then surely you just need to reverse the Live and Neutral in one end of the lead, or perhaps I'm missing something.

Have you got a short reverse polarity lead made up, only if you have just try inserting that as you would on a normal hookup.

By "Short Reverse Polarity Lead" I mean a short lead about 1 or 2 feet long with a male Euro Plug on one end and a Female Euro plug on the other, with the internal wiring between the two reversed e.g. Live in one end to neutral in the other and Neutral in one end to live in the other, then any time you connect your motorhome to a power supply if it shows reversed polarity, all you do is pull the plug out of the connection in the side of your motorhome and insert the "Short Reverse Polarity Lead" which should resolve the situation, sorry if you already know this as it may help someone else

Hope it makes sense.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Reverse polarity lead makes no difference my Autotrail.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

as Andy said, it's because the genny isn't bonded or earthed to the van.,. it's nothing to be concerned about and reversing the polarity of the EHU lead won't get rid of the 'fault' light on the panel. So there is nothing wrong with the genny or the van panel.

jim

Last edited:

SwiftGroup

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Funster No
Hi pij974,

I think the answer has been stated, but generators have a "floating earth", which can lead to Reverse Polarity being detected by the MH electrical system.

It is not a fault of the system, simply an effect of using a generator.

Thanks,

Ash

OP
OP
pij974

pij974

Free Member
Mar 17, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thanks ScotJimland, so can you overcome this by putting an earth stake into the ground and connect that up to the little earth tag on the genny, or does it have to be connected to the van? If so how?
Thanks Again
Paul

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Thanks ScotJimland, so can you overcome this by putting an earth stake into the ground and connect that up to the little earth tag on the genny, or does it have to be connected to the van? If so how?
Thanks Again
Paul

ummm you started somthing now::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
ummm you started somthing now::bigsmile:

and I'm not going there... I'm under doc's orders not to get stressed .. :roflmto:

Seriously>

Don't know what genny you have but I've yet to see an earth lug on a suitcase model, just isn't needed.. all plastic case.

If you have a builders open frame thats a different kettle of fish, they should be earthed using an earth spike and the van bonded to the same point ..

I'm guessing it's the former so no need to worry ..

jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back