Free Member
Feb 20, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since February 2017
hi all. My. 'Van has an overhead cab and at its highest point is 3.05m high but only for about 400mm along the length. The rest of the van is well below 3m. My question is if I go through toll stations in Europe will I be classed as below 3m which is charged ar a different rate as vehicles above 3 m.
Also. I'm very particular about cleaning and would like to be able to go on roof of van to get into all the nooks and crannies up there. Will it take my weight? I'm about 13 stone.
Thanks.
Phil

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I should think you'd still get in at 3.0m as I doubt that they'd measure to such a low tolerance.

As for going on the roof ... 13 stone is a bit heavy IMV! Best bet is to stand on ladders (make sure they are secure) and reach across from each side. You could try some sore of spreader boards but only if you really need to climb onto it and if you do make sure you keep as flat as possible to spread the weight (ie don't stand on it!).

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Both my previous vans had rear ladders and roof systems fitted and I would regularly go up to clean and polish the roof.

I had no problems with the Bessacarr, but the Swift had a Heki rooflight in the bedroom, which was positioned close to the point where I would get on to the roof.
After a couple of years I noticed some staining on the ceiling around that Heki and after examination, found the seal had gone on the nearside which was the side the ladders were mounted on the rear.

The roof panel was replaced under warranty as the seals were expected not to leak and going on to the roof was acceptable.

The seal may have gone even without me going up there, but with hindsight, I should really have used spreader boards.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Our old MH was 3.05m and was treated as Classe 2 (3m) at French toll booths.

I'd consider finding ways of spreading your weight when on the roof, or reaching from the sides via a ladder. I suspect I might have caused one or two creaks and strains to the structure when I was up there, so I'm going to be more careful in future. Try where possible to follow the lines of the internal walls (ie the loo/shower compartment) if you have to go up top. I never stepped or crawled on the Luton part of the roof.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Check each time you go through a toll booth to make sure you are charged at class 2. If you get picked up as class 3 then have a little bit of French ready so you can ask the operator for class 2. Politeness usually pays off!

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Our first motorhome was a bessie E425 I loved it, Jenny always complained about climbing the ladder to go into the luton. As far as walking on the roof is concerned the handbook said it was ok but do not walk on the luton. I went up on the roof on lots of occasions with out any problems for cleaning purposes I am about the same weight as you so would not envisage you having any trouble.

We were charged numerous times as class 3 on French payages but if you press the call button and tell the operator that you are a camping car they will alter the charge back to class 2, most toll booths are automatic these days and the height is checked by a laser beam.

We were charged once as class 1 at an unmanned exit so paid the fee and got the hell out sharpish LOL.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Baggers53

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We have an e425 and love it.
In France if you are at a toll booth press the call key and say " Je Suis un camping car " and they change the class and fee before you finish your sentence.
As stated by others you can go on the roof, but not the luton cab area.
Enjoy !

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back