Benimar extra leisure battery (1 Viewer)

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
I guess not many people are going to know the answer to this but it’s worth a go . How do you get to the leisure battery that’s under the passenger seat I can see it by removing the plastic cover at the front but to get at it to remove it looks likes removing the seat and the revolving plate mechanisms which looks like a big job . Also under the drivers seat it looks like it’s prewired for another battery would this just be a matter of fitting another battery or is it not that simple? The Motorhome is a Benimar 294 . Thanks

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Depending on the year of manufacture there is wiring for a second battery under the drivers seat, I had a second one installed when I bought mine, so can’t help with how to get to them. I think there are instructions in the manual on how to get to them

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
proably seat out job but shouldnt be more than a few bolts to undo, 6 bolts on my renault about ten minutes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Quite normal on a lot of vans. Yes you do have to take the seat out and they are heavy. Also the battery needs to be a fully sealed type either a Gel or AGM my prefferanceis for Gels, both batteries need to be the same type. You need to follow the cables back and see if they terminate near the existing battery, also if they are not at least 16 mm sq I would replace them.

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Quite normal on a lot of vans. Yes you do have to take the seat out and they are heavy. Also the battery needs to be a fully sealed type either a Gel or AGM my prefferanceis for Gels, both batteries need to be the same type. You need to follow the cables back and see if they terminate near the existing battery, also if they are not at least 16 mm sq I would replace them.
Sorry Lenny I have to disagree with you on that. On my benimar they are normal lead acid type & both have a breather tube connected to vent any gas generated to the outside. There is a way to install the batteries without removing the seats by moving them forward I’ll try & find the directions in the manual & post an update.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sorry Lenny I have to disagree with you on that. On my benimar they are normal lead acid type & both have a breather tube connected to vent any gas generated to the outside. There is a way to install the batteries without removing the seats by moving them forward I’ll try & find the directions in the manual & post an update.
I wouldn't be happy with that arrangement, have a prang and the battery shifts acid all over your feet - no thanks

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Their sealed, no maintenance type lead acid cells

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Ok found the instructions in the Benimar manual, this is for a 2016/7 benimar 201 fiat based. Page 20 of the English instructions.
1 . Push the seat all the way to the front, Remove the plastic rear vent cover
2. Push the seat all the way to rear, Remove the plastic front cover
3. Tip seat towards the rear remove the 2 fixation screws at the front
Tip seat to the rear.
4. You should have Access to battery remove the battery clamp to access the battery terminal connections.

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Ok found the instructions in the Benimar manual, this is for a 2016/7 benimar 201 fiat based. Page 20 of the English instructions.
Tip seat to the rear.
4. You should have Access to battery remove the battery clamp to access the battery terminal connections.
That’s brilliant thanks very much but when you say “tip” do you mean slide as I can’t see any way to tip the seat forward or backward. By the way the van is a 2016 if that makes any difference . Thanks again

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Tip seat to the rear.
Which is great if you have no furniture directly behind the seat stopping it tipping backwards.

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
I haven’t tried this as just giving you what’s in the manual, but I guess use the seat adjustments to tip it back as far as it will go.
Howard do you have the Benimar user manual? If not I could scan the page & hopefully add it on here for you.

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Thanks Newfie , I do have the manual but I had a quick look last night but could not see anything but will double check tonight if there is nothing there I will take you up on your offer . Many thanks

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Howard H, I guess you found the manual & instructions, let us know how easy or difficult it is to the job, thanks

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Howard H, I guess you found the manual & instructions, let us know how easy or difficult it is to the job, thanks
Hi Neffie , I did find the instructions but there is no way my seats tip back or forwards as it says in the manual and there seems to be a lot more wires some connected some not that I am comfortable messing with , so I am going to try and get it booked into an auto electrician if and when I ever get a Saturday off.

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Hi Howard

I had the same issue, took the seat bolts out but still couldn't get it to rock back, gave up in the end, Marquis wanted £170 to supply and fit a replacement battery hence the try to do it, did you get it sorted?

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
No not yet @Tezza i was quoted the same as you by marquis don’t need the battery power to October so I am going to take it a local auto electrician nearer the time as I wouldn’t give Marquis the time of day never mind any money lol

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
To get either of the seats to tip on a Benimar you take out the 2 front floor bolts pull the seat forward until the seat disengaged from the rear fixings which are just a fork that slides under the rear bolts, the seat then tips back and you can access the battery compartment.

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
To get either of the seats to tip on a Benimar you take out the 2 front floor bolts pull the seat forward until the seat disengaged from the rear fixings which are just a fork that slides under the rear bolts, the seat then tips back and you can access the battery compartment.
Followed the tip and fitted a new battery under the drivers seat, quite an easy job as it was pre wired. The only drawback was I had to source a battery from Go Outdoors due to the size. Luckily I get 2 discounts, their card and a military discount as well.

andrewedmondson

Free Member
Sep 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Mileo 282
I can't see why you can't add a lithium battery. It will only charge to 90% but that's good enough. I'm about to buy a Mileo 282.

andrewedmondson

Free Member
Sep 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Mileo 282
I can't see why you can't add a lithium battery. It will only charge to 90% but that's good enough. I'm about to buy a Mileo 282.
I've just seen this website, so it looks like it shouldn't be done.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back