Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Hi

Just wandered if anyone could give me any thoughts on the above MH. Anyone got one? Its one on our short list and saw one today and quite liked it - can't find any reviews so was hoping to learn a bit more about them, pros and cons etc if anyone can help please.

Thanks
Shell
:Smile:

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
If you can PM me an email address I'll send you an 03/04 Benimar 'brochure' in PDF form which will give you some info. (It's a bit big to attach here, but zipped should email OK).

I had an '02 Europe 6000ST (similar layout, slightly more upmarket and better-equipped), and it was a very good 'van.

The only issues we had over three and a half years of ownership were some damp in the front of the overcab (the Anthus design is different, with no join where our problem was), and a control panel issue with the solar panel input (apparently a known issue, and fixed under warranty). Check the shower tray, it is vulnerable like many other makes, and getting a replacement could be difficult.

The 'van sold mainly on value, as they were a bit cheaper than similar imports, and considered well-built. For instance, the base vehicle was the less commonly used Maxi version of the Ducato, giving uprated brakes, suspension, etc, and an easy (paper) upgrade path to 3850kg.

The Europe at least (contrary to postings on another forum) was pretty well insulated for winter use, and I wouldn't expect the Anthus to be different. Build is pretty solid, and it uses such things as large-bore waste tank drainage, the best I've ever seen on any of my 'vans.

They were originally imported by RDH in Beeston, Nottingham, who initially had a hire arrangement in Spain - people liked the 'vans so much they wanted to buy them in the UK, so importing began. They were a good company to deal with, but allegedly Benimar messed them about (at roughly the same time as Benimar were taken over by the Trigano group) so they liquidised the import business. The name was taken on by another firm who ran from the Mansfield and Nottingham areas, but (and I think there was some fall-out from this) suddenly changed and re-appeared as a Motorhome Auction company (dropping the Benimar connection).

For some years RVTEX in Newstead had an arrangement for spares and warranty work, but they closed last year. Spares may be a bit difficult, but Benimar still exist and are actively looking for UK outlets. Rumour has it that the current version of RDH (now in Chesterfield) have a new trading relationship with Benimar, and this is at least supported by Benimar's website. (Conversion specific spares for any older van is always a problem, all the other bits of internal equipment of the Benimar are pretty standard).

So, can't vouch for a specific 'van - you'll need to inspect well, but the Anthus was/is a good van, solidly built (and it has the layout you were originally seeking). The storage under the rear seating is good, but I wish I'd ordered mine with an access door on BOTH sides :Sad:.

HTH

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you have time and inclination .visit them they are very friendly people .i visited their factorty a few years ago .i just went in and said i was passing can i see what you are doing. they are on the med coast near benicarlo if i remember right .
another factory up the road is du-pont paint factory another interesting visit.
if any funsters are in brittany you can visit theautostar factory near st brieuc. agai very friendly.
cheers alan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Shell181

Shell181

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Hi

Sorry for the delay I haven't been on here for a couple of days, thankyou both for your replies, am just about to pm you 'Robinhood' - very informative and it sounds like you may have kept up with our search lol, short list getting shorter but we just seem to keep missing out but I'm sure there is one out there for us, just might take us years to find it :ROFLMAO:

Shell

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back