DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Having spent at least 6 months each year during the last 15 years in Benidorm I have just realised I should have gone somewhere else :rolleyes:.
Looking at the phrase in your signature does it really take six months to fill up?
Only joking of course, it is only too easy to criticise others and it isn't in the spirit of MHF. For example I could quote Alan Cohen when he said, during a discussion about supermarkets on the News Quiz, "the only thing I know about Safeway is it keeps the riff-raff out of Waitrose" for which you could substitute "Benidorm" and "the rest of Spain". But I won't because when I'm being eaten to death by mosquitoes in some remote place I can certainly see the attraction of having a good time somewhere else and ideally with like minded friends.
Vive la difference - or something like that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Looking at the phrase in your signature does it really take six months to fill up?
Only joking of course, it is only too easy to criticise others and it isn't in the spirit of MHF. For example I could quote Alan Cohen when he said, during a discussion about supermarkets on the News Quiz, "the only thing I know about Safeway is it keeps the riff-raff out of Waitrose" for which you could substitute "Benidorm" and "the rest of Spain". But I won't because when I'm being eaten to death by mosquitoes in some remote place I can certainly see the attraction of having a good time somewhere else and ideally with like minded friends.
Vive la difference - or something like that.

Please feel free to point me to where I criticized anyone, as tobe honest am more than a little confused with your statement :cool:.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Not criticising you at all. I was being philosophical. Only the first sentence of my post was about your post and it was a joke about the phrase about the destination being only for fuel and your statement you spend six months at one destination.

All the rest was about this thread and the implication in the OP. But even that was said with an attempt at humour. I wouldn't watch a TV soap unless nailed to a chair but I wouldn't dream about criticising those who do. It could after all be me who is missing out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
injebreck99

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We took the tram to Denia today, much more our sort of place, we have stayed there before, but still a bit on the big side for us, I know Benidorm is a Marmite type of place, just like Las Vegas, did not like that either,
I'm not knocking it, I just prefer smaller places up in the more remote area's.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
dear oh dear...With all the negativity on here + snide comments, you would think those that enjoy it dont go anywhere else!lol We travel extensively all over Europe, Asia, America, Caribbean...and have done for 30 years. But we still like Benidorm for what it offers out of season in a van:whistle:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
dear oh dear...With all the negativity on here + snide comments,

It's a disgrace and an insult, I think Jim, our spiritual leader, keeper of the one true Forum, descended from the great white spirit who has roamed the galaxies in his Hymer since the dawn of time, should declare a FUNtwa on the perpetrators and thrown them into the sea. Let's see if they can impress the fishes.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
dear oh dear...With all the negativity on here + snide comments, you would think those that enjoy it dont go anywhere else!lol We travel extensively all over Europe, Asia, America, Caribbean...and have done for 30 years. But we still like Benidorm for what it offers out of season in a van:whistle:
Glad you have the time and money to travel well. The problem is always in a forum like this that one person's snide comment is another person's witty aside :D. I have never criticised those that like Benidorm I hope, just tried to explain why I am not amongst them. But, even then, I don't really hate it either. Vive la difference?

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
image.jpg

Even our 19 year old cat likesbenidorm

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I wasn't being negative by the way. I can quite see the attraction especially out of season.

Keep me away from the beach aerobics though:D

D

DM14742

Deleted User
I agree, far to many pedestrians clogging up the footpaths. Am of the opinion that if they cant walk faster than 8 MPH then they should be forced to purchase a mobility scooter. Benidorm would be a fantastic place if it wasn't for all those damned pedestrians on the footpath.
Hells Bells that's clogging it isn't it? It would be like watching the end credits from the Benny Hill Show ! me thinks everyone would be riding around on scooters under that rule :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I must admit I'd never been until we moved to Spain & younger daughter arrived from Uni with a friend & asked could we go to the water park there. Aqualand is it ?
Wife wouldn't go ,:eek:, so that left me , elder daughter + young one & her friend. Took me towel & shorts :sneaky: & enjoyed it. Excellent, lovely day. Then a wander around all the outdoor stalls.(y) + cheap as chips. Surprised me.
Thought it was going to be an utter nightmare but turned out very enjoyable & far better than I was expecting. I've been a few times since, mainly when passing or picking stuff up from up that way & I will always go in to the town to eat in one of the Spanish bars.
As an afterthought that time we went was in June so there probably wouldn't have been as many of the 'over-winterers' about.
I like the place but then again I've never been at night & am not a 'night-out' person.
I know the Spanish love the place. My neighbours do .
As another poster said, even travelling along the autovia , I love to gaze at the skyline as it appears & changes. There's so many different things to see. I don't even think that there's too many tower blocks when you consider some other places, & I believe that now there is a ban on any new high rise development & has been for some years.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The number of mobility scooters are a bit of a menace, have seen 20 year olds riding around on them in pairs (twin seat versions legal in Spain) as they just hire them I guess for a bit if fun.

Funniest story related to me last time, was from a scotch chap on site we were on. He walked past a bar with about 20 plus of these scooters parked outside, there was loud music, so he popped his head in for a look and EVERYONE was up dancing:rolleyes:

You ssee people perfectly able to walk on them all the time...if you don't use them(legs) you can lose them!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I can't remember his user name on here but the bloke who has written a couple of books on his travels in a MH (when Bertie pulled Boris etc) mentioned in one how he went to benidorm expecting to dislike it and found the exact opposite and stayed much longer than originally planned.
Looks like we will have to visit it sometime and see for ourselves!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Only been once, granted it was in the summer high season.. but left as soon as possible.. to me it was like Blackpool with sunshine..

Obviously it is different in winter and will suit many who enjoy company, eating out .. etc .. but it wouldn't be our choice of winter destinations.

Each to their own.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Only been once, granted it was in the summer high season.. but left as soon as possible.. to me it was like Blackpool with sunshine..

Obviously it is different in winter and will suit many who enjoy company, eating out .. etc .. but it wouldn't be our choice of winter destinations.

Each to their own.

I was dragged screaming to Salou some years ago. Could remember its bad name in the 60 s. What a shock...taught me to go and make my own mind up in future and not believe other people or newspapers. BUSBY. Have been many times since.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Each to their own.

Out of interest what would you choose as an out of season destination for a few months. Even if Blackpool had the weather it don't have the cheap prices, fresh food, restaurants, safe cycling or ambiance of a Spanish town....but happy to be inspired!:)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Out of interest what would you choose as an out of season destination for a few months.

Frankly.. Can't think of anywhere that warrants a few months staying on one site .. winter or summer..

Tried it in Spain once and was bored to tears after a few weeks.. I enjoy travel.. a few days here, a week there.. then move on..
Holiday resorts have no appeal... and long term sites even less.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Frankly.. Can't think of anywhere that warrants a few months staying on one site .. winter or summer..

Tried it in Spain once and was bored to tears after a few weeks.. I enjoy travel.. a few days here, a week there.. then move on..
Exactly the same for us. Never liked sites that had little to offer except a pitch. If I find somewhere that we like then stay until we felt like moving on. Tend to always have something in mind to be busy.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Damn! Blast! I've gone and done it again!!!! Awful place...stay away! Blackpool here we come!:)

Touring in winter holds no appeal. We tour in the summer...its a diffrent kind of trip. If the wife retired and was with me would be more adventurous. She wants to go to Morocco etc.. But on your own?:(

Incidentally not been on the beach there once, cycled past it all the time, use site pool everyday. OK, out cycling today but normally in this weather stuck in doors most of the time.....

Last edited:

Deleted User

How about your home?:)

As Eccles once said 'everybody gotta be somewhere'

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back