Benefits of storage? (1 Viewer)

wilecoyote

Free Member
Aug 2, 2007
Leicester, UK
Funster No
Today I am most pleased we keep our Motorhome in secure storage (CaSSOA Gold)?

I spent the day walking with my youngest lad, and just as we were returning a home, a "green" a few yards up the road was invaded by the Gipsy types. We stood and watched as they rolled in one after another :whatthe:

It brought back all the memories of a few years ago when Mrs Wile caught two of them red handed lifting our Hymer off the driveway (in broad daylight 3pm).

Tonight I will feel a whole lot better knowing my van is in "fort knox" away from here. The fee I pay all of a sudden seams worth it :Smile:

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I know what you mean. I couldn't bear to leave mine on the drive (not that it would fit anyway) or the street. I feel very happy that its under lock and key. :Smile:

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
The peace of mind from knowing that it would take a massive effort to purloin our motorhome is a wonderful feeling.

If we had to leave it on the drive I would be worried all day.

The only downside is that it isn't just handy to do jobs on :frowny:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wilecoyote

wilecoyote

Free Member
Aug 2, 2007
Leicester, UK
Funster No
The only downside is that it isn't just handy to do jobs on :frowny:

Actually, I found I never went near our MH when it was on the driveway. Jobs just got put off. But since it went into storage I trot off a lot to it :Smile:

I can't ever remember making a brew in it on the driveway, I lost count how many I made down in storage :roflmto:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We do keep ours on the drive as we're lucky enough to have a large secluded property but the downside is when we're at work everything is vunerable to thieves.

I spend hours pottering about in mine and always have a brew in it. If Jan can't find me she knows exactly where I'll be it'll either be in the RV or messing with the motorbikes.

Could'nt stand the thought of losing bikes or RV to some thieving scum bag especially after 40 years graft in the same job.
Cheers
Ror

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
I keep mine in Cassoa storage its perfect it gets me out of going shopping with the missus its like a little refuge for me and the guy at the storage dosen't mind me doing jobs on it
I think that folks that keep theirs at home especialy if its on veiw are telling burglars we're out its ok to come
JMHO

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I think that folks that keep theirs at home especialy if its on veiw are telling burglars we're out its ok to come
JMHO

I think you make a good point. People would know that you were away. We are lucky that we can keep ours at work in the warehouse. :roflmto:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
I just wasn't able to find ANY storage near us (within 20-40 miles, indoors, lock up) so ended up keeping it up our shared drive (7 households share the drive, directly off a main road. Very steep and motorhome very difficult to manouver on it unless you are quite adept.)

Installed many drop-down, lockable bollards behind which reside the motorhome, Brian James Trailer and Smart Car. Whoever steals them will have to crane them out from behind the bollards. After, of course, removing both wheel locks from the trailer and its coupling lock and chain attaching it to the bollards. I usually put a sold secure wheel lock on the m'home, which also has a Tracker installed as well as an alarm / immobiliser. Smartie is locked in reverse, making it a nuisance to steal, as well as having an immobiliser. To finish off the security , the area is covered by excellent CCTV cameras, monitored 24/7. We enjoy using the m'h where it is parked at home and Jen uses it as an office when Hasselblad reps and Uni lecturers etc visit.

Wish we had a big warehouse place, but those available commercially locally were high priced and frankly not as well secured as our own set up!!
Thieves up our drive will have a hard time as there's nowhere to park, quick getaways are out the question and there are easier targets elsewhere in the area. Plus our household insurance and vehicle insurance are as good as we can get them if there is a loss.....what does everyone else do??:Confused:

Laurie

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
We just keep our fingers crossed:Doh: i've just had my company van stolen 2011 plate from right outside our window:Eeek: the motorhome is tucked round the corner on our close with our cars.
The new 2011 company van has to sit where the old one was stolen from as we're only allowed three permits.
As i said fingers crossed.

:thumb:ROB&JANE:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we store our Winnebago on the drive

We are lucky we store our RV on the drive .. ehu.. and I can just pop out of the door to do the odd jobs.. which I do.. also easy to wash it (when we can use the hosepipe that is .. still restricted in Tunbridge Wells)... but having stored an RV on a farm, never again.

We could have gone for any size RV up to the 7.5 tons on licence.. but we have a curved drive and 30' is the maximum.. We ended up with 23'9" due to the condition.. but our next RV - a toy hauler is 29' so it will be tight fit.

But having the RV at home is very important to us.. also we save a lot of money on storage fees.

Bob

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We do keep ours on the drive as we're lucky enough to have a large secluded property but the downside is when we're at work everything is vunerable to thieves.

I spend hours pottering about in mine and always have a brew in it. If Jan can't find me she knows exactly where I'll be it'll either be in the RV or messing with the motorbikes.

Could'nt stand the thought of losing bikes or RV to some thieving scum bag especially after 40 years graft in the same job.
Cheers
Ror

Expensive way of buying a shed ........

Did we never have an 'I'll get me coat' smiley on here?

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Is it me or is Bob getting an add in for his motorhome on every post he does:ROFLMAO:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We keep ours in storage at a CC site.

I am not absolutely convinced it is that secure though for reasons I won't go into on an open forum.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I'm all for storage - have no choice really as the drive is too small and the property deeds forbid the parking of caravans and motorcaravans anyway.

A few storage problems though:

Other users leaving the gate unlocked.

Rodents getting into the MH's engine bay - I now leave bait boxes in there and they're usually occupied by a late rodent whenever I check them. That's happened to me on two different sites.

Miserable git storage site owners who insist you pay 3 more months' fees after you've moved your van to another site and despite there being no written agreement about storage conditions. Beware of anyone expecting a year's fees up front, and ask to see written terms and conditions.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I live in mine 24/7 best security i have ever had LOL
although it does have a smart tracker and lazerline alarm systems fitted just in case it get knicked when i am asleep

the world could end and i would sleep through it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I live in mine 24/7 best security i have ever had LOL
although it does have a smart tracker and lazerline alarm systems fitted just in case it get knicked when i am asleep

the world could end and i would sleep through it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

maybe you get gassed every night! :roflmto:

We keep ours on the drive, a very tight squeeze just enough room one side for one person to get access and a stout chain across the entrance. As we are retired we are also here for most of the time when not away in the MH.

When the MH is not on the drive the car is and neighbours park at the drive entrance to give us half decent security. At weekends the cul-de-sac is grid locked you would be lucky to get a push bike out!

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
We keep ours on a storage site, when we go away in the van we leave the car in it's place so no-one can nick your space.

Do all the maintainance work there, as well as washing it etc. Quite often seen making a brew when over at the site. Take the vehicle for a run around the site if it's been stationary for a while.

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
'...if you keep it on the drive neighbours know you're away...' Perhaps new neighbours needed! We always told our neighbours we were going on holiday even before we had the 'van. Means they keep an eye on it, anyone suspicious gets reported, etc etc. We were going to store our 'van until we found it would [just] fit on the drive in front of the house. Shame it's a 10% slope but other than that we've had no regrets not storing it.

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
We had the first motorhome at home but it got too scary driving down the mountain :Eeek: so we put the new one in storage.
I would like to have it at home, but we have got into a bit of a routine. We generally pack the clothes ,cans of water for drinking and for the tank, non-perishable food the night before and the perishables in a bag overnight in the fridge. We leave the car in the van space with the empty food bags so it's easy to refil on the way home. It's not ideal but it works for where we live.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I leave mine at work in a locked yard---if it is going to rain a lot , i drive it in to a workshop ,leave it in there and do jobs on it.:thumb:
--after all ,she getting on a bit now so it is unfair to leave her out all the time in bad weather-- (motorhome that is ):ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back