Belgium (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Wow! :eek:We were cut up so many times by Belgian drivers, what gives with the ignorant numpties? Horrible drivers, boring country.....I really dislike that place. So much so we are going to try to avoid ever going there again!

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
or Italy, or Malta, or Greece......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Love Belgium - beer, frites, chocolates :)

Never driven there, though.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Beer, frites, chocolate all good and so was Ypres and a few other places.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Wow! :eek:We were cut up so many times by Belgian drivers, what gives with the ignorant numpties? Horrible drivers, boring country.....I really dislike that place. So much so we are going to try to avoid ever going there again!
Most drivers in Belgium aren't Belgian. Yes, it's boring and basically a transit country. Drivers just want to get through and out of Belgium in the shortest possible time.

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We have driven from England to Poland via France, Belgium, Holland, Germany and everywhere was fine except for Belgium. The roadworks signage was abysmal too! And we have driven through a lot of roadworks this holiday. Admittedly we had a grand tour of Germany, when they just blocked the road and didn't put up any diversion signs and the sat Nav kept wanting us to do a 'u' turn to take us back to the blocked road....but that was fun. Whereas the dear old Belgians flashed up signs telling you three lanes were open, so we got in the near side, to have the outside lane blocked and a bloody great Lordy with a 'X' flashing on it on the near side, but only at the very last second! And we were paying attention, before you all start!

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Most drivers in Belgium aren't Belgian. Yes, it's boring and basically a transit country. Drivers just want to get through and out of Belgium in the shortest possible time.

I believe that mid week is when these mass exoduses occur. It's when the majority of MEP's are going home for the weekend :D:D

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
The Ardennes area of Belgium is quite beautifull , unfortunately the roads in belgium are quite bad in a lot of places ,thought that my motorcycle was going to disintegrate going over mile after mile of cobblestone

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I would put Holland top of my hate list, but not the drivers , the bloody bikes drive me up the wall.

Ditto, drove from Ghent to Amsterdam to stay for a few days, went down a one way street (the correct way) and got a load of abuse because I wouldn't stop to let the cyclist come past me?
Aparently even if you are in the right you are wrong when it comes to cyclists......

Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
[QUOTE="
Aparently even if you are in the right you are wrong when it comes to cyclists......[/QUOTE]
Same as the UK then

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
First time in Belgium (2005?) We pulled off a main road and drove slowly looking for signs. A local driver pulled up in front of us and said you are from the UK, welcome can we help? Where are you looking for? Mind you that was before brexit!

Dick

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
First time in Belgium (2005?) We pulled off a main road and drove slowly looking for signs. A local driver pulled up in front of us and said you are from the UK, welcome can we help? Where are you looking for? Mind you that was before brexit!

Dick
Hi.
Drivers abroad,some are bad,but some are super.
Portugal,three years ago. Pulled up outside a little office block,when lost while looking for the "Motor home/C/van" Repair shop,well away from the Main dealers,went in and asked a chap,he explained,so i said "I have half of that in my brain,i will stop there and ask again" He then said he lived that way,it was a bit tricky,got up,said follow me and took us to the garage about 6 km away..
France. Delivering 60' steel railX's to SNCF marshaling yard.Villeneuve Triage outside of Paris. Caused havoc at an island,(But got a Bravo from an onlooker:ROFLMAO:)
A chap pulled up in a car and said he would guide me to the yard. The streets got narrower, he stopped by a Gendarme? ,he did a double take at the lorry and pointed down this..."Ally!". You did not have to be able to read French or English to work out all the signs in Shops and house said. "NO F>>>LIPPIN' LORRIES!! "
And yes,he did get me into the yard,i have and still do today,when in a tightish spot,revert to my "Little lost Brownie" look,if this fails (Very rarely) Another phrase worth remembering is..."Will a Blue 'un fix it?"
Tea Bag(y)

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Probably best for a lot of you to just stay in the Cold Wet Little Island then. Whine whine whine frankly seems to be the passtime whenever you venture out into the rest of mainland Europe.

Well thanks for that.....one opinion on bad driving is considered a whine is it? For your information we had a fantastic holiday. Loved most of the travelling, enjoyed meeting lots of different nationalities, just this one comment re the appalling driving. Hardly whine, whine, whine!

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
We love Belgium...Brugge ...Ypres... Ardennes ....have friends that live on the Belgium Dutch border. Always found the Belgian people very friendly.
However agree on some of the drivers and most of the roads are dreadful .
I was once almost knocked down by an idiot driving the wrong way round the car park to try and barge his way into space that we were reversing into I was stood in the space guiding my late husband back He insisted the car park was for Belgian people only and we shouldn't be there. Someone watching called the police when they saw him trying to run me down. They arrived straightaway and promptly arrested him ...there is justice...we had to give a statement as did the witness we were advised a few weeks later that he had been charged with trying to run me over.
It hasn't put me off going even though it was a traumatic experience at the time.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Well thanks for that.....one opinion on bad driving is considered a whine is it? For your information we had a fantastic holiday. Loved most of the travelling, enjoyed meeting lots of different nationalities, just this one comment re the appalling driving. Hardly whine, whine, whine!

" ignorant numpties? Horrible drivers, boring country".

You lumped together all Belgian drivers and the whole country. Sounds like a whine to me. I agree there are some bad Belgian drivers just as there are some bad French, German, Italian and dare I say British drivers. Belgium might be flat but there are some magnificent towns and we found the people welcoming and friendly.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We love Belgium...Brugge ...Ypres... Ardennes ....have friends that live on the Belgium Dutch border.
However agree on some of the drivers and most of the roads are dreadful .
I was once almost knocked down by an idiot driving the wrong way round the car park to try and barge his way into space that we were reversing into I was stood in the space guiding my late husband back He insisted the car park was for Belgian people only and we shouldn't be there. Someone watching called the police when they saw him trying to run me down. They arrived straightaway and promptly arrested him ...there is justice...we had to give a statement as did the witness we were advised a few weeks later that he had been charged with trying to run me over.
It hasn't put me off going even though it was a traumatic experience at the time.
Careful....you will get accused of whining....... :)

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
" ignorant numpties? Horrible drivers, boring country".

You lumped together all Belgian drivers and the whole country. Sounds like a whine to me. I agree there are some bad Belgian drivers just as there are some bad French, German, Italian and dare I say British drivers. Belgium might be flat but there are some magnificent towns and we found the people welcoming and friendly.

Well what do you call people who literally pull in in front of you forcing you to break hard? I feel ignorant numpty is somewhat better than most words that spring to mind and we are not talking just the once. It felt continuous....hence my comments. And the countryside around Brussels is boring. ..... Plus cites are not particularly wheelchair friendly so we avoid them.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years

With respect, that's not true.

You did not say a single good word about the country.

You complained about being cut up.
Then you slagged off Belgian drivers.
Then you insulted them.
Then you also slagged off the entire country as boring.
Then you said you really dislike the country.
Then you said you are going to try to avoid going there ever again.

By my reading your post contained 6 whines. That's why I responded.

Here's what you actually wrote:
"Wow! :eek:We were cut up so many times by Belgian drivers, what gives with the ignorant numpties? Horrible drivers, boring country.....I really dislike that place. So much so we are going to try to avoid ever going there again!"

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Well what do you call people who literally pull in in front of you forcing you to break hard? I feel ignorant numpty is somewhat better than most words that spring to mind and we are not talking just the once. It felt continuous....hence my comments. And the countryside around Brussels is boring. ..... Plus cites are not particularly wheelchair friendly so we avoid them.

Sorry you feel that way but it doesn't appear you explored the country, you don't appear to have visited any Belgian cities and you still slag off the whole country. Hardly fair comment I would suggest. However, if you say you really dislike the place, thats a matter for you.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.

Well sorry you had such a bad time whilst driving in Belgium, we on the other hand had quite the opposite experience, apart from the roads being very quite.
Our fond memories are very hospitable people, good food with excellent service and we will definitely be returning.

One thing for certain if you don`t like the Belgiums driving skills you are going to have a very difficult time driving in Italy, I would certainly rule out Greece or anywhere in Eastern Europe.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Agree about the state of Belgian roads and in my experience poor signing for diversions...

Always like the country and people though!

Interestingly @robnchris I've not found the drivers in Italy a problem. They are shall we say decisive in their actions, but I'd rather drive Italian motorways around Milan than UK round Manchester. Or Rome than M25...I think the thing is that they (Italians) seem more alert and aware of their vehicle size than a lot of UK drivers.

In UK we're not used to people driving close to us or nipping back in smartly after an overtake, speed matching and getting into a gap when joining motorway and so on, so I can see how it can be unnerving. It took me a few 100k to get comfortable with it and then thought it was all good!

Can't comment on Greece or Eastern Europe though, although YouTube does have some scary stuff from drivers in former communist countries!

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Was there the week before last, had no problems thought the roads were pretty good.

Germany, however, was another story took 7 hours to do 240 miles on motorways.

Long, long contraflows with no-one working, and the idiots doing exactly the same as in this country, leaving it to the last minute when 3 lanes become 2

Andrew

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Dislike it with a passion from our first visit in 1972 confirmed on every occasion we pass through.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back