Being forced into full-timing... Help (1 Viewer)

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
My wife has just "kicked me out".. i'll spare you the details on here..

We bought the MH in april and I didn't envisage this happening!... So i'm relatively new to it all....

The issue is... "we" decided to take my max pension sum - leaving me with a lower monthly income .... My wife is still working and obviously earns enough to run the home etc.. but I will only have my pension...

Can any of you guys give me a ball park figure on minimum income required to ful-time her in UK..

I have a Knaus A class...

Sorry if this has been asked before - it's just that I've borrowed some Wifi and can't stay on for long to search the threads

thanks funsters

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sorry to hear that. Can't help on the cost front though.

Good luck

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Fletton,

You can live much cheaper in a motorhome than a house but there are a few things you should know.

Buying long term pitches can be cheap, but you might end up liable for council tax if you stay too long in one place. CLs can be just the thing for full timers, however To stay completley legal you need to move every 28 days.

Budget for around £ 300/350 per month for staying on CLs. The rest you already know such as phone/internet costs, and other costs like fuel and food will soon become apparent. Best of luck (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Don't be bullied into full timing if it's not what you want. Never done it or would never consider it but I would think it takes a he'll of a lot of planning.
I would have thought you should be considering other options.
Chris

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Use your motorhome for somewhere to live for sure, but you still own half the house I assume and you should be fighting for your half. Even if it means selling the house.

You might find you love the freedom of living in your van and with a bit of extra money in the bank as a security blanket it makes fulltiming a more viable option.

There are quiet a few of us full timers on here who can advise re getting wifi sorted, keeping a UK address for legal stuff. Finding the right site at a good rate is the first thing, but don't be too nervous of fulltiming and you don't need to know everything straight away, there is always help at hand on here if you ask.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
When my wife and I split up, I walked away only taking my motorhome and leaving her the house and contents.

I moved fulltime into the van (off-site) in and around Bath until I found a better place to live. I am still fulltiming in my van over twenty years later.

The savings made by not paying site fees enabled me to chase the sun every winter.

Going fulltime was the best lifestyle choice I ever made.

JJ :cool:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
My wife has just "kicked me out".. i'll spare you the details on here..

We bought the MH in april and I didn't envisage this happening!... So i'm relatively new to it all....

The issue is... "we" decided to take my max pension sum - leaving me with a lower monthly income .... My wife is still working and obviously earns enough to run the home etc.. but I will only have my pension...

Can any of you guys give me a ball park figure on minimum income required to ful-time her in UK..

I have a Knaus A class...

Sorry if this has been asked before - it's just that I've borrowed some Wifi and can't stay on for long to search the threads

thanks funsters

Hi Fletton , sorry to hear this and I expect you must be in a bit of shock at the moment, if you owned your own home then you need to see a solicitor you can't just walk away from that. Jim and Armytwowheels have given you good advice.
I would look in getting your self to the 3 shop and getting yourself some mobile internet MIFI not a dongle. That should help with the internet question for you. Good Luck.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sorry to hear that you are having issues. lets hope you can work things out in an amicable way. whatever, dont be forced to take on a lifestyle or you may later resent it

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Thanks for replys guys...

I've done a quick n dirty calc on assets etc... and it's just about evens on selling all assets vs me keeping van with few grand chucked in from her side...

So I would be stuffed with no van insofar as being able to find a roof with the cash equiv etc..

It appears that Cathy has me well and truely over a barrel and shafted at this moment in time...

It now makes wonder if all of this has been calculated to occur at this time.. or I'm just very unlucky!!..

Q: Can anyone give my a ball park on FT insurance costings ... eg Double norm etc...

thanks

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Sorry you must be gutted , I agree with the above you need to see a solicitor Ive been down this road twice and it can get nasty.

Not sure on FT Insurance I know people who pay £1200 but that was two years ago and don't forget you have to cover breakdowns + service costs

Paul

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It might look even Stevens on paper at the moment but don't forget that your van is a depreciating asset whereas the house if your wife keeps it is likely to be an appreciating asset.

If you think you are being shafted go and see a local solicitor who might suggest that it would be in your best interests to liquidate all joint assets and then divide them.

You can always buy another van.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Living in a van 'when you want to' will be very different to living in one because you have to.

Winter can be very cold unless you can afford to move to warmer climes.

Only you know your finances but it might be difficult without other income..... you might need to find part-time work

If you have any health issues you should consider?

It's easier for younger, financially independant folks to give advice and encouragement ............

Good luck anyway

As others have said .... don't be pushed...... take your time(y)

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We have been full timing since 2008 and would not change it for the world. BUT it is not everyone's idea of fun - My advice - first thing is to legalise the situation - will cost money but will be well spent for the future so see a solicitor who will secure your financial position. Is the vehicle in your name ?? if it is in your wife or joint names you may not have the right to that even.

You will need an address for Passport /Driving Licence / Insurance / Bank account /V5/ etc. etc. and I would suggest that it is NOT where your wife is. Otherwise if things get nasty it could cause problems . Best to make a clean break and work towards the future rather than take risks. There are many thousands of full timers in the UK - all keeping a low profile and getting on with life - cost so much depends on what you want to do a basic CL no frills no EHU can be found for £5 to £7 per night - one with showers EHU maybe a washing machine £12 to £15 per night. Once you get into the full time living you may be able to find a farm site which will offer you a deal for long term stays. I know many who have a CL and another field with high hedges where 'storage' facilities are available for a select few !! What do you want to do - travel - in which case your weekly outgoings will include fuel and parking and other charges such as entry fees to where ever you are going. Full timer Figures for a couple all up have been quoted as anything from 10k per year being frugal to £20K living a comfortable life. Obviously there would be a reduction for a single but not as much as you might think.

Don't forget a contingency fund for vehicle servicing and breakdowns - a new clutch or gearbox can make a heck of a hole in finances. Long term you need to think of replacements.

Hope all goes well for you

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If you need to work it might be possible to park where you work and save site fees. There are a number of hgv drivers who live in their van at the yard mon to fri then use a campsite at weekends for laundry etc, or weekend security guard sleeping on site and sites in the week. Hope it works out ok

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
As has been said, it sounds like you need help of the legal type. A permanent address might be brothers/sisters friends etc. make sure they are good friends as most tend to take sides at times like this. A job we fancy in the future is site wardens during the season and winter sun out of season. Live on site with EHU and a small wage.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Hi, lots of great advice on here. She hasn't got you over a barrel she just a sounds like she's bullying you into submission. When Allan got divorced his wife walked out and went home to her parents. She turned up with her brother one day and a removal van and cleared out the house of everything and cleared out his bank account too. His solicitor told him to be seen to be reasonable throughout all the negotiations, which paid off in the long run. Don't accept the motorhome and leave her with the house. You'd be better off selling both, splitting the money and starting again. I hope in the meantime you can settle somewhere and keep working ok.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have been fulltiming since 2009. Current monthly costs are as follows;
DVLA (VED) £20
Gas (LPG) £10 (annualised monthly cost)
Phone £22.00
Site fees £310 (I aim for £10 a night sites)
Shopping £150
Diesel £20

My insurance is annual I won't give prices here as it depends on too many factors.
I try to get CL's at £10 a night or up to £12 if they provide wifi. I have a pay as you go MiFi and now only top it up if I am away from a campsite with wifi.

I try to keep a £1,000 emergency reserve which due to my crap van gets obliterated most years at MOT time....

During the summer I can spend a lot of time off campsites and save a lot of money by wild camping (parking). You need good solar and battery bank for this.

Annual expenses include, insurance, MOT/Service, Caravan club membership and a small budget for repairs.

Comments about it being cold in the winter are not relevant I found. All 3 of the vans I have had have been easier to keep warm in the winter than my modern house was. The first two winters I had -20C temps to deal with and didn't have any issues.

It is a lifestyle not a permanent holiday though and there are compromises you need to make but there are also major upsides. For me the upsides far outweigh the compromises.

I really can't imagine moving back into a house again.

A part time minimum wage job is enough to keep the funds topped up if your pension doesn't cover it. A lot of full timers I know do work from their van.

If you have any questions I am happy to answer from my experience.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Soprry to hear about your situation, however,
Also think you are being bullied, you say your wife is still working, has she reasonable grounds for 'kicking you out'? Could you claim maintenance and part of her pension? do not walk away with just a depreciating asset, no matter how much you love it. You are angry and therefore vulnerable, don't allow yourself to be taken advantage of. Get legal advice.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Crumbs, the figures being quoted for full timing are really scary arn't they... I'm getting really depressed here.. Wondering now whether not to sell my house after all as cost of storage also needs to go onto the figures above... either that or find a man.. (that seems to be cropping up a lot this week doesn't it).

As others say, don't just walk away... I made that mistake. The trouble is that you are feeling so low at the moment you feel like you have no energy to fight for your rights ... but in twelve months' time once you are stronger, you could regret not doing so. We don't know the ins and outs of your marriage and so we can't say what you are entitled to legally or morally ... you need advice from the professionals... Try not to be bitter as it will not help your health ... just think that this is a new beginning for you ... life hasn't ended it has just changed and there could be exciting times ahead . It's just that it is too soon for you to see them yet.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I think it would be worth looking at one of the Caravan club because being on your own you could go on a site with all facilities for a similar price to CL that just charges a rate regardless of you being on your own.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have been fulltiming since 2009. Current monthly costs are as follows;
DVLA (VED) £20
Gas (LPG) £10 (annualised monthly cost)
Phone £22.00
Site fees £310 (I aim for £10 a night sites)
Shopping £150
Diesel £20

Well don't know how much the op is on but this lot is a fiver more than my pension, without all your others

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I think age comes into it, @chaser and working part time as poster says to make up any losses ... I don't know what to think now about full timing .. the freedom does appeal to me. :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think age comes into it, @chaser and working part time as poster says to make up any losses ... I don't know what to think now about full timing .. the freedom does appeal to me. :)
Yes but as you have a house to sell you are in a different position than the op

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Yes but as you have a house to sell you are in a different position than the op
but op as half a house ,half a m,home . half their own pension ,half the wifes pension etc .
plus any other things furniture car . etc
can get cheaper house , cheaper camper . etc .
thats life many of us have gone through it .
its not easy but its not hard . half is half .

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
but op as half a house ,half a m,home . half their own pension ,half the wifes pension etc .
plus any other things furniture car . etc
can get cheaper house , cheaper camper . etc .
thats life many of us have gone through it .
its not easy but its not hard . half is half .
Yes we know that , but he is saying he hasn't got that

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Yes we know that , but he is saying he hasn't got that
thats not as i read it . he has decided a whole van and a few grand would be half . thats what he has .
or is his share .sell van get a cheaper one look for somewhere to live .
still say half of it all is half . if its not alot thats still half.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
If you can, keep the house and rent it out(y)
Good advise, create an income from your house Joy. You mention storage, ask yourself if your furniture and belongings mean that much to you that you would pay to keep them? Is there a garage at your property that you could keep separate from your tenants contract? That's what we do. One of our houses has a longish garden with huge sheds at the bottoms, we have separated this off from the garden near the house. There are quite substantial sheds with good ventilation and so far have been keeping our belongings in good order, either vac packed or in plastic lidded boxes. No furniture expect and oak table which I worry about and need to rehome.

What I am trying to say is don't be a slave to your belongings and the crap you thought important when you bought it, but in reality are just trappings and items that really don't mean that much. Your freedom and time to enjoy that freedom is more important.

Don't forget about the money you will be saving by not paying motorhome storage, council tax (unless you stay put for very long periods), water rates, gas and electricity (yes I know you have this in the van but it is cheaper, no standing charges etc). No TV/broadband.

You need to do 3 lists, what you spend now and what you expect to spend living in your motorhome, the 3rd list is your income, future income including property rental etc. Hopefully this will be more than your motorhome living list. This is a very simplified way of describing a process that does take a good deal of thought, but this post is already too long!!

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for replys guys...

I've done a quick n dirty calc on assets etc... and it's just about evens on selling all assets vs me keeping van with few grand chucked in from her side...

It appears that Cathy has me well and truely over a barrel and shafted at this moment in time...

It now makes wonder if all of this has been calculated to occur at this time.. or I'm just very unlucky!!..

thanks

Can't help with FT info but second what others have said - get your finances sorted via a solicitor.

B's ex also called time on their marriage just after he had taken his pension lump sum. They came to a 'friendly' split of properties/cash with him paying her a modest monthly sum. Many years have passed, she's wealthier than we are but he's been advised by a solicitor that if he attempts to stop/reduce the ongoing payment she could ask for the whole settlement to be revisited and he would probably end up worse off. And she'd do it like a shot!

So even if you're happy with the share out of assets, make sure you get it signed off formally.

Best of luck

Karen

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Costs of full timing--I budgeted £350 PCM on sites, ( over 55 C&CC price) used CLs infrequently. When pitch fees were more expensive around holiday times I had a cheaper pitch and could do without electricity for a week easily ( solar panel) gas was minimal as I used site showers and can't be bothered cooking!
I didn't have time to plan my first stint of 9 months ( daughter pregnant/ complications/ risk to her and baby) Motorhome was an absolute God-send. Second stint, I was fed up after 3 months back in huge French house so chucked all I could in m/home, few bits in a friend's barn, and drove away. Didn't have time to change the insurance so just winged it. It was exactly a year later I moved into new house.
One contingency you do need to think about is if you are unable to use the motorhome due to necessary repair. This was the only real problem I encountered. A 5 day repair stretched into almost 3 weeks! Very understanding friend let me stay ---with my 2 dogs and 2 cats. ( she's still a friend!)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Good advise, create an income from your house Joy. You mention storage, ask yourself if your furniture and belongings mean that much to you that you would pay to keep them? Is there a garage at your property that you could keep separate from your tenants contract? That's what we do. One of our houses has a longish garden with huge sheds at the bottoms, we have separated this off from the garden near the house. There are quite substantial sheds with good ventilation and so far have been keeping our belongings in good order, either vac packed or in plastic lidded boxes. No furniture expect and oak table which I worry about and need to rehome.

What I am trying to say is don't be a slave to your belongings and the crap you thought important when you bought it, but in reality are just trappings and items that really don't mean that much. Your freedom and time to enjoy that freedom is more important.

Don't forget about the money you will be saving by not paying motorhome storage, council tax (unless you stay put for very long periods), water rates, gas and electricity (yes I know you have this in the van but it is cheaper, no standing charges etc). No TV/broadband.

You need to do 3 lists, what you spend now and what you expect to spend living in your motorhome, the 3rd list is your income, future income including property rental etc. Hopefully this will be more than your motorhome living list. This is a very simplified way of describing a process that does take a good deal of thought, but this post is already too long!!

Thanks Sandra and Colin that really is good advice ..... Over twelve months ago I started looking at properties in Portugal thinking if I sold my house here, that would be an alternative as they are so much cheaper and the weather better ... that is the other alternative I guess.... but what you say makes so much sense (other than I would have no capital should something to go wrong with the van as the rent would be keeping me going in the van..)

Sorry, if hijacking thread there, but I think this is good advice to so many of us in similar situations to the op. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back