Beginners help (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
We are just in the final stages of choosing the right motorhome & then getting away from it all. Our plan is to try to stay away from campsites as we just want peace & quiet. We will probably stop on a site perhaps once a week to charge up & use washing machines etc.
Reading here & following links it seems it is possible to wild camp in a large number of places undisturbed. Are there any tips you would have for us about things to be aware of prior to us doing this? I'm thinking in particular of size of the motorhome & what it may need. we've worked out what layout we like, we are just looking now at a few to see what we can get for our budget. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
There's no easy answer to this as it all depends on what you actually do with your time. Watch TV? Electronic gadgets? Or go for long healthy walks and cycle rides? Here's a few suggestions to get the ball rolling but others will have different opinions.

As regards a vehicle, the larger you go the more difficult it is to find places to wildcamp. But you need to consider how much personal space you need, for instance if it's chucking it down.
Then you need to consider what your requirements are for such things as gas and electric - for gas I would recommend at least 2x13kg gas bottles, a separate tank or a refillable system. Then 2x100ah leisure batteries and a min 100 watt solar panel with perhaps a battery master to keep the engine battery charged too. This should keep you going for long enough periods "off-grid". Bear in mind though, a solar panel needs sunshine.

You need to have sufficient capacity for water, waste and toilet tanks to last between service points.

Plenty of info on here about wildcamping places etc. You might want to also consider Britstops, although they're usually one-nighters but sometimes have water/waste disposal facilities. Read the Wildcamping thread for more useful advice, including Jim's own Beginners Guide to Wildcamping (in Resources).

OP
OP
Treecol
Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
Thank you, some really helpful things to think on for starters. What is the best size for wild camping then? We could manage space wise is a 4 birth if the layout was right. How big is too big with regards to stopping places?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We wild all the time and ours is a 6 berth 7.3m. Easy if you find the right locations.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Clearly, the smaller your vehicle, the more nimble it will be for squeezing into small spaces. I know folk with 8m vans who wild camp but I imagine that their choice is sometimes limited.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thank you, some really helpful things to think on for starters. What is the best size for wild camping then? We could manage space wise is a 4 birth if the layout was right. How big is too big with regards to stopping places?

Technically nothing is too big as long as you can get it into the space you've got available (which reminds me where will you keep it when not in use?) but the MOST IMPORTANT consideration is the layout and having enough room to do what you do. Only you can answer that question.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Make sure you can sit down in the toilet without banging your head and knees on the walls or door as some you can hardly turn around in.

OP
OP
Treecol
Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
Thank you, have found it hard to get a good one within our budget that isn't a wreck! So I have a cunning plan.....following lots of hammering & banging, I have converted my LWB High top work van! Everything just lifts in or out depending if we use it to camp or work. It'll do to give us an idea of what we need.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Before you buy please please make sure you fully understand the ins and outs of payload. IMO probably the most important consideration for a beginner to understand and then layout.

There is loads of information on this site about it just search 'payload'!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thank you, have found it hard to get a good one within our budget that isn't a wreck! So I have a cunning plan.....following lots of hammering & banging, I have converted my LWB High top work van! Everything just lifts in or out depending if we use it to camp or work. It'll do to give us an idea of what we need.
Well done, that's a good way to get started. You may find it a bit hot to sleep in this weather though without leaving cab windows open and that can be a worry when wild camping.
Do also please be careful about using any gas cooking rings as carbon dioxide is given off and you works van won't have the sort of ventilation that is built into MH.
Enjoy!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back