Nov 29, 2019
Hume, Scottish Borders, Kelso, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Amethyst
Exp
Since Feb 29th 2020
Hello all,
I have just bought my first Motorhome at the age of 70. I wish I’d had the idea when I first retired 5 years ago. I am going to live in it along with my little friend, Nigel, the whippet.
I have an Auto-Sleeper Amethyst, 1995 vintage, and plan to camp off grid whenever possible. To that end any advice regarding solar panel installation and refillable gas conversion in my area, would be gratefully received. I live in Manningtree, Essex.
Looking forward to reading all responses. Thanks
John

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
animated welcome group purple.gif

and to Nigel (great photo!)

animated hi-puppy-smiley-emoticon.gif

JonHG

Free Member
Oct 30, 2019
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 540
Exp
Since 2008
Hi and welcome! Don't know what is around in your area and there are several different of refillable gas systems around. Based on other recommendations we have just had a Gaslow system fitted. If you look at their website they have a list of recommended fitters so there may be one near you. There are lots of suppliers/fitters of solar panels, again we had ours fitted by the (recommended) dealer we bought our MH from. If you want advice on what size/type of panel to have VanBitz at Taunton are very good. A bit far to travel perhaps but they do have a campsite adjacent and you get a free night if you have to stay to get the work done.

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
welcome to the madhouse ! I am in Clacton if you need any help?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Most important things to have are solar and refillable gas. There is a choice of Gaslow, Gasit or Alugas or and underslung tank. Gasit are a bit cheaper and Alugas are the most expensive but much lighter if weight is critical. Both solar and Gas are quite easily fitted yourself if you are a moderate DIYer, though an underslung tank is a bit more challenging. You cant have too much solar, even with my 4x100w panels I am lucky to get 1A on a cloudy winters day in UK, though have more than I need on a sunny day in Spain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
12V Chinese Diesel Air Heaters are a good way to generate heat in your camper. Just use the LPG for cooking & heating water. Diesel can be bought anywhere 24/7.

OP
OP
Digitalimager
Nov 29, 2019
Hume, Scottish Borders, Kelso, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Amethyst
Exp
Since Feb 29th 2020
Hello again, everyone.
Thanks for your welcome.
As you know I’m a novice. I think I’ve goosed my leisure battery ?
I can’t park next to my house as the road is too narrow and, therefore, cannot connect up to allow a trickle charge. I’m not getting anything now ? Am I right?

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Digitalimager hey John did you manage to get some juice back into your battery? Sounds like your having a few teething problems. I am a a newbie to this way of life also and had a few minor mishaps but you just have to live and learn and not let it get you down or put you off. Keep ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back