Before a heated argument starts (1 Viewer)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
So do britstops have the exemption or the pub?
As I understand it, BritStops is able to grant the licence in the same way that CCC, CMC & MHF can. I may be seeing it in too simplistic a way.
@BritStops - a definitive explanation would be welcome please???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Carrying on with thoughts about britstops in theory a motorhomer could Bung the landlord a brown envelope and stay there week or two!!

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Carrying on with thoughts about britstops in theory a motorhomer could Bung the landlord a brown envelope and stay there week or two!!
I think he might prefer a few quid........no use for envelopes no matter what colour.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Can I just clarify what the law is on wild camping meets/gatherings etc Is it legal for a pub to just allow 29 vans or so to stop on their premises overnight. Isn't special insurance needed?

@Jim

I'm not sure about the legalities. I guess that if the group did not have a rallying exemption from Natural England then the council might have something to say about it. Only itinerants seem to get away with rallying without permission, as far as I know a club needs to be exempted from the act that @GJH mentions on his site if they want to gather anywhere that is not a licensed caravan site.

This chap will probably give you a definitive answer, he is in charge of exemptions in Scotland.

The Scottish Government
Directorate of housing
Regeneration and welfare
Housing options and policy unit
Area 1H South
Victoria Quay
Edinburgh
EH6 6QQ

Telephone: 0131 244 5566

Email: ged.millar@scotland.gsi.gov.uk

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If there was a fire in one of the vans that was parked too close to the other vans then I'm sure the rules would soon become clear for all to see at the first insurance claim..

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
IMG_4647.PNG
If there was a fire in one of the vans that was parked too close to the other vans then I'm sure the rules would soon become clear for all to see at the first insurance claim..

Can you see 29 vans arriving and fitting in here. A crammed French aire maybe.

A fire here would be unthinkable.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I would guess each pub that is a member of Britstops will have their own exemption. It is just a guess though.

No, it's a different situation.

Britstops is not a club that organises groups of members to turn up mob handed.

It's a directory of locations that will let motorhomes park overnight. Nothing more. It specifically makes clear that the locations are not campsites or any kind of CL type thing.

Here's the current list of organisations that can grant exemptions:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
would it make a differance if the had A frames:whistle:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Having just updated my web site I was alerted to the fact that I was tagged in this thread so visited, after some time away, to have a look.
I realise that the thread is some months old, and I think all the correct answers have probably been given. There are, though, some posts which make the wrong assumptions or contain inaccurate information.
The situation is as follows:

Any pub allowing camping on their premises by 29 vans must have either a caravan site licence or the event must be one organised by a club using an exemption under paragraph 6 or 4 of the First Schedule to the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960.

If the event was organised through a Facebook group it would only be legal if the group was part of an exempted organisation and the event was a properly constituted rally by that organisation.

Camping does not have to be "obvious" or cause a disturbance. The 1960 Act defines a “caravan site” as "land on which a caravan is stationed for the purposes of human habitation and land which is used in conjunction with land on which a caravan is so stationed.". Thus camping in a caravan (including a motorhome) is not legal unless the land in question is licensed or the occupier (pub landlord in this case) can claim the benefit of an exemption defined in the Act.

The fact that an occupier of land is a member of Britstops makes no difference. Britstops is not on the list of Organisations exempted under the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 as of 3rd May
2018 so can not issue exemption certificates to 5 van sites and can not organise events using the exemptions in paragraph 6 and 4. The restrictions in the paragraph 2 exemption apply just as much to Britstops hosts as to anyone else.

The insurance aspect is open to question and would depend on the cover provided by the policy/policies held by the pub. However, if the cover only extends to the normal activities involved in running a pub (as opposed to running a caravan site) then allowing motorhome owners to camp without a license or exemption might well be outside the scope of the public liability insurance held by the business.

I noticed that there is also a separate thread about The Crown Inn, Cholderton, which mentions two motorhomes camping overnight. As that is a clear breach of the paragraph 2 exemption it appears that it was an unlicensed caravan site on the night in question.

Reactions: Jim

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
As I understand it, BritStops is able to grant the licence in the same way that CCC, CMC & MHF can. I may be seeing it in too simplistic a way.
@BritStops - a definitive explanation would be welcome please???
@Teuchter please note that as others have pointed out I was wrong. :(

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@GJH. Nice one Graham. :) It's good to see you back. (y)

Please pass on our very best to Jill, from Rita and I. :)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back